Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default New to GCA. Making Templates

Greetings, all!

So, I'm new to GCA, so some of the things I'll ask might look silly. I think it's 50% likely that there will be follow-up questions, so I'm naming the thread rather broadly.

So, I decided to try and throw together a race in GCA (for VUAFS). I decided to make the template from a character sheet, according to Armin's advice. So, I added some Dis/Advantages, and then I needed to add attribute bonuses and penalties with certain accessibilities. (The races in nocturnal, and, similarly to Orcs in GURPS Fantasy, suffer certain troubles in daytime only.) I can't seem to find attribute bonuses/penalties at all. In GCB you could usually take an Advantage that modified IQ/ST/etc. and add it to a template, but there doesn't seem to be one in GCA.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: New to GCA. Making Templates

When you Save As... Template Within Data File, GCA will convert the attribute adjustments that the character has into advantages on the template.

So, if your only change to the character is adjusting ST to 12, then save to a template, the template will get a creates() section that looks kind of like this:

Code:
creates(_
{AD:ST Bonus from Racial Template, 20, gives(+2.0 to ST:ST)}_
       )
where Racial Template will be replaced by the name of the template. That'll provide the bonus to any character to which the template is later applied.

Now, to answer your actual question:

For situations like what you're talking about, you'll want to check out the "Attributes" category in the category drop-down lists for Advantages and Disadvantages, to see the Extra and Reduced attribute items. (And be sure to read the descriptions for them.)

Armin
Old 12-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Looks weird. It seems to have assigned the reduced cost (8/level for ST), but deleted the Accessibility.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Looks weird. It seems to have assigned the reduced cost (8/level for ST), but deleted the Accessibility.
I'm afraid I can't comment on this, because I don't understand what you may have done, and what you're actually looking at. What did you do to reduce the cost, and to what did you apply the accessibility?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I'm afraid I can't comment on this, because I don't understand what you may have done, and what you're actually looking at. What did you do to reduce the cost, and to what did you apply the accessibility?
I opened the attributes tab, added Accessibility (Day Only) -20% to ST, reduced ST by 2, saved the template.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Hmm. Not sure that's ever come up before. The routine to create the attribute adjustment off of the existing attributes is apparently a bit more limited than I'd recalled. It's using the adjusted trait costs, but not keeping any indication of the modifiers used to get the value. So, that looks like a bug, but one that only leaves off the "explanation" of the values, not the effective final score from them. Since GCA converts the attribute changes to ads/disads anyway, I suppose most folks just use Extra/Reduced Attribute instead. Or maybe didn't care that the original component modifiers were lost.

Here's something, just for fun, if you have GCA available while you play: After you've applied the template to your intended subject character, click into the character's Templates list and right-click, then select Show > Show Components. While playing, when it's not daytime, you can select the various Day Only components [1] of the template, and right-click them to select Disable > Bonuses Granted. That'll turn off those bonuses, allowing for full ST (or whatever). You can them turn them back on again using Enable > Bonuses Granted. [2]

[1] Due to the bug you noticed, you'd need to use the Extra/Reduced Attribute ads/disads instead of modifying the attributes directly, so that the modifiers will still be listed.
[2] These right-click options not available on the sheet in Quick View.

Anyway, sorry for the bug.

Armin

Last edited by Armin; 12-11-2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Locks On or Off doesn't matter.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

No need to apologise, I know firsthand what bughunts are like.

I think I'll get back to this whole thing at some later point.

Tags
templates