Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #31
Glamourweaver

Default Re: Greater Deities

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogo
I'd guess that describing Brahma as greater was based on a common Western misperception of Hinduism (that Brahma is an important deity) rather than a desire to make a deity that was suprisingly more powerful than worship would indicate, but even if it was an attempt at a mystery, IMC Brahma isn't going to be a Greater Deity.

It may be relevant that the distinction between an 18 Force god and a Greater Deity (and the difference between an 18 Force Word Bound and a Superior) is somewhat diminished IMC relative to canon.
He is an IMPORTANT deity, he's just not as directly worshiped as the other 2 faces of the Trimurti.
Glamourweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:53 PM   #32
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamourweaver
He is an IMPORTANT deity, he's just not as directly worshiped as the other 2 faces of the Trimurti.
Not in Hinduism as it actually exists in the real world. In fact in actual Indian myths when he appears he is often depicted as a bufoon. The Trimurti has little to nothing to do with real Hinduism. The Trimurti is far more important to Western scholars than to nearly anyone in India.

Last edited by zogo; 03-22-2006 at 06:58 PM.
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:30 PM   #33
dataweaver

Your campaign; do as you see fit.

I only raised the issue because I had the impression that you were making a list of candidates for canon Greater Gods; if that was your intent, then Brahma definitely belongs on the list; no if's, and's, or but's. If your intent was to compose a list of Greater Gods for your campaign, that's a different story.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:17 AM   #34
zogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver
If your intent was to compose a list of Greater Gods for your campaign, that's a different story.
That was my intention.

Although as I said I think that Brahma's inclusion as powerful as a weak Superior in the GMG is based on a misperception of Hinduism, It is a pretty minor issue. Furthermore I'm aware that this is not the forum (heh) for getting canon changed.
zogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 12:23 AM   #35
MetaRob

Wait, here's some more gods to consider: http://www.godchecker.com/
Old 04-18-2006, 08:03 AM   #36
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwing
Back in the old days when hunting was more common I'd agree with you. Unless Artemis has managed to strech into the more metaphysical hunting aspects I don't think she's doing so well these days.
Ah, goddess of the moon and chastity, among other things? Hardly any of the Greeks had only one function. And the moon has not fallen from heaven.

Artemis was still a significant figure in the Renaissance; poets compared Elizabeth I, in her capacity as the Virgin Queen, to her.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:09 AM   #37
whswhs

Quote:
Brahm may not be as directly worshipped as Vishnu & Shiva, but he equally dominates Hindu Theology & cosmology. He's invoked in many many prayers that are to the other aspects of the Tirmurti.
Trimurti seems to be more part of the theologians' Hinduism than of the priests' and worshippers' Hinduism, though. From what I've read, in practice Hindus are either Vaishnavite or Shaivite, with a minority who focus on one or another aspect of Shakti instead. I would think that receiving actual devotion was more important to divine power.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:16 AM   #38
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer
...yes, the internet (including, but not limited to the web) is /very/ much within her scope. I suspect she's cut an under-the-table deal with Jean.
Athena might write the code, but Hephaistos builds the hardware. And the robots and automated tools; look at the mythic depictions of his workshop.

What's the status of the Roman gods vis-a-vis the Greek gods? Are they one and the same, or are they independent sets of entities? Because Neptune still has a fair amount of power under that name. See any account of a "crossing the line" ceremony for ritual honors paid to him in modern times.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:24 AM   #39
whswhs

Quote:
For those who lack the EPG: Greater Deities are those Ethereals who are vaster in nature than the system is able to represent in mechanics (i.e. approaching the power level of Superiors). They are able to create & grant their own Attunements (like Servitor Attunemetns). The EPG gives one example: Odin. I'm pondering who else would fall in this category (so that I can create Attunement options for Ethereal Deity PCs).
What about the loa of voodoo? There are certainly some of them that are actively worshiped by huge numbers of people, far more than the entire Greek/Roman, Norse, and Celtic pantheons put together. Legba, Erzulie, and the various death-associated entities all have very distinct images, too.

The interesting thing about them is that they were partially made out of beings worshipped in Catholicism. So they're sort of celestials converted into ethereals. Conceivably voodoo might legitimately be treated as another ethereal religion with some celestial powers.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #40
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs
What's the status of the Roman gods vis-a-vis the Greek gods? Are they one and the same, or are they independent sets of entities?
According to the Ethereal Players Guide, the Roman deities challenged the Greek ones to assumption combat, 'round the time the Romans conquered the Greeks. The Greek deities won. :-) Thus, all worship directed at the Roman deities ends up powering the Greek ones.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ethereals