Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 07-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #1
AllenOwen

Default Old AD&D modules

Has anyone taken old AD&D modules and used them in Dungeon Fantasy? I think i'd be rather straightforward to do so..
AllenOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:15 PM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Old AD&D modules

I haven't done it, but they should work fine. The magic system is different, but apart from that...
Old 07-06-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOwen View Post
Has anyone taken old AD&D modules and used them in Dungeon Fantasy? I think i'd be rather straightforward to do so..
I keep toying with the idea of doing this to Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. If ever there were an AD&D adventure that called out for a GURPS treatment, this is it.

I did run White Plume Mountain under Dungeon Fantasy about a decade ago. Worked well, as best I remember.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
AllenOwen

I figured as much. The hardest part would be GURPSifying the specific monsters in AD&D and the specific spells. Such as the catoblepas(sp), or Bigby's Interposing Hand, for examples.

But, I imagine there might be a spell in the DFRPG Spells book that might suffice, or you could look through GURPS Magic if you need to to find a GURPS equivalent for the specific spells. You may never get an exact match, but it will be close enough. I imagine. I like Forgotten Realms, but I think GURPS has spoiled me, hence the question.
AllenOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
sparcipx

I bought the DFRPG box set on clearance back in February, and one of the first things I'd planned to do was convert the Basic D&D Module "The Lost City" to DFRPG. Never got around to it.
sparcipx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #6
b-dog

One thing to remember is that DF has way more powerful PCs than AD&D. Plus AD$D has a lot of purely physical monsters and DF PCs have much more access to magic so you will need to upgrade the monsters to give them more supernatural abilities and magic powers or else the DF PCs will route them.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
DemiBenson

Yup, and it worked fine. Just don’t try to do a one-to-one conversation - do a conversion of what it feels like to play.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:02 AM   #8
robertsconley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I haven't done it, but they should work fine. The magic system is different, but apart from that...
Not specifically with Dungeon Fantasy but all the time with GURPS Fantasy. There are two things I did.

1) If there was a GURPS equivalent to a creature I used it
2) If not then I used levels and hit dice as a rough gauge of how to stat out the character. In general I found equating 5th level with 150 point served as a good baseline.

However with Dungeon Fantasy that number should be increased. What you should aim for is figuring out what 5th level translates to in your DF campaign. The resulting scaling works out better then trying to come up with a 1st level equivalent or a per level or per HD point total.
robertsconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #9
GMJer

I just recently finished using The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth with our DF group. It's actually a mashup between that module and Forge of Fury, but you aren't asking about the 3e stuff.

Getting encounter levels right was the hardest part about it for me. In some cases there were hoards of low level humanoids in the module that had to be pared down for DF. Some monsters translated over a little wonky. I'm looking at you cockatrice (or maybe I shouldn't be, ahem) and slimes. And whole encounters built around invisibility that just run differently in GURPS. The players were moving around so the invisible NPCs were constantly trying to position themselves for their one invisible attack and if they move more than one hex their Stealth check is -5. So the players had a good chance of hearing them. I would suggest using GM fiat and placing the bad guys where needed or giving them some type of silence along with invisibility or just go ahead and run it with GURPS rules. It did work out after all, just not as it would have in 1st edition other game.

Other differences I didn't really see coming included skills, land travel times, and pacing. As I recall (and it has been decades) in the other game if you wanted to use a boat or go for a swim etc. anyone could pretty much just do it whereas in DF you have skills and defaults. For land travel, distances needed to be adjusted to create the specified travel times (I tried to get that right because resource management is supposedly part of the old system charm). And our group could usually replenish their magic using resources by resting for an hour rather than overnight, and hardly ever had an in game reason to go back to "town".

Regardless, those old modules are still loads of fun if folks haven't already read them or played through them of course.

Cheers
GMJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 02:30 PM   #10
Dalin

I’ve used many D&D adventures from all five editions with DFRPG. I don’t usually do a formal conversion; I just wing it as we go. Lots of swapping monsters or making up new powers that fit on the fly. Treasure always needs adjustment, but I just put in stuff that makes sense.

For AD&D, I’ve run The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, White Plume Mountain, Pharoah, and Oasis of the White Palm.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote