Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 08-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
cptbutton

Default Where to blog for my campaign?

I was gassing on elsewhere about the early era Centrum Light campaign I am slowly organizing, and someone asked me where the blog for it was. There isn't a blog, or much of anything outside my head except maybe a scattering of posts here. I'd be running this on an online platform.

What is the best way to do this sort of thing? I mean post the rules, setting details, my desires and intentions for the game. What do people recommend?

Is a blog a good way to do this? Which platforms are better or worse?

I had a livejournal account years and years ago, but abandoned it when they changed the ToS in nasty ways, or so I heard.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:12 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Where to blog for my campaign?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
I had a livejournal account years and years ago, but abandoned it when they changed the ToS in nasty ways, or so I heard.
The ToS are now in Russian, which is why I mostly abandoned LJ. Dreamwidth is technically similar, and is run by the people who originally set up LJ.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:03 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I use blogspot to show things to the world, but google docs to track documents for my players. Blogspot looks nicer, but google docs is easier to edit and create.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
RogerBW

If you want to make individual posts talking about what's going on, blogspot/blogger or wordpress. (This gives you relatively easy-to-use post creation tools and reasonable commenting.) Dreamwidth is harder to work with as a commenter (no rss feeds for example; that's an incentive for people to sign up with Dreamwidth).

If you want to put up information for the players, Google Docs or (paid) Obsidian Portal which gives you a campaign wiki and such like.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 06:46 AM   #5
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
If you want to make individual posts talking about what's going on, blogspot/blogger or wordpress. (This gives you relatively easy-to-use post creation tools and reasonable commenting.) Dreamwidth is harder to work with as a commenter (no rss feeds for example; that's an incentive for people to sign up with Dreamwidth).
I am not an expert on Dreamwidth (it feels like kind of a UK thing) but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.dreamwidth.org/support/faqbrowse?faqid=117
Can I get an RSS or Atom feed of my Dreamwidth journal?
Dreamwidth Studios has RSS and Atom feeds for all accounts. You can access these at:

https://username.dreamwidth.org/data/rss
https://username.dreamwidth.org/data/atom

You can replace username with the name of any account.

You can also access feeds for entries with a specific tag by appending ?tag=tagname to the end of the URL.
wordpress hosted by automattic / wordpress dot com is powerful but they are changing the web interface to make it harder to access the code directly, and they have been caught editing someone's blog over the J. Janiv affair. So if fb / twitter make you uncomfortable I would tread carefully with Automattic.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #6
RogerBW

Yes, but as I apparently failed to make clear, Dreamwidth doesn't give you RSS feeds of the comments on a journal - unlike blogger and wordpress.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Yes, but as I apparently failed to make clear, Dreamwidth doesn't give you RSS feeds of the comments on a journal - unlike blogger and wordpress.
Ok, wow, that is a new workflow to me! Aside from podcasting, I never really saw the need for RSS, although it would be good for the sites which update seldom and on no set schedule. I was just pretty sure that you can get a RSS feed for new posts on Dreamwidth.

Most of the 'free' services should be stable for the couple of years that a RPG campaign site needs to be up, but you never know. Some of the free blogging platforms have stopped being readable without lots and lots of third-party scripts enabled.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:09 AM   #8
cptbutton

Thank you to everyone for their suggestions.