Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: 0 point Human splinter races and variants for Space or Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
The rulebook uses both 'species' and 'race' in the descriptions for Dwarfism and Gigantism. Which is it?
"Race" in an RPG rules context free of a specific world background, almost always refers to what a biologist would call "species", or "subspecies" at best. Especially in GURPS, which tends to switch to the word "race" when in a fantasy setting where biology may not strictly apply.

("Race" as used in English is more a fuzzy mashup of "nation", "family", "clan", "cultural-linguistic group", yadda yadda)

Last edited by Bruno; 08-13-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
Otaku

Stupid question:

Is this thread just for combatmedic to get feedback on his ideas, or are we supposed to list some of our own options? I am guessing the former, given the lack of more detailed guidelines but I just thought I'd ask.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Stupid question:

Is this thread just for combatmedic to get feedback on his ideas, or are we supposed to list some of our own options? I am guessing the former, given the lack of more detailed guidelines but I just thought I'd ask.
That's a good question.

Feel free to throw down your own options. :)

I only ask that you keep 'em human and 0 point. That will keep the thread on topic.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
Flyndaran
Untagged

Should all be as "mundane"? They seem to be a kind of "false fantasy" like armchair cryptozoologists' creating grains of truth for ancient myths to exaggerate.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #15
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Should all be as "mundane"? They seem to be a kind of "false fantasy" like armchair cryptozoologists' creating grains of truth for ancient myths to exaggerate.

I'm avoiding super powers/overt magic and traits that would require species mod under Biotech guidelines. I might play around with that in some cases, but the focus is on 'races of Men' rather than fantastic non-humans or magical folk.

All that said, if you have an idea that requires exotic or fantastic traits, go for it.The point cost and basic 'humanity' are the only important parts.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
combatmedic
Banned

Amazons or She-Thugs

Concept: tuff grrls!

Description: as tall and strong as men, ill-tempered, aggressive, lustful towards men of all human races, quick reflexes, looks: feral/80s punk style

Stats:
• Lecherous (SC 15) -7 points
• Bad Temper (SC 15) -5 points
• + .5 Basic Speed 10 points
• Fearlessness 2 points
• Light Menses 0 point feature

This race is closer to pop culture Amazons than the Greek mythological originals. I’ve taken inspiration from the old Warhammer take on Amazons, mainly for visual stuff. I haven’t added in the ancient starships or alien origins. I figure any daughters have inherited their traits, thus propagating the race.
I'm not sure about their homeland, It could be snake-infested jungle and ancient ruined cities, a la WF. But it might just as easily be a settled region in a temperate zone. I'll leave that undetermined for now.

ALTERNATIVE BUILD-

Stats:
• Lecherous (SC 15) -7 points
• Bad Temper (SC 15) -5 points
• Hard to Subdue 2 points
• ST+1 10 points
• Light Menses 0 point feature

This would be for a larger, tougher version of the race.

Last edited by combatmedic; 08-15-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:53 AM   #17
combatmedic
Banned

Onager friends (just a working title, not the correct name)

Concept: onager riders
Description: Small, wiry hirsute men with overdeveloped arms and big hands. They train for upper body strength from a young age. These folk are fond of rowdy parties and feats of strength.

Template 0 points
• SM -1 0 points
• Arm ST +1 5 points
• Perk: good with onagers 1 point
• Perk: special exercises (arms) 1 point
• Quirk Likes feats of strength -1 points
• Quirk Likes rowdy parties -1 points
• Code of Honor: Pirates -5 points

Common skills include Carousing, Riding, various combat skills, Athletics, etc. If they have 20 or more points in combat skills, they may purchase Perk: Huge Weapons (SM 0).

I reworked these guys from a 'Centaur' build I did a while back. They came out as a distinct race, not 'centaurs.'

At first I thought about using these guys for Brett's Bronze Age thread, but I don't want to crowd that one with my entries. It's already got a lot of stuff from me.

Last edited by combatmedic; 08-14-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:26 AM   #18
combatmedic
Banned

Masked Men

Concept: mask-wearing, rather ruthless, weirdoes

Description, What it says on the tin. Their culture observes strange sumptuary laws, which include wearing a mask in any social situation or when going out.

• Quirk: wears baroque animal/monster mask -1 point
• Quirk: Avoid exposed and sunny locations -1 point
• Perk, Controllable Disadvantage: Callous 1 point
• Night Vision 1 point
The use of mind-altering drugs is common and accepted. Many of these people develop the Addiction disadvantage, but it’s not mandatory. The disadvantage Intolerance is not uncommon.

These guys are based on the men of Granbretan from the Hawkmoon stories and, to a lesser extent, on th Cynidiceans of the D&D module, The Lost City. I’ve kept the crazy level and the evil meter set low, to make them work as PCs.

Tags
templates