Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #11
Rasputin

Default Re: Bring on Hall of Judgment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Don't forget the umlaut over the n.
Or the patron saint of quality footwear.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #12
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
[*]The adventure will be mildly de-Norse’d, in keeping with the generic nature of the DFRPG.
Good idea. A Norse adventure would be really cool so there is no way the GURPS would want that. Don’t use trolls, dwarves and alfar as creature types to give players a feeling that they are adventuring in Mythic Thule; go for a really GURPSy style with all sorts of monsters from random mythologies and video games so it makes no sense.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #13
Ulairi

I'm happy and excited to see DF RPG see some more support. I think adventures like this are a great way to support the game. I'll be purchasing it and playing it.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:55 PM   #14
ravenfish

While not going as far as B-dog (at least, I think B-dog's sentiments are ones of vicious sarcasm rather than euphoric agreement), I agree in hoping that, even if names are necessarily genericized, enough Norsedom remains in the adventure to give it a sense of place and pleasant unity of theme.

While on the subject of hopes, I hope that the advertised wilderness travelling rules are written to be compatible with those expressed in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 16 rather than being an alternate and incompatible option. It always strikes me as inelegant when rules for the same thing multiply needlessly.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #15
Tom H.

Quote:
More details and cool stuff will be discussed as things develop, but I can confirm:
. . .
Thank you for this update. This was the information I was looking for.

Good luck with the development.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #16
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
While not going as far as B-dog (at least, I think B-dog's sentiments are ones of vicious sarcasm rather than euphoric agreement), I agree in hoping that, even if names are necessarily genericized, enough Norsedom remains in the adventure to give it a sense of place and pleasant unity of theme.
Judging by Doug's comments, it sounds like he's disengaging it from specific locations and deities but keeping recognizably Scandinavian (much as, for example, The Pagoda of Worlds is, one hopes, recognizably Asian without being a particular pagoda in, say, Feng county, Baoji prefecture, Shaanxi province).

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #17
Tom H.

Quote:
  • The adventure will be mildly de-Norse’d, in keeping with the generic nature of the DFRPG
I may also be in agreement with those who are wary of too much alteration from the source of the adventure for the following reasons.

Consider that your new Dragon Heresy game does well and that SJ Games and you agree to more crossover support into Dungeon Fantasy.

Furthermore, assuming that the world background in Dragon Heresy is rich and well received, it could serve as one version of a needed, crossover campaign setting for DFRPG.

In these cases, it may be important to stay faithful to the source material setting for backward compatibility with Hall of Judgement.

The main reason that I would have considered conforming to SJ Dungeon Fantasy RPG "background" is to reuse entities from Monsters, but it appears that you will already provide new ones of your own.

For example, in a recent demo of DFRPG that I ran, I ported my adventure from D&D that relied on Kobolds as the obligatory minions. For the port, I changed Kobolds to Goblin Kin so as to readily use the DFRPG statisitcs.

You appear to have no need for this constraint.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #18
b-dog

Just imagine if this adventure was set in in the real world Nordic lands then the that might be way too convenient for a Dungeon Master to use real world maps use for traveling to get to the site of the adventure. And since there is no game world for the Dungeon Fantasy game it is really GURPSy to just have it the adventure be set somewhere up north in a land that the Dungeon Master has to flesh out by himself rather than just having it tie in easily into a real world location. Also real world gods like Odin, Thor and Tyr are no good because they are known and have information about them that can be accessed to explain them and their spheres of influence and how they are worshipped. It is much better to just make up some vague god of the north that nobody knows and then have a generic religion that is sufficiently bland. I mean what kind of GURPS player could possibly change Odin to a different name if they didn’t like it? Using Thor as a god might make people think about his hammer and his power over lightning. It is much better to have a god that nobody knows anything about.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #19
Tom H.

Sorry to bust your bubble b-dog ;-), but even if the Hall of Judgement original setting was used, the fictitious continent of Etera does not appear to directly translate to the historical viking geography, although it appears much of the mythology would be intact.

I am speculating on this from the limited information gleaned from the new Kickstarter for Douglas Cole's Dragon Heresy RPG.

P.S. I for one don't mind the creativity encouraged by a fictitious setting but do agree that developed support material is often a benefit.

Last edited by Tom H.; 04-02-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #20
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Just imagine if this adventure was set in in the real world Nordic lands then the that might be way too convenient for a Dungeon Master to use real world maps use for traveling to get to the site of the adventure.
Just imagine if a GM used the barest most minuscule amount of effort and changed some names and locations to fit it to the world in which they were running in.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote