Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2017, 11:25 PM   #21
ajardoor

Default Re: What does an Enemy ''Watcher'' actually do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDaisy View Post
As I see it, a Rival is actively trying to sabotage you by intervening; write untrue smear articles in the case of a journalist, spread false rumors or call the cops just to harass you in the middle of the night in case of a nasty neighbor etc. While a Watcher won't seek to ruin you in that way, but will be vigilant and seize the opportunity if you actually mess up.
J. Jonah Jameson.
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #22
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDaisy View Post
As I see it, a Rival is actively trying to sabotage you by intervening; write untrue smear articles in the case of a journalist, spread false rumors or call the cops just to harass you in the middle of the night in case of a nasty neighbor etc. While a Watcher won't seek to ruin you in that way, but will be vigilant and seize the opportunity if you actually mess up.
I always thought it funny that story of the news men in the Old West that put a bulletin board that said, "Challenges excepted between eleven and twelve only". Apparently he assumed so many people in town wanted to try to kill him that he had to ORGANIZE them.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:34 AM   #23
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Back in the day, though, studios invested a fair bit of effort in giving the impression that their leading men were NOT HOMOSEXUAL, whether for fear that they wouldn't appeal to female audiences otherwise, or that they wouldn't be regarded as believable action heroes.
That, of course, is Watcher plus Secret - another dangerously synergising pair of disadvantages. If someone takes Secret plus Watcher on 15-, it may be quite difficult for the GM to avoid making the Secret a bigger problem than it should be. Though the classic Hollywood "beard" is a useful management strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Enemy "Watcher"(Paparazzi) is a good one for any famous person. Maybe even mandatory depending on setting.
I recently ran across a little story showing how this works in real life, and how it feels for a basically innocent bystander to be caught by the edge of the spotlight beam. In GURPS terms, Taylor Swift clearly has Watcher on 15- (if not "Full Time"), is entirely capable of handling it, and can almost turn it into an advantage; it's actually a prerequisite when your Very Wealthy job is "Celebrity". It's just a weird life by normal private citizen standards.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:59 AM   #24
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
... Shyness plus Watcher (Press) is one of those Really Bad Idea disadvantage combos, though GURPS doesn't have explicit rules for being driven to a nervous breakdown.
I would think the Fright Check rules would work, with discovery that one has been watched yet again as the event that triggers a check.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:40 AM   #25
evileeyore
Banned

Paranoia plus Watcher has got to drive someone right up the wall.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #26
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Paranoia plus Watcher has got to drive someone right up the wall.
That could itself be a result of Shyness plus Watcher, or of having a Watcher that you don't know why they're watching you (knowing one is being stalked is not good for one's mental health, even if the stalker never does anything overt).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:10 PM   #27
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
J. Jonah Jameson.
Eventually. There was a time when Jameson was hiring mercenaries and tele-operating robots to outright attack Spider-Man.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 04:06 PM   #28
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I would think the Fright Check rules would work, with discovery that one has been watched yet again as the event that triggers a check.
I think we're leaning into the more severe forms of social anxiety here, but that's a complex subject. There's social anxiety as in straight up "fear of groups of people" (treating them like an irrational physical threat - like a phobia of dogs makes you afraid of puppies even though they're not particularly dangerous), and then there's the more common form of social anxiety where the sufferer is afraid of what other people think about them. In GURPS they're probably both dealt with the phobia mechanics, it's just the subtleties of when the phobia is triggered and what kinds of quirks/disads you get from your fright checks that distinguishes them.

I think the first kind of person would still hate the Watcher but would probably be "ok-ish" as long as they're not currently in their hair, but the second kind would still have the horrors between encounters about if the Watcher is out there somewhere, judging them.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #29
Flyndaran
Untagged

Sometimes social anxiety can be "just" like someone turned up your metabolic volume and fear without any thoughts involved.
During a severe attack, I lost 13 lbs in 9 days while still eating. This was long before I developed an actual hyperthyroid which didn't feel as intense as that attack.

Fear is often very individual in cause, effect, and response. So much so, that Fear Checks never sound very realistic to me. I use them as they're better than nothing, of course.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:52 AM   #30
CoyoteGestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Not personally taking direct action to immediately harm the watched isn't the same as "doing nothing".

It's also worth keeping in mind that a watcher can be a treasure trove of information for bad guys that themselves are more of the direct-action type. Someone that knows everything about you, your habits, and your weaknesses, and has no reason not to tell those bad guys can certainly be disadvantageous.
For an interesting variant, the risk doesn't even have to be that they expose your activities intentionally. A well-intentioned biographer of a socially prominent PC, or a nosy relative who's a compulsive diarist, could be a menace in this way just because they keep records of what you do and don't have very good security (either physical or electronic) on their notes, so some hostile party (whether a short-term opponent or another Enemy) could find out what you're doing by snooping on the Watcher instead.

In some settings, such a Watcher might even be your helpful house AI trying to predict your needs, or your enchanted magic-school yearbook that keeps a record of their graduates' adventures.
CoyoteGestalt is offline   Reply With Quote