Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
combatmedic
Banned

Default 0 point Human splinter races and variants for Space or Fantasy

EDIT: Feel free to add your own 0 point human variant race/culture/subspecies templates, guys.

I'll start off with a simple concept and build.

Half-Men or Highland Dwarfs

Concept: a race of Human--not-demi-human—dwarfs

Description: Dwarfs (human, not Tolkienian) dressed in medieval 'Western' garb. They have their own kingdom in the hills, but exiles or traders may pass into the lands of other peoples. Their main deity, an agricultural power with an aspect of human fertility, is sometimes referred to by ignorant outsiders as a ‘god of **** and wine.’ They recover from injuries faster than do most humans. Half-Men often can drink other folks under the table, because their bodies process alcohol in a more efficient manner. Offsetting their slower speed in escape and reduced strength in combat, Highland Dwarfs have developed a heightened situational awareness.

Stats:
0 points
• SM -1 0 point feature
• -1 Basic Move -5
• -1 ST -10 points
• +1 Perception 5 points
• Two levels of Hard to Kill 4 points
• Rapid Healing 5 points
• Perk: Alcohol Tolerance 1 point

These guys are based on the Nelwyns from Willow, the ‘Highland Dwarfs’ of Your Highness, and a bit of Tyrion Lannister (the god of T and W bit, taken seriously here).

They could be used as a Minor Race in Traveller, if one wanted an SF spin on the race. They are humans, not demi-humans.

EDIT: rejiggered

Last edited by combatmedic; 08-13-2013 at 08:23 PM.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: 0 point Human splinter races and variants for Space or Fantasy

Human Giants

Concept: slothful humans of great stature

Description: Big and strong but lazy, most giants live as vagabonds or bully-boys. Giants tend to grab their backs and moan about old injuries whenever there's hard work to be done, yet they don't seem to feel much pain from blows taken in brawls. They are experts at finding 'free' food and drink. Generations of looking for back-rubs and meal tickets have disposed them towards sociability. They are often encountered hanging about in taverns, trying to mooch off their friends and acquaintances.

Stats:
0 point template

• SM +1 0 point feature
• Laziness -10 points
• Bad Back -15 points
• Chummy -5 points
• High Pain Threshold 10 points
• +2 ST (-10% from SM) 18 points
• First Aid at DEX with a specialization in back injuries 1 point
• Scrounging at IQ with a specialization in victuals 1 point

Edit: rejiggered

Last edited by combatmedic; 08-14-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
combatmedic
Banned

Fire-Witches

Concept: a race of 'witches' who specialize in fire, smoke, and shadowy tricks, revere the 'mysteries of flame'

Description: flinty/steely nails, red or black hair is common, fair skin

Stats:

• Disciplines of Faith: Ritualism -5 points
  • Quirk: Vow not to ever reveal 'magical' secrets to non FWs -1 point
  • Quirk: Likes fire -1
  • Talent: Fire Witch (Explosives: Fireworks, Fortune-telling: fire gazing, sleight of hand, holdout, esoteric medicine, occultism) 5 points
  • Perk: accessory (flint and steel nails enable ignition by hand) 1 point
  • Perk: unusual background: has undergone Fire Witch nail modification (nails embedded with thin strips of flint and steel) 1 point

Their magic is really a matter of secret science and legerdemain, transmitted and presented as occult powers. The arcane mysteries of flame and smoke holds a natural attraction for Fire Witches.

EDIT: Swapped Ritualism for Minority Group, to emphasize their mysterious culture and to make them more attractive as a player race.

Last edited by combatmedic; 08-13-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Blind Mapmaker

Dwarfism is only valid as an individual, not a racial advantage. Doesn't matter if your "dwarfs" are only a human subrace. They have a society and a racial template. That makes them a race in GURPS terms. Presumably they have equipment and dwellings fit for their size. I suggest replacing the disadvantage with Distinctive Feature (Dwarf), Move -1 and possibly Social Stigma (Minority Group).

Other than that I really like the idea of fantasy humans. Ancient and medieval sources list all sorts of weird races that weren't necessarily thought of as non-human. I would just suggest going easy on Social Stigma. It's no fun if half the variant humans have to take some variant of that. If you want to go a bit easier on yourself, you could also eliminate regular humans an make all the variants the same non-zero cost. You could also give regular humans a variant template including invisible traits like Luck.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
Dwarfism is only valid as an individual, not a racial advantage. Doesn't matter if your "dwarfs" are only a human subrace. They have a society and a racial template. That makes them a race in GURPS terms. Presumably they have equipment and dwellings fit for their size. I suggest replacing the disadvantage with Distinctive Feature (Dwarf), Move -1 and possibly Social Stigma (Minority Group).

Other than that I really like the idea of fantasy humans. Ancient and medieval sources list all sorts of weird races that weren't necessarily thought of as non-human. I would just suggest going easy on Social Stigma. It's no fun if half the variant humans have to take some variant of that. If you want to go a bit easier on yourself, you could also eliminate regular humans an make all the variants the same non-zero cost. You could also give regular humans a variant template including invisible traits like Luck.
I've adjusted the Highland Dwarf template.

I may refine the other two, as well.

EDIT: I have removed all Social Stigmas and refined the templates a bit. The Giants are now Chummy. The Fire Witches' arcane rites and weird customs have been modeled using Rituals of Faith.
The rulebook uses both 'species' and 'race' in the descriptions for Dwarfism and Gigantism. Which is it? These guys are all human species, but distinct races and cultures. The ones with greater physical differences would likely be classed as subspecies by a scientist from our world. I've tried to avoid stuff that Bio-Tech calls species mods.
Does Distinctive Feature work fine for a human variant race/culture?

Last edited by combatmedic; 08-13-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
jacobmuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Does Distinctive Feature work fine for a human variant race/culture?
I don't think so... it's meant to make you stand out from your crowd.
What would be a distinctive feature on someone would, as a race, be a 0pt feature, eg cosmetic tail.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
I don't think so... it's meant to make you stand out from your crowd.
What would be a distinctive feature on someone would, as a race, be a 0pt feature, eg cosmetic tail.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. This is why I have yanked such traits from the templates. They might count as 0 point features if the whole race/culture has them.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Race doesn't really mean anything so its use in gurps can't be very rules clarifying.
Such predictable physical features would qualify for subspecies if I ever used that word without cringing. They might even qualify for species even if fully capable of interbreeding like dogs and wolves.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
The rulebook uses both 'species' and 'race' in the descriptions for Dwarfism and Gigantism. Which is it? These guys are all human species, but distinct races and cultures. The ones with greater physical differences would likely be classed as subspecies by a scientist from our world. I've tried to avoid stuff that Bio-Tech calls species mods.
The books use the two terms interchangeably (for the most part). My suggestion is to not worry about it too much and just go with what gives you the effects/results you desire for your templates.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
combatmedic
Banned

Dung-churls

Concept: Dirty, malformed peons

Description: ill-favored, deformed or scarred, covered in filth, hunched posture. Culture is deep-rooted and resistant to change, even among those living outside the homeland.

Stats:

• Appearance: Unattractive -4 points
• Quirk: A visible deformity or disfigurement of some kind(varies, may be a family trait from inbreeding) -1 point
• Quirk: rubs dirt and filth on body/clothes to keep away evil spirits -1 point
• Dull -1 point
• Reduced Consumption 1 (Cast-Iron stomach) 1 points
• Unusual Background: Dung-Churl diet (justifies Reduced Consumption) 1 point
• One level of Talent: Green Thumb 5 points

The stats above represent a runaway serf (Status 0). Reduced Wealth is common, but not mandatory. Dung-Churls living in their native country suffer reduced Wealth and low Status. Dung-Churls are marked by minor visible deformities and scars; many are ugly or twisted in some way. The template reflects one that can fit into outside society without too much trouble. Pitiable is an option.

These guys are based on the Brettonian peasants in recent Warhammer material, not on real medieval peasants. ( Ridiculous 90% taxes! ) I figure the peasants in Bretonnia must eat garbage to survive. They are probably really good at growing a lot of food, since so much is taken from them.

Tags
templates