Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-10-2009, 12:54 AM   #31
cmdicely

Default Re: Do I actually need [POWERS]?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
Ah. Mine is slightly different:

GURPS Basic Set 1: Characters
GURPS Basic Set 2: Campaigns
GURPS Basic Set 3: Fightin' (Martial Arts)
GURPS Basic Set 4 (optional): Magic (Thaumatology)

-Max
Mine is somewhere in between.

GURPS Basic Set 3: Martial Arts
GURPS Basic Set 4: Powers

(I'm starting to lean toward seeing Mass Combat as Basic Set 5.)

I don't see any of the Magic themed books (Magic, Thaumatology, Magical Styles) as being nearly as core as any of the above, in the sense that the above are books I'd use regardless of genre, setting, or tech level.
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #32
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdicely View Post
Mine is somewhere in between.

GURPS Basic Set 3: Martial Arts
GURPS Basic Set 4: Powers

(I'm starting to lean toward seeing Mass Combat as Basic Set 5.)

I don't see any of the Magic themed books (Magic, Thaumatology, Magical Styles) as being nearly as core as any of the above, in the sense that the above are books I'd use regardless of genre, setting, or tech level.
Powers is definitely genre dependent. If you are running a game with no supernatural powers...then powers is useless.
Martial Arts I really, really like. But I have been in a game with almost no combat it in. And I could easily imagine a game where only the basic combat rules are used...a sort of breezy Lite game...the Martial Arts is useless.

Honestly, I think there are only two basic set books...all the others...all of them are going to be more or less useful depending on the genre, setting, tech level, and style.
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #33
Kaldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Yes I did, but I was after a second opinion etc from the collective wisdom regarding Powers. I would prefer to not purchase Powers, as my player group are not superhero inclined.
I think for what you're after Powers might be a bit much. You can construct almost everything in it from the basic set. The thing that you might miss is the enhancements and limitations that aren't listed elsewhere...

From what I'm seeing in your posts you can certainly construct off/on abilities from Characters. Some might require a bit of GM-ruling though.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #34
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

You need all the books. Even if you don't use them. Heck, I've bought books that I gave away. I gave my copy of Magic to RPK and I only know him from the boards (I also gave him a Heavy Gear book because I had a spare laying around).

We need to buy as many books as possible to help keep SJGames in the black. I don't play Munchkin so I have to buy all the GURPS books I can!

Seriously, though, Powers is a great book. If you're not going to have any supernatural powers, ever, you don't need it. If you're only going to use the generic magic system, ever, you won't need it. But, if you want a change, or dislike the inherent magic system, then you'll want the book. At the very least it explains a lot of issues people have as well as expands on rules from the Basic Set. It also includes Creates, Controls, Illusions and Leech.

Your Mileage May Vary, but I highly recommend it.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #35
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Seriously, though, Powers is a great book. If you're not going to have any supernatural powers, ever, you don't need it. If you're only going to use the generic magic system, ever, you won't need it. But, if you want a change, or dislike the inherent magic system, then you'll want the book.
Or else you'll want Thaumatology[1]. Depends upon what you like best about GURPS, skills or Advantages.

-Max

[1] To be fair, Thaumatology does refer to Powers in at least one place, when discussing Creation in Syntactic Magic.
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #36
cmdicely

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Powers is definitely genre dependent. If you are running a game with no supernatural powers...then powers is useless.
I disagree. Powers has useful expansions and additions to standard advantages, enhancements, and limitations that are useful for modeling things that are not supernatural powers.

Quote:
Martial Arts I really, really like. But I have been in a game with almost no combat it in. And I could easily imagine a game where only the basic combat rules are used...a sort of breezy Lite game...the Martial Arts is useless.

Honestly, I think there are only two basic set books...all the others...all of them are going to be more or less useful depending on the genre, setting, tech level, and style.
Its all, of course, subjective, but the 5 books I mention are the ones I see as being useful to me irrespective of genre, setting, or tech level. (I didn't include play style intentionally.)
cmdicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 02:06 PM   #37
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin View Post
From what I'm seeing in your posts you can certainly construct off/on abilities from Characters. Some might require a bit of GM-ruling though.
I am the GM for this game.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #38
Kaldrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
I am the GM for this game.
That doesn't change that you can do it with the Characters book...
Old 06-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #39
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin View Post
That doesn't change that you can do it with the Characters book...
Unless you want to create or control something, or play with illusions.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #40
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Powers is genre dependent… it’s just that it’s useful for so many of ‘em ;) Martial Arts ought to find utility in just about any game where you’re going to have combat (though it is mostly concerned with low-tech).
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers