Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2007, 07:33 PM   #21
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: A Different Way of Creating Naruto (And Ninja) Jutsus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroPenguin
Also, Neji shows off a new technique of his own in the post-timeskip series that may actually hint that Hinata's technique might not be so far out there after all. Only time will tell. I hope it'll tell soon, I love Team 10.
Hmm. I don't remember this one - do you happen to remember which chapter of the manga it showed up in? I'm always pleased to see more Laser-Hands. :-)
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #22
Justice

The laser hands haven't shown up yet, but I've only heard that Kishimoto will be borrowing elements of the fillers. That jutsu in particular stands out as one that would be eminently useful in showing that Hinata has changed. I'm guessing you mean Neji's 'Vacuum Palm' mid-range attack.

And the funniest thing about Tsunade as a role model: The first person to mention her (And this was long before her first appearance) as their role model was actually... Ten Ten, and it doesn't seem as though she's learned any medical jutsu over timeskip.
Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:39 PM   #23
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice
And the funniest thing about Tsunade as a role model: The first person to mention her (And this was long before her first appearance) as their role model was actually... Ten Ten, and it doesn't seem as though she's learned any medical jutsu over timeskip.
Huh. I had totally forgotten about that. And you're right, she still seems to be her usual combat-capable self. Go, Tenten!
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:48 PM   #24
HeroPenguin

Go Tenten indeed, and Justice hit it right on the head, I was talking about Eight Trigams: Empty Palm, a chakra projecting palm thrust that functions as a mid range attack. That confirms that Jyuuken has the capacity in canon to project long distances, and since we already know that it can cut, Hinata's laser hands isn't out of scope for the manga to show.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #25
kdtipa

One of my players pointed this thred out to me. I'm in the middle of creating my version of the Naruto universe for us to start a campaign with. And like the author of this thread, I feel/felt like the Naruto jutsus seem more like skills than advantages, and for many of the same reasons. I looked over Powers pretty carefully, but it just doesn't seem to fit my notion of the jutsus. The skill system models it far better in my opinion. And I'll admit right off it's just an opinion. Everyone probably has their favorite way to handle it.

As of this post, I'm 19 pages (single spaced with half inch margins) into my jutsus document. So I can attest to the difficulty of using the skill system to model the jutsus. Buying advantages that cover a few jutsus... and then using the talents... it just seems like not enough detail, and not enough felxibility.

I read in an earlier post about how wall walking and water walking are a seemingly good example of a prerequisite situation... and that's just how I handled it. Water Walking requires a skill of 12 or more in wall walking before you can learn it. Lots of the jutsus in my mind made a good string. The best one in my rendition is the Mystic Palm (the healing technique). In my game I'm using a "health condition" system instead of the normal HT rules. Each level of injury requires another level of skill... so you can end up with situations like "he's hurt too badly for me to help him" So in that case, I split what might seem like one jutsu into several. This also had the benefit of making the study of the medical techniques harder... so it doesn't become the skill that everyone just takes because it's handy.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I think I prefer the skill method of modeling Naruto jutsus because it makes more sense to me and allows for some "accurate" modeling. The big downfall as I see it is only in how much work it takes for the GM. But I'll gladly do that work. I'm compulsive that way.

If anyway wants to see what I've done so far with the doc, send a PM to me with your email address, and I'll send it to you. I'll try to log in more frequently to make sure I don't miss any of those messages.

LOL... I also just noticed the last post was in February of 2007... so I guess I might be a bit behind the times. But who knows. Maybe someone will find this interesting.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
naruto, powers