Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2017, 04:12 PM   #21
corwyn

Default Re: [Monster Hunter] I Need Help With Character Generation!

You currently have 4 Imbuement skills. 4 skills only on Imbuement would save you 4 points, 9 if you were willing to go down to 3 skills and build them up later.

You only have one level of Dual Weapon, giving you a skill of 11 + Accuracy. You could hold that off for later development as well, saving 2 points.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:47 PM   #22
Nautilust

I got rid of dual Weapon and off-hand training. Switched my main weapon to Rifles, and did some other things.

I also managed to convince the GM to let me start out at the experience level of the rest of the party in return for helping him with some renovations. So that gives me 14 points to work with.

I will be buying more Imbue skills with that experience. So i'm not going to limit my Imbue to 4 or 3 skills only. However maybe I could limit to Rifles and Pistols only. Anyone know how much that modifier would be?

Also I could limit Gunslinger to Rifles and Pistols only how much would that modifier be?
Nautilust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:46 PM   #23
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilust View Post
The whole Dual-Wielding idea was to put out Maximum Damage and Intimidation.
And obviously to look cool! Don't forget the looking cool part.

Quote:
I will be buying more Imbue skills with that experience. So i'm not going to limit my Imbue to 4 or 3 skills only. However maybe I could limit to Rifles and Pistols only. Anyone know how much that modifier would be?

Also I could limit Gunslinger to Rifles and Pistols only how much would that modifier be?
Accessibility (Pistols and Rifles Only, -30%), so... making Gunslinger worth 18 points.

Just to note, Pistols Only or Rifles Only is -40%.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #24
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
I got rid of dual Weapon and off-hand training.
I'd suggest keeping Off-Hand Training. It's only 1 point, and it's sometimes easier to justify having it at character creation rather than buying it later. It's still useful on its own, since it means if your main hand is ever damaged (or just busy - sometimes you don't want to drop your flashlight!), you can still shoot just fine with the off-hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilust
I will be buying more Imbue skills with that experience. So i'm not going to limit my Imbue to 4 or 3 skills only.
If you're buying 5 or more Imbue skills, and you're getting them at a level that costs 2 or more points per level, you should see about picking up a level of Imbuement Talent - for 10 points, it gives you +1 to all your Imbuement skills, so it's cost-effective. Also, since it's a Power Talent, it's a good justification for buying things like a higher level of the Imbue advantage in play, or spending spare points on new Imbuement skills without having to do stuff like roleplay training them.

Quote:
However maybe I could limit to Rifles and Pistols only. Anyone know how much that modifier would be?
I'm not aware of any canonical limitation narrowing Imbuement to only covering a limited set of weapons. Personally, I'd price it at -80% for a single weapon (e.g., "my old service pistol"), -50% for three or four specific weapons, or all weapons of a single make ("all Walter PP9s", for instance), -40% for all weapons covered by a single skill specializations ("all Guns (Pistol)"), -30% for two or three specializations within a single skill ("all weapons used with Guns (Pistol), Guns (Rifle), and Guns (Submachine Gun)"), -20% for all weapons under a single skill ("all weapons used with Guns skill"), and -10% for something as broad as "all ranged weapons" or "all melee weapons".

So your "pistols and rifles" would fall into the -30% level.

Quote:
Gun-Fu doesn't have a canonical limitation for that level. -20% is for "all weapons that use Guns skill", while -40% is for "all weapons that use Guns (Pistol) only". However, I don't see any issue with interpolating the values and pegging it at -30% for "Pistols and Rifles only".
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I wouldn't limit Gunslinger like that at all, especially when it goes with the Gun! wildcard, having it apply to rifles and not shotguns or carbines and not submachine guns seems difficult to explain.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #26
evileeyore
Banned

Just to note... if you really want to cut some costs... you could do this:

Start with:

Gunslinger (Desert Eagle* Only, -80%) [5]
Imbuement 2 (Desert Eagle* Only, -80%; Magical, -10%) [4]†

Then after earning 7 points upgrade to:

Gunslinger (Semi-Automatic Pistol Only, -60%) [10]
Imbuement 2 (Semi-Automatic Pistol , -60%; Magical, -10%) [6]

Then with 9 more points...

Gunslinger (Pistol Only, -40%) [15]
Imbuement 2 (Pistol Only, -40%; Magical, -10%) [10]

Then with 5 more points...

Gunslinger (Pistols and Rifles Only, -30%) [18]
Imbuement 2 (Pistols and Rifles Only, -30%; Magical, -10%) [12]

And then finish up at...

Gunslinger (Guns Only, -20%) [20]
Imbuement 2 (Guns Only, -20%; Magical, -10%) [14]

Or even start anywhere in that series that fits your budget and wants (I mean "Pistols and Rifles Only" frees up 10 points right there!).

* Deagle chosen as representational only. If you went SCAR-H, it would be "SCAR-H Only", then "CQB Rifle Only", then "Rifle Only", etc.

† Cost beak limited at -80% obviously, even then it hits -90%.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 PM   #27
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I wouldn't limit Gunslinger like that at all, especially when it goes with the Gun! wildcard, having it apply to rifles and not shotguns or carbines and not submachine guns seems difficult to explain.
Krommcannonicity incoming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Before panning this advantage, remember that it affects all patterns and lengths of weapons used with four large classes of firearms skills. You can "Rambo" an M60 (Bulk -7) or a flamethrower (-8), turn around and pick off targets with an accurized rifle whilst diving through the air at -4 for stupidity, and then fire the Missouri's 5" guns without dealing with Bulk -14 or so. Use an Accessibility limitation to go the Weapon Master route and get costs down:
  • Gunslinger [25]: All one- and two-handed firearms used with any specialty of Beam Weapons, Gunner, Guns, or Liquid Projector.

• Gunslinger (Accessibility, -20%) [20]: All one-handed firearms (beam pistols, handguns, self-defense sprays, and machine pistols and sawed-off shotguns used in one hand); all two-handed firearms (all varieties of long arms, from shotguns to flamethrowers to laser rifles); or everything used with just one of the four skills above (e.g., "Guns Only" or "Beam Weapons Only").

• Gunslinger (Accessibility, -40%) [15]: All one-handed firearms used with one of the four skills above (e.g., "One-Handed Guns Only" or "One-Handed Beam Weapons Only"); all two-handed firearms used with one of the four skills above (e.g., "Two-Handed Guns Only" or "Two-Handed Beam Weapons Only"); or everything used with one specialty of the four skills above (e.g., "Guns (Pistol) Only" or "Beam Weapons (Rifle) Only").

• Gunslinger (Accessibility, -60%) [10]: A subset of everything used with one specialty of the four skills above (e.g., "Revolvers Only" or "Blaster Pistols Only").

• Gunslinger (Accessibility, -80%) [5]: One specific model of weapon (e.g., "Ruger Super Redhawk Only" or "Ford 'Solo' Blaster Only").
Old 09-19-2017, 06:13 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Krommcannonicity incoming!
Note that the proposed -30% category isn't there...
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #29
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Note that the proposed -30% category isn't there...
Correct. I arrived at that via Accessibility from Power-Ups 8: Limitations. 2 categories of 9 is 22% of the time*, thus... -30%.

* Granted if SMGs, LMGs, LAWs, and Gyrocs are likely to be rare, then this shouldn't be -30%. It would be 50% of the time (or even 75% if the grenade launcher is likewise 'rareish') and thus drop to -15% (or -10%). But that's a GM call.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #30
Nautilust

Alright, so I stuck with just using the Guns only limitation on Imbue and Gunslinger. Bought all the athletic skills i needed, and did some other stuff. I need one skill point so that I can keep off-hand weapon training. I guess i'm going to start looking at quirks. Anybody got any ideas on some quirks i could take that work with my character idea? All I have are the ones in the basic set. But I believe there's a whole book dedicated to them.

Last edited by Nautilust; 09-19-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Nautilust is offline   Reply With Quote