Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #1
Gnomasz

Default [Roma Arcana] Help me understand the occupational templates

I have a hard time trying to understand how the job descriptions fit the character templates.

The Legionary's job is Struggling and supports only Status -1.
  • Why is the Wealth (Struggling) disadvantage only optional?
  • Why isn't Status -1 even an option? You couldn't support the template's Status 0 at all.

The Sorcerer and the Surgeon have Comfortable jobs (paying $1400 on average, including the normal margin of success) -- how can they be Struggling or Wealthy?

Also, the Courtesan, Gladiator, Sorcerer and the Surgeon have wealth levels above their Status, while Characters (p. 265) states that living above your Status can earn a bad Reputation or qualify as an OPH -- I guess it's not the case for those roles, as they are supposed to earn much without Status?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Roma Arcana] Help me understand the occupational templates

As I read it, all of the job descriptions attached to the templates in Fantasy are typical examples of those jobs, i.e., that's what you'd get if you exactly met the prereqs and didn't have any other unusual circumstances. For example, the Legionary is described as a "rank-and-file" member of the legions, while Sorcerers are described as "usually self-employed" (emphasis mine). Jobs can vary, however - a job should always be tweaked to make the character make sense, if possible. Since the Legionary template doesn't make Struggling Wealth the default, it's best to assume that a legionary built with it is a more-successful one than typical - either they've managed to lay their hands on some loot and invested it well instead of squandering it, they've got some kind of side-job that pays extra money, or some other reason. Likewise, a character built with the Surgeon template who takes Wealthy probably has a better-than-average job. Perhaps their notable skill has already been recognized (the template does give them Surgery two levels higher than the job prereq!), or they just have a bunch of wealthy clients, or whatever.

I'll admit, the Legionary template not having Status -1 as a disad option does seem like an oversight. I'd add it in.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Gnomasz

Makes sense, thank you!

Now that I've read again about "Status" on pp. Fantasy 221-222, I'm not sure if the Status-1 thing is an oversight on the Legionary template, or a deliberate decision that just wasn't explained thoroughly. The paragraphs say you're either a plebeian at Status 0-3 or a freedman at Status -2, and Status -1 seems not to be a thing. But I think it's easier to assume that plebeians can have Status -1, and add it to the template.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
The paragraphs say you're either a plebeian at Status 0-3 or a freedman at Status -2, and Status -1 seems not to be a thing. But I think it's easier to assume that plebeians can have Status -1, and add it to the template.
Yeah, I think that makes more sense. From what I understand of Roman culture, I'd actually not put freedmen at Status -2 - that's supposed to represent the absolute lowest people in society, which I don't think freedmen really were. They had limited rights, it's true, but they could be employed and even own their own businesses, and their children could rise higher. Personally, I'd reserve Status -2 in Roman society to foreign barbarians, poor slaves, and very poor "free" people. Status -1 would be the majority of freedmen, poor plebians, and "respectable" slaves (like Greek tutors), while Status 0 would be wealthier plebians, poor patricians, and so forth.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost of living, jobs, occupational templates, roma arcana