Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-05-2009, 05:16 AM   #1
Luke Bunyip

Default Do I actually need [POWERS]?

I have been musing on working out mechanics for expending Fatigue for a short term advantage, say sprinting fast, or being able to dig through rock. This morn it occured to me that this could be one of the ways that Powers operate in GURPS. Is this so?
Old 06-05-2009, 05:28 AM   #2
LoneWolf23k

Default Re: Do I actually need [POWERS]?

Eeeeehh... No, you don't need it, in that it's not vital to the game. But it is very good, and very useful to have. It will show you ways to use existing advantages in ways you'd never have considered before, and has a lot of options for making power use more interesting.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:29 AM   #3
giganerds

Not sure if I undestand what you want.

If you wanna a advantage to sprint faster, buy enhaced move. To dig throught rock you can buy tunnel.

What did you mean with POWERS? The book? All advantages above are in the Basic Set, Powers enhance the way you can set special abilities in your game with more traits, enhacements, limitations and game options.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

In response to your original question, well, you don't need Powers for that - it's just a matter of tacking the Costs Fatigue limitation onto the advantages you want to, well, cost fatigue.

However, on your more general question, my opinion would be "Yes, yes you do". At least, if you're planning on building supernatural abilities for your campaign. Between Chapters 2 (Building Abilities) and 4 (Powers In Action), you'll have 95% of the tools you will need to model such abilities in your game. Frankly, I'd be happy to pay Powers' cover price for those two chapters alone. The fact that there are four other chapters, all extremely useful, is just gravy. Powers, as far as I'm concerned, is Basic Set Volume 3.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
rcarter

i think that you'd be better off mugging a very old or very young person for a copy of the book instead of buying it yourself. IMHO
Old 06-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
I have been musing on working out mechanics for expending Fatigue for a short term advantage, say sprinting fast, or being able to dig through rock. This morn it occured to me that this could be one of the ways that Powers operate in GURPS. Is this so?
1) No. I'm reasonably sure all you need to do those sorts of things is in Basic. You'll need to assemble the parts (frex, extra Speed with Costs Fatigue or extra ST with Costs Fatigue and some heavy limitation indicating that it's for digging only) and possibly decide for yourself how much what the relevant limitations/enhancements are worth, but you don't really need Powers for that.

2) Dear gods, no. You most definitely do not need Powers. Powers is a good book if you really want to massively fine-tune a huge range of advantages and disads for your campaigns, but it is not I repeat not necessary, any more than the equally detailed Vehicles was necessary for 3rd edition games.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
whswhs

I'd think you could do a lot of this just with the Extra Effort rules in the Campaigns books. Have you examined them closely to see if they address what you want?

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
Jürgen Hubert

GURPS Powers is entirely optional, and not at all needed.

That being said, it's so utterly awesome that upon reading it you will realize that it fills a hole in your gaming which you never realized that it was there before.

It's that good.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
Nymdok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
...That being said, it's so utterly awesome that upon reading it you will realize that it fills a hole in your gaming which you never realized that it was there before...

Ditto. Powers does for Advantages what Martial Arts Does for combat.

Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #10
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Get Powers if you're interested in Advantages. If you're interested in skill-based mechanics you'll probably be more interested in products like Martial Arts, Magic, or Thaumatology. Sprinting fast sounds like garden-variety Extra Effort from the Basic Set--I'm not sure about digging through rock. You mean with your bare hands? Do you want it to be an esoteric skill like Power Blow that anybody could learn, or do you want it to be something that only some people can do? If the latter you probably do want Powers.

-Max
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers