Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-22-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Onkl

Default A WH40k Space Wolf in GURPS

Hi guys

I'm still planing for my upcoming Warhammer 40k Deathwatch campaign. The party will meet for the first time when they join the Deathwatch - once all the players have successfully completed their one-Player one-GM prologue sessions.

I've thus far created a "baseline" template (Thanks again, Perfect Organism) to represent Codex adherent Chapters such as the Ultramarines. There are still a few blanks though, but it's a start, have a look at it here.

Now, one of the players would like to be a Space Wolf. Since Space Wolves have unique properties, I would very much welcome any help to find a game mechanic to represent the Curse of the Wulfen. But I am getting ahead of myself, please read the following quote from the 40k Lexicanum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicanum
The unique properties of the Wolves' gene-seed gift their brothers with enhanced abilities beyond even those of other Space Marines, including hyper-acute senses of smell and hearing, elongated canines that can dent plasteel, and leathery, resilient skin[1a]. Unfortunately, these same properties risk turning the man who absorbs them into a feral beast, an aspect known as the Curse of the Wulfen among the Space Wolves.

The first risk of transformation comes during the final initiation rites for Aspirant Wolves, when they drink from the Cup of Wulfen and absorb the first and most deadly component of the gene-seed, the Canis Helix. The Helix causes a violent transformation to the Aspirant's body which is always painful and sometimes fatal[1b]. Those Aspirants who are not killed revert to a bestial state, hungry for raw meat and blood. During their final trial, the Test of Morkai, the Aspirant is required to make his way back to The Fang through the harsh Fenrisian wilderness, fighting the dehumanizing effects of the Helix. Those who fail to do so become entirely feral and stay in the wild, hunting future Aspirants[1b]. Those who succeed and return to the Fang are implanted with the remaining components of the gene-seed, which stabilizes the effects of the Helix.

However, even after initiation into the chapter, many Wolves are never entirely free of the Curse, and risk reverting to their bestial state in moments of great stress[1b]. Part of the duties of the Wolf Priests is to watch over their brothers in battle, and remind them of their better instincts when they are in danger of succumbing to the Curse[1c][2].

In late M41, the Wolves' arch-rivals, the Thousand Sons Chaos Space Marines, conducted a ritual using relics stolen from the chapter, including the sacred Spear of Russ and the gene-seed of several fallen Wolves. With these, the Sorcerer Madox planned to generate an interstellar field that would transform all the Wolves into Wulfen. This ritual was stopped by Ragnar Blackmane, though not before its effects caused havoc among several of the chapter's brothers[2].

Despite the general belief that Wulfen were entirely bestial and thus irredeemable, there were rare cases where Wolf brothers could be reasoned with and brought under control[2].
The first properties are pretty straight forward:
  • Acute Smell
  • Acute Hearing
  • Teeth (Sharp Teeth or Fangs)
  • Damage Resistance (Thick Skin)

What Disadvantage(s) do you suggest to represent the Curse of the Wulfen? It sounds like it is a form of Berserk, but with a limitation.

What game mechanic would you choose to check whether the Curse triggers or not? It sounds like a fright check, but this seems odd to me…. I've heard about stress points, but don't remember ever reading something about it in a GURPS book… is that a houserule? Or is it an "official" rule? Would stress points help in this instance?

Since I am not really a WH40k connoisseur, please tell me if I overlooked something important!

Any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned
Default Re: A WH40k Space Wolf in GURPS

The Curse sounds like something in the realm of Bestial and/or Stress Atavism.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #3
Onkl

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wrathchild View Post
The Curse sounds like something in the realm of Bestial and/or Stress Atavism.
Stress Atavism seems to be spot on, maybe paired with Berserk. Are there any extend rules for Stress Atavism?
Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

Not that I am aware of, but I don't think that it would be unreasonable to define those severity levels a little tighter and define some of the effects in terms of other disads, ie. the notion that "you always act on instint" is tantamount to Bestial, and some of the other phrases sounds a lot like Bad Temper, Berserk and such. It might actually help the roleplaying and adjudication of the disad to define it more.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Maz

As far as I remember only veteran space wolves have sharp teeth, with the oldest having canines so big they can't even be in the mouth (earning them the nickname Long Fangs) and possibly warranting Teeth(impaling).

From Lexicanum:
"By the time of his promotion to the Long Fangs, a Space Wolf has served and fought for centuries, and the Canis Helix - the unique component of the Wolves' geneseed - has completed its final effects, and the Wolf's elongated canines have grown to their fullest length, strong enough to dent plasteel".
Hmm it also seems like the teeth might be worthy of an Armour Divisor.

(Putting an AD on a natural attack like teeth is a bit tricky. I couldn't actually find the rules in Powers. But you build a theoretic Innate attack of the same type as the natural attack (cutting in this case) and then see how much the AD would be worth based on how much damage you can deal with your teeth. so lets say you have ST:21 (that's 2d thrust cut) equal to a 10 pts cut innate attack. a AD(2) is a +50% enhancement so that would be +5 points to get AD(2)on your teeth).

They should probably also have a level of Temperature tolerance. As, as far as I remember my old 2nd ed codex, a newly enhanced space wolf is placed out in the middle of the freezing wilderness, naked. And only if he can make it back alive (and sane) will he be accepted. He must conquer both the elements and the wulfen (although I am not sure it was called that back then).
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
borithan

Why are "Neophytes" age 50? If it has any relation to the term as used by GW a Neophyte is in the "scout" stage and, trainers aside, Scouts have progressed to being full Battle Brothers in their early 20s. Of course, if you are just using the term as a "stage", non-specific to the role they perform, that is fine, but if it actually means either during the scout stage, or just finished it, that is too old.

Also, as far as I understand it Space Marines are not actually big enough for a +1 Size Modifier. They are "only" 7 foot tall or a bit over. As far as I am aware that still just falls within the realms of normal size. It is possible they would qualify when wearing their armour, but that doesn't add much height, mostly bulk.

Oh, also, all Space Marines should qualify for some Damage Reduction (Tough Skin), at least over the Torso. They all have the enhanced rib cage, which leaves strengthened bone plates protecting most of their internal organs, and there is some evidence that the Black Carapace provides some sort of protection (again, mostly on the torso as far as I remember).

I think all Space Wolves technically have pronounced incisors, at least if I am remembering the Bloodclaws images and models correctly. However, as you say Maz, I am not sure they would qualify for the "denting plasteel" quality until older.

That also reminds me, the progression of Space Wolves is different; They don't go through the whole "Scout - Battle Brother -Veteran" thing. Their youngest warriors are the Bloodclaws, who fight in power armour and prefer close combat due to their hot headedness, and then they progress to Grey Hunters (equivalent to standard Battle Brothers, but with a bit more Close Combat Emphasis) when they have calmed down a bit. As they age and calm down (while contrastingly becoming physically more bestial) they eventually progress to the Long Fangs (the heavy support troopers who spend the rest of their time complaining how they don't make Bloodclaws like they used too etc). Wolf Scouts are not the young initiates, but veterans who prefer to operate alone.

This does cause some problems as far as the lore is concerned, as the Black Carapace, which interfaces with power armour, is the last implant. This usually is implanted in the late teens/very early 20s, and what marks a Space Marine as becoming a full Battle Brother. This is one reason why the youngest marines work as scouts: they cannot actually use power armour yet. However, the Bloodclaws, the Space Wolves' equivalent to scouts, do. Now, I don't know whether the Canis Helix speeds up the implant process, or maybe Space Wolves only join the forces after receiving the Black Carapace, yet are still "the young ones" do to their attitudes, and aspirant Space Wolves in their teens train on Fenris exclusively (there are enough horrific gribblies and environments to keep them entertained).

Bleh... Space Wolves and being super special snowflakes. Never been keen on them personally.

Last edited by borithan; 01-24-2013 at 05:32 AM.
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Onkl

First off, thanks for comments, I'll try and reply as good as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borithan View Post
Why are "Neophytes" age 50? If it has any relation to the term as used by GW a Neophyte is in the "scout" stage and, trainers aside, Scouts have progressed to being full Battle Brothers in their early 20s. Of course, if you are just using the term as a "stage", non-specific to the role they perform, that is fine, but if it actually means either during the scout stage, or just finished it, that is too old.
To explain where I am trying to go with my game, I'll have to explain a little, bear with me:

The players will meet up as a party for the first time, when they join the deathwatch. Prior to that, they will all have played through a one-on-one prologue with me as the GM. So every character has a lived through his backstory and knows about the universe he is in.

I first planned on doing four prologue session, I then myself though this to be too long, so I shortened it to three sessions. Now I intend on doing only two sessions… because I will do them individually with each player, it's still gonna take a long time.

The template progress sheet should represent the "baseline", probably an Ultramarine climbing through the ranks. So it's not quite as applicable to a Space Wolf…

As far as I know canon, there are 3 steps, before one can call himself a 'Battle Brother':

First, you're an Aspirant, meaning you have to complete some test(s) to see if you are fit enough to get all the implants needed to become a Space Marine. At this stage, usually one is between 10 and 14 years of age.

Once one has proven himself to be fit enough for the surgeries, he becomes a Neophyte, undergoing all the necessary surgeries to receives the implants that make him a superhuman. At the age of 18 the surgeries are finished and he (in a codex astartes following chapter) is put into a scout company where he learns the ropes.

Now, as Space Marines have an extended lifespan (Sources differ widly… 400-700 years), it seems natural to me, that their training to become Initiates will take a long time. Remember, the gene-seed can only be harvested after 5-10 years. So it would be unwise to send out scouts that - if they die - will not be able to produce "offspring". So at the minimum, a Scout will be 23-28 when he gets really tested for the first time. I don't think it is unreasonable to say that they train for up to 20 years in the scout company. So, they would be 40-50 and still be a neophyte.

Then, they become 'Initiates', full members of their chapters. Again, they fight themselves through the ranks… first in the support squad, then tactical, then assault (or whatever, don't remember exactly).

So, the sessions I plan would go like this:

Session 1)
Aspirant & Neophyte
Player takes charge and tries to survive and get accepted as a Neophyte. Since surgeries and hypno-therapy don't make for very interesting roleplaying, I'd skip that part and let the players take over control again at the point when they do their last mission as a scout.

Session 2)
Initiate
Now they're an initiate, have gone through the ranks and learned every weapon and have been a support, tactical, assault… marine. They go on a mission with their power armor and their chapter

Session 3)
Deathwatch
You're now a Deathwatch Space Marine and get to know the other members of your "Kill Team" - in other words, the party forms up.

Can you now accept the age scheme I picked?

Quote:
Also, as far as I understand it Space Marines are not actually big enough for a +1 Size Modifier. They are "only" 7 foot tall or a bit over. As far as I am aware that still just falls within the realms of normal size. It is possible they would qualify when wearing their armour, but that doesn't add much height, mostly bulk.

Oh, also, all Space Marines should qualify for some Damage Reduction (Tough Skin), at least over the Torso. They all have the enhanced rib cage, which leaves strengthened bone plates protecting most of their internal organs, and there is some evidence that the Black Carapace provides some sort of protection (again, mostly on the torso as far as I remember).
I mostly copied the template off of Perfect Organisms 40k thread. It all seemed pretty consistent to me. All the sources I have found tell me that a space marine is "at least" 2m tall… which would qualify for SM+1.

I didn't add specific DR just upped their Stats. They have massive amounts of ST and HT to represent that. What you say is right too, but I think the way the template is built now, takes that into account. Especially if you then have Space Marine Chapters like the Space Wolves who explicitly have "thicker, leather like skin"… so I would give the Space Wolves DR (Thick Skin). Also, you could go the "Ultra Tech route" and take the Second Heart implant from there to emulate the secondary heart a space marine receives via surgery... but just upping the stats does the very same thing and reduces the clutter on the character sheet.

Quote:
I think all Space Wolves technically have pronounced incisors, at least if I am remembering the Bloodclaws images and models correctly. However, as you say Maz, I am not sure they would qualify for the "denting plasteel" quality until older.
I think I will go the route Maz suggested… first give them sharp teeth with an Armor Divisor of (2), then upgrading them to fangs when the space wolf gets older.

Quote:
That also reminds me, the progression of Space Wolves is different; They don't go through the whole "Scout - Battle Brother -Veteran" thing. Their youngest warriors are the Bloodclaws, who fight in power armour and prefer close combat due to their hot headedness, and then they progress to Grey Hunters (equivalent to standard Battle Brothers, but with a bit more Close Combat Emphasis) when they have calmed down a bit. As they age and calm down (while contrastingly becoming physically more bestial) they eventually progress to the Long Fangs (the heavy support troopers who spend the rest of their time complaining how they don't make Bloodclaws like they used too etc). Wolf Scouts are not the young initiates, but veterans who prefer to operate alone.
Thank you for pointing that out. The Lexicanum is my main source of information. Then I also read all the comics and books I can get my hands on, I even watched the "Ultramarines" movie… :P

Quote:
This does cause some problems as far as the lore is concerned, as the Black Carapace, which interfaces with power armour, is the last implant. This usually is implanted in the late teens/very early 20s, and what marks a Space Marine as becoming a full Battle Brother. This is one reason why the youngest marines work as scouts: they cannot actually use power armour yet. However, the Bloodclaws, the Space Wolves' equivalent to scouts, do. Now, I don't know whether the Canis Helix speeds up the implant process, or maybe Space Wolves only join the forces after receiving the Black Carapace, yet are still "the young ones" do to their attitudes, and aspirant Space Wolves in their teens train on Fenris exclusively (there are enough horrific gribblies and environments to keep them entertained).

Bleh... Space Wolves and being super special snowflakes. Never been keen on them personally.
As with everything 40k… canon is so inconsistent, it's hard to really say: This is the way it is, 'nuff said.

In one illustration I found, they say that all the surgeries are done at age 18… so that means that they get the Black Carapace then. So that would mean, that they become initiates at age 18…

Which could be… then again… does it really make a difference wheter you become initiate when you are 18 or 50 when you live 600 years? I don't think so…

:P

Thanks again for all your input, it is very much appreciated.

I also wanted to show you my Disadvantage "Curse of the Wulfen" but I don't have it ready yet…

Cheers!

Onkl
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
borithan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
To explain where I am trying to go with my game, I'll have to explain a little, bear with me:

First, you're an Aspirant, meaning you have to complete some test(s) to see if you are fit enough to get all the implants needed to become a Space Marine. At this stage, usually one is between 10 and 14 years of age.
Seems about right. And the various different chapters, as you note, all have different ways of doing it. Some have formal challenges, some simply reaching the place to put yourself forward as an Aspirant is the challenge itself, while others choose people they have noticed to have exceptional abilities

Quote:
Once one has proven himself to be fit enough for the surgeries, he becomes a Neophyte, undergoing all the necessary surgeries to receives the implants that make him a superhuman. At the age of 18 the surgeries are finished and he (in a codex astartes following chapter) is put into a scout company where he learns the ropes.
Well, obviously you can do what you want with your own game, but the official explanation, as far as I have always understood it, is that Neophytes are serving during the various implantation stages, ie scouts (trainers, ie usually their sergeants, excepted) all lack some of the implants. I don't think they throw 12 year olds with no training and augmentation into the field, but somewhere along the line, maybe 15-17, when they have had some of the augmentations take hold, they join the Scout Company.

Quote:
Now, as Space Marines have an extended lifespan (Sources differ widly… 400-700 years),
Some people try to claim immortal, but the established stuff says that 400+ is unusually old for a Marine serving in a combat capacity (The Ultramarine Chaplain Cassius is noted as being extremely unusual), excepting the Blood Angels, who are known as the longest living chapter (basically because they are based on Vampires). The oldest living Marine (in the Blood Angels again) is roughly 1000, so the "normal" maximum age must be somewhere between those figures.

Quote:
it seems natural to me, that their training to become Initiates will take a long time. Remember, the gene-seed can only be harvested after 5-10 years. So it would be unwise to send out scouts that - if they die - will not be able to produce "offspring".
It may be, but the established fluff says this is exactly the process that is followed. Now, this isn't meant as a criticism of what you have written. If you are adapting the background to something you feel makes more sense then I can see the sense in the change.

Quote:
Then, they become 'Initiates', full members of their chapters. Again, they fight themselves through the ranks… first in the support squad, then tactical, then assault (or whatever, don't remember exactly).
Based on the last codex: Devastator (heavy support), Assault and then Tactical. Personally I would have thought they would have followed the standard approach of being generalist first and then specialising, but not according to Ward.

Quote:
Can you now accept the age scheme I picked?
It make sense the way you have described it, and if that is the way you want to go that is fine. I just wasn't sure whether you knew the "official" background or not. If it doesn't matter to you that is fine.

Quote:
I mostly copied the template off of Perfect Organisms 40k thread. It all seemed pretty consistent to me. All the sources I have found tell me that a space marine is "at least" 2m tall… which would qualify for SM+1.
I remember considering it myself when looking at my own write up for them, but I thought the cut-off was 9 foot? I also thought I remembered the height tables giving 7 foot as being on the larger end of "normal" heights.

Quote:
I didn't add specific DR just upped their Stats. They have massive amounts of ST and HT to represent that.
Ok. That makes sense.

Quote:
As with everything 40k… canon is so inconsistent, it's hard to really say: This is the way it is, 'nuff said.
Oh, god yes.

Quote:
In one illustration I found, they say that all the surgeries are done at age 18… so that means that they get the Black Carapace then. So that would mean, that they become initiates at age 18…
The "official" fluff is all based on the information in this link:http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Crea...e#.UQFY57rFJBk Some of the information is now dated (as it mostly comes from an article from the late 1980s), but all subsequent stuff has developed from that, and the important general info is correct. The stuff about when the implants when added has been re-published many times since, and is the current official stance on the matter.

Quote:
Which could be… then again… does it really make a difference wheter you become initiate when you are 18 or 50 when you live 600 years? I don't think so…
Not in the grand scheme of things, no.

Last edited by borithan; 01-24-2013 at 10:02 AM.
borithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
Onkl

Quote:
Well, obviously you can do what you want with your own game, but the official explanation, as far as I have always understood it, is that Neophytes are serving during the various implantation stages, ie scouts (trainers, ie usually their sergeants, excepted) all lack some of the implants. I don't think they throw 12 year olds with no training and augmentation into the field, but somewhere along the line, maybe 15-17, when they have had some of the augmentations take hold, they join the Scout Company.
From a canon point of view, as far as I know, you are correct. As soon as they get the last implant they will begin training in Power Armor, making them 18 years old.

My intention was to make the first session a split between being an Aspirant passing the tests - fast forward - last scout mission and initiation ritual - and it just seemed strange to me that an initiate would be so young, but I guess I will go the canon way.

What makes sense is that he would be 23 when he finally joined the chapter - cause then 5 years have passed for the gene-seed to grow. Also, the initiate would have proven himself for having survived as long as he did - thus worthy of being gene-seed harvested. Maybe the Codex Astartes says the gene-seed of scouts must not be harvested at all, who knows..

Also, it might be easier for the player to really grasp what his abilities are if he gets them one after another instead of all of them in one "fast-forward".

If you were a player in this game, what would you like better?

Cheers

Onkl
Old 01-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Kage2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by borithan
Space Marines come in, on average, at around 7'6". While this is not the 9' required of the Size Modifier Table it falls well within the range for Gigantism (SM+1). Since the pseudo-science of the ossmodula mentions delaying epiphyseal fusion, Gigantism and the SM+1 seems like the "best" way to go.

Further, depending on which aesthetic teat that you are supping from, even if they don't specifically acquire it from their pseudo-Gigantism, then the whole "barrel-chested" thing would also move the chap away from the norm.

Quote:
For what it's worth I personally ended up giving them a DR of 10 to represent their skeletal "toughness" (not only crazy osteogenesis, but ceramics in the diet dontchaknow), but limited to crushing attacks, tough screen, and crushing, with the Black Carapace throwing in another DR 7 (torso only, tough skin with a Mind Link to the power armour [cybernetic only], sensory, etc. that really amounts to a perk/accessory]).

Then again, unlike PerfectOrganism's excellent work I took a more "lens-based" approach, which included individually statting out each of the organs and throwing them into the "basic lens," then adding additional lenses (Chapter, tactical, specialty). It gets a bit wonky in places, perhaps not quite surprising, when thinking about the synergy of the zygotes but overall I think it worked.

Quote:
That also reminds me, the progression of Space Wolves is different; They don't go through the whole "Scout - Battle Brother -Veteran" thing. Their youngest warriors are the Bloodclaws, who fight in power armour and prefer close combat due to their hot headedness, and then they progress to Grey Hunters (equivalent to standard Battle Brothers, but with a bit more Close Combat Emphasis) when they have calmed down a bit. As they age and calm down (while contrastingly becoming physically more bestial) they eventually progress to the Long Fangs (the heavy support troopers who spend the rest of their time complaining how they don't make Bloodclaws like they used too etc).
It's not actually that different than the "standard" progression of Space Marines.
  • Aspirant (young, no implantation)
  • Initiate (implantation begins).
  • Scout (all but the Black Carapace).
  • Neophyte/whatever (Black Carapace --> at this point they're 18 years old for "safe" implantation).
  • Battle Brother (Assault --> Devastator --> Tactical).
Really the only different thing is that Grey Hunters don't really have any heavy weapons experience by the time they progress to the relevant Company and, of course, as you note the difference between "Wolf Scout" and "Scout" in Codex Chapters.

Quote:
This is one reason why the youngest marines work as scouts: they cannot actually use power armour yet.
One thing to remember is that implantation does not automatically lead to the ability to actually use the implant in question. There are periods of hypno- and chemotherapy that follow. The Black Carapace, in particular, takes time to mature from the "bioplastic films" that are inserted under the dermis and the hard, hopefully articulated (;)) bioplastic that you can cut into for the various ports etc. that help interface with their power armour.

If you want crazy when it comes to the Marines, you just have to think of the progenoids--organs that are vital to the survival of the Chapter, and which mature after 5 and 10 years, but for some reason they aren't removed after 5 or 10 years. (The only in-setting argument that seems to make sense is that along with the genetic material the progenoids also store the "hero factor!" ;))

Quote:
LOL. And that's before you get to the Rune Priests etc. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl
One minor point here is that the implantation ages are touted for safety. There are examples in the 40k materials of people being implanted after this, but it is noted as an act of desperation (Blood Ravens). Also, there's the Space Marines of the Great Crusade-era during which older individuals are initiated into Space Marines, but they're stated as being not-quite-right, or inferior (despite their actions in the novels, one might add).

Quote:
Now, as Space Marines have an extended lifespan (Sources differ widly… 400-700 years), it seems natural to me, that their training to become Initiates will take a long time.
To throw another spanner in the works, or at least to increase the age range that you cite, the earlier background materials have Space Marines living for about 200-300 years. As the materials have developed power-creep over time, based around the mantra of "big is 'ard," this has tended to increase somewhat.

Quote:
Remember, the gene-seed can only be harvested after 5-10 years. So it would be unwise to send out scouts that - if they die - will not be able to produce "offspring".
Not to be argument, since as above I agree with you, but in-setting this quite simply doesn't happen. The whole purpose of Apothecaries is to harvest the progenoids when a Marine is killed in battle (or whatever). Some people out there suggest that you get at the progenoids in the neck quite readily (so these are harvested), but getting to the progenoid organ in the chest is something that is only done when a Marine has carked it.

Quote:
So at the minimum, a Scout will be 23-28 when he gets really tested for the first time. I don't think it is unreasonable to say that they train for up to 20 years in the scout company. So, they would be 40-50 and still be a neophyte.
Another thing to remember is that Marines also undergo extensive hypno-training--basically your average sci-fi learning machine. This means that they can get the information really quickly. Of course, the setting also has this information being unlocked over time so...

... Basically you can do what you want.

Quote:
I didn't add specific DR just upped their Stats. They have massive amounts of ST and HT to represent that.
If complaint I had for PerfectOrganism's representation was that it tended to lump things together. Completely effective, of course, but the nerd-rage in me requires that I divide everything up into neat blocks. Well, sort of neat. ;)

Hence:

Quote:
Also, you could go the "Ultra Tech route" and take the Second Heart implant from there to emulate the secondary heart a space marine receives via surgery... but just upping the stats does the very same thing and reduces the clutter on the character sheet.
I generally don't include this on the character sheet as anything other than "The Nineteen Implants (252)" and then a list of the advantages that you get because of it. Keeps it nice and neat.

Your way also works, so no criticism from me!

Quote:
The Lexicanum is my main source of information.
Be warned that it is not necessarily an unimpeachable source of information. The authors of the various articles will frequently throw in some fan interpretation to muddy the waters. (Not that I have a problem with fan interpretation--quite the opposite, in fact.)

Quote:
Then I also read all the comics and books I can get my hands on, I even watched the "Ultramarines" movie… :P
*facepalms in pity*

Quote:
Depends on whether you're tracking those 200-hour increments. ;)

Quote:
I also wanted to show you my Disadvantage "Curse of the Wulfen" but I don't have it ready yet…
When you have it ready I would like to see it!

Quote:
Some people try to claim immortal...
The Horus Heresy books have not particularly helped there. Proponents of the immortal Space Marine argument have also advanced that only the "first generation" Marines were immortal. Every generation after that has had their ages cut down as the zygotes ultimately dilute.

Make of that what you will.
Kage2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space marines, space wolves, templates, wh40k