Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #1
Thebigboy

Default New GURPS player/GM here. Trying to build a specific kind of buff.

I have a character who can play guitar. I want a to build a buff where if he’s with his friends at a campfire or whatever, he can play the guitar and give some kind of non-magical inspiration bonus. I was thinking of a something where He could play the guitar, and as long as he plays well (doesn’t fail the roll) everyone gets 1 point (unless they have a disadvantage where they don’t care for it, such as killjoy). This point (points) could be spent by adding it to any roll the player chooses. Obviously there would be a limit of some sort, but that’s the idea.

English isn’t my first language so excuse me for spelling errors.
Thebigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: New GURPS player/GM here. Trying to build a specific kind of buff.

So I'd start with Beneficial Song from Enhancements, an Affliction with Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Playing instrument, -25%; Malediction 1, +100%, Reduced Duration, 1/60, -35%; Selective Area, +20% (+110%). I'd add Triggered Delay (+50%) and grants advantage: High Purpose 1 (+50%). So that's +210%, for 31 points, plus Limited Use (1/day) (-40%) and Immediate Preparation Required, 1 minute (-30%). That makes it +140%, or 24 points, which sounds reasonable. High Purpose would normally need a specific focus, but since you'll only have it for one action I think we can forgive that.

So, if you play a guitar for at least 1 minute, people you choose within 2 yards of you get a +1 bonus which they can use. They activate this bonus with a trivial action and the bonus lasts for 1 second. 24 points

Something like that.

That's actually pretty good. Might make a good power-up for a DF Bard.

Edit: Good point Celjabba. You can't afflict this on a person who already have one of them.

Last edited by Anders; 07-24-2020 at 11:57 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

At its most basic, this is a Beneficial Affliction (Basic Page 36). I suggest using modular ability (Basic Page 71) as the advantage it bestows. If you don't have the powers book, use the cosmic modular abilities. You'll want to extend the duration on the affliction as well--- when the duration runs out, they won't have the modular ability anymore. Use extended duration from page 105.

That gives you the essentials of what you need. If you want to get grittier:

Accessibility (requires playing musical instrument) (page 110) -25%
Preparation required (10 minutes) (page 114) -30%
Malediction 1 (page 106) +100%
Sense-Based (hearing)(page 109) -20%
Area Effect 2 yards (page (102) +50%

If you have access to the powers book, change preparation required to immediate preparation required, and build a fancier modular abilities.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
Celjabba

Afflicting a destiny point (GURPS Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys p5) would be a possibility.

Affliction 1 (
Beneficial Affliction+0%,
require Musical Instrument roll -10%,
Immediate Preparation Required, 1 hour -75%, Limited Use (1/day) ,-40%;
Emanation, -20%; Malediction 1, +100%; Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Selective Area, +20%;
Extended Duration(permanent until used once), +150%;
destiny point, +50%)
[33].

If you play for one hour while concentrating on helping your friends, people within 2 yards of you that you choose and who elect not to resist get one single use of destiny point (per GURPS Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys p5 ).

This can be very powerful if stacked multiple time, so I would enforce a limit on the number of destiny point a character can have (3 by the book) !

Last edited by Celjabba; 07-24-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Afflicting a destiny point (GURPS Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys p5) would be a possibility.

Affliction 1 (
Emanation, -20%; Malediction 1, +100%; Area Effect, 2 yards, +50%; Selective Area, +20%;
destiny point, +50%)
[33].

If you play for one hour while concentrating on helping your friends, people within 2 yards of you that you choose and who elect not to resist get one single use of destiny point (per GURPS Power-Ups 5: Impulse Buys p5 ).

This can be very powerful if stacked multiple time, so I would enforce a limit on the number of destiny point a character can have (3 by the book) !
Two slight things imo;

A level of Destiny would more accurately be 15pts (1 lvl Destiny + 1 more recharge)

Without cumulative, someone can only gain one use of this at a time AND only once per campaign. However, the second part can likely be ignored by slapping Game Time onto it and saying that you need to hear the song again as 'good enough' for the in game time.

Cumulative would remove both and let you stack 1 DP per night... which seems perfectly fine to me, especially for that giant +400% cost.
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:30 PM   #6
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
Two slight things imo;

A level of Destiny would more accurately be 15pts (1 lvl Destiny + 1 more recharge)

Without cumulative, someone can only gain one use of this at a time AND only once per campaign. However, the second part can likely be ignored by slapping Game Time onto it and saying that you need to hear the song again as 'good enough' for the in game time.

Cumulative would remove both and let you stack 1 DP per night... which seems perfectly fine to me, especially for that giant +400% cost.
I am suggesting destiny point, not destiny.

So,
-5 cp / DP
-you can definitively have and use several at the same time (up to 3)
-they normally refresh at the rate of one per game session, but I made them "one use only" with the conditional permanent.
Afflicting permanent advantages is normally frowned upon, but I think making them effectively "one use only" is not too abusive.

You could abuse such a build to get around the refresh rate, however, so ... GM beware.

Edit : just reread cumulative and I see your point. It is probably needed.

Affliction 1 (
Cumulative, +400%;
destiny point, +50%)
[73]

Last edited by Celjabba; 07-24-2020 at 11:43 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 11:55 PM   #7
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
I am suggesting destiny point, not destiny.
I think that's the part that confuses me. A single point is 1pt, or +10%. I think I'd actually be okay with that, Cumulative, and Accessibility "Not someone with a floating point from this".
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote