Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #51
naloth

Default Re: [Supers] 21st DCU Golden Age (DC Nerfed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post
It didn't belong to her, but rather the Amazons in general. I don't think she took it with her.
Actually she invented it to cure Steve (!?!). I'm considering just ignoring it as backstory - what happened on the island stays on the island.

Quote:
And how, do they play bullets 'n bracelets without some higher tech?
It's a pretty iconic shtick for her, otherwise I'd just have to Dodge or Block with a regular shield instead. Right now I'm considering:

Perk: Can Block Bullets (why not - if you can dodge them and Shield DB helps that, why can't you block with a Perk?)

WM (Amazon Weapons: Bow, Lasso*, Shield, Shortsword, Spear)
Shield (Buckler/Bracelets)-18 which works out to a block value of 14 (assuming DB1 and CR).

*There really doesn't seem to be a benefit lasso from WM but I figured I'd include it.

As for the bracelets themselves: they can be 1" thick iron/steel bands (DR 12-20ish HP23-44) that she uses to block (effectively a buckler) and bash with (buckler shield bash).

Last edited by naloth; 08-06-2020 at 04:32 PM.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #52
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Actually she invented it to cure Steve (!?!). I'm considering just ignoring it as backstory - what happened on the island stays on the island.

It's a pretty iconic shtick for her, otherwise I'd just have to Dodge or Block with a regular shield instead. Right now I'm considering:

Perk: Can Block Bullets (why not - if you can dodge them and Shield DB helps that, why can't you block with a Perk?)

WM (Amazon Weapons: Bow, Lasso*, Shield, Shortsword, Spear)
Shield (Buckler/Bracelets)-18 which works out to a block value of 14 (assuming DB1 and CR).

*There really doesn't seem to be a benefit lasso from WM but I figured I'd include it.

As for the bracelets themselves: they can be 1" thick iron/steel bands (DR 12-20ish HP23-44) that she uses to block (effectively a buckler) and bash with (buckler shield bash).
Many years ago, a friend of mine ran a game at (the San Diego) Comic-Con that featured a battle between the Justice League and the Avengers. The player playing Thor threw his hammer at the Justice League. The player playing Wonder Woman had her block with her bracelets . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:07 PM   #53
AlexanderHowl

Parrying bullets is fairly straightforward. Danger Sense, Trained by a Master, Parry Missile Weapons, and Precognative Parry allows for the action. Wonder Woman's Bracelets of Submission would likely be an indestructible gadget with Can Be Stolen (Protected, Contest of ST), -15% and Unique, -25%, for a total of -40%. They would likely give a minimum of Enhanced Parry 3 (Parry Missile Weapons; Bracelets, -40%) [9].
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:01 PM   #54
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Wonder Woman's Bracelets of Submission would likely be an indestructible gadget with Can Be Stolen (Protected, Contest of ST), -15% and Unique, -25%, for a total of -40%. They would likely give a minimum of Enhanced Parry 3 (Parry Missile Weapons; Bracelets, -40%) [9].
That makes them a weapon, which is unusual since they function more like armor.

I don't believe they've ever been taken in combat by a ST contest. She has been disarmed while incapacitated (even then they usually don't take the bracelets). Furthermore, I don't see why they would be hard to use unless you're saying they are magically protected from unworthy hands somehow.

Unique doesn't really fit either. All Amazons originally wore these as a reminder of how the Greeks enslaving them.

I'm also probably going to ignore the original bondage implications and ability to depower Amazons men chaining them up.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:06 PM   #55
AlexanderHowl

Wonder Woman's are uniquely durable, every other copy seems to be made from normal metals. I am curious why the build would make them a weapon, especially since parrying bullets with bracelets is canonical legal (Basic, p. 212). Since the Wonder Woman's bracelets are indestructible, they can be used for Parry Missile Weapon and for Precognitive Parry.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:08 PM   #56
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post

And how, do they play bullets 'n bracelets without some higher tech?
The original "Paradise Island" was sharply different and sometimes just randomly weird compared to the more current (i.e. Post-Crisis) myth and magic based "Themiscyra".

So Paradise island was plenty high tech. besides purple rays it was where WW got her Invisible Plane. So copying .38 revolvers to become sports equipment was the least of it.

It wasn't all tech though. The lasso has always been magic and the enormous and fierce warrior kangaroos the Amazons rode were mostly blamed on aliens.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/jumpa/4005-81587/

So make up your mind if you want the rationally magical Themiscyra of the post-Crisis era ar the original Paradise Island in all its' weird glory.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:19 PM   #57
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Wonder Woman's are uniquely durable, every other copy seems to be made from normal metals.
Originally every Amazon had the similar bracelets with similar abilities. It's how they trained with them. Even currently Hippolyta, Donna, and Cassie all have similar bracelets that bounce bullets. Bullet bouncing bracelets have never been unique to Diana.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #58
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Kryptonian
ST +30 (Super -10%) [270]
HP -30 (Super -10%) [-54]
Why do it this way?

This does the same thing you appear to be trying to do:

Striking ST +30 (Super -10%) [135] (5*30*.9)
Lifting ST +30 (Super -10%) [81] (3*30*.9)

Same point total and less attribute fiddling.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:34 PM   #59
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I suppose it depends on whether you think that Krypton's gravity was higher than Earth's. That was presented as a source of his powers, or some of them, in the mid-1950s, when I started reading superhero comics. But my recollection is that the original Action Comics story had his powers be the result of advanced evolution, and told us nothing about Krypton as a planet.
Heck, Superman himself didn't know of Krypton's existence until Superman (Vol. 1) #61 (1949) and by that time the power creep had already gotten out of control with him able to fly break the time barrier and pretty much everything else that made the Silver Age Superman ridiculously overpowered.

I should mention that the actual Golden Age comics are kind of a mess. As explained in the DCwiki there are effectively two Earths involved: Earth-Two-A; Earth-Forty (and perhaps Earth-Forty-Six). Then there is the "flux Earths" of Earth-154, Earth-216, and Earth-E - not quite Golden age but not Silver Earth either.

Convergence #0 states the first appearance of "Pre-Crisis Earth-Two Metropolis" was in The Flash #123 (rather then Action Comics #16). Since the city of Metropolis itself doesn't appear in that issue (The action on Earth-Two is limited to Keystone City) that means that The Flash #123 (1961) is where Earth-Two itself first appeared. This means that where ever the majority Golden Age stories occurred it was not the Earth-Two introduced in The Flash #123.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:57 AM   #60
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Why do it this way?

This does the same thing you appear to be trying to do:

Striking ST +30 (Super -10%) [135] (5*30*.9)
Lifting ST +30 (Super -10%) [81] (3*30*.9)

Same point total and less attribute fiddling.
Partially because I use either GCA, homegrown utility, or Excel to calculate values quickly. The formulas only work properly if the ST value is on the ST line. If I put ST 10 HP 15, Lifting ST+30, Striking ST +30, nothing gets calculated correctly. Likewise, I consider ST 40 HP 15 easier to read a bunch of traits scatters across the character sheet.

As for how to note it here, I'm somewhat neutral. ST! seems clear (ST without HP) since ! been used to denote attributes minus secondary on the forums for years. Fixed ST would work, but it's described slightly differently in Supers even though it's just a Lifting + Striking ST metatrait.

Tags
supers