Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-18-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
Hide

Default Star Wars: Designing “One with the Force” ability

Many of you should be familiar with the concept of “becoming one with the force”. I have been trying to create an ability to do so. But maybe someone knows how to design it.

You could say it is similar to death for Jedi Masters (akin to the covenant of rest perk); but if I want to bend the force in other ways. What would you do?

I think I could start with jumper.

I would like a character to become one with the force, and then revert it.
Also, I would like to make others become one with the force using an attack or malediction (with the option of reverting it).

How would you do it?

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Can you tell us what you think "becoming one with the Force" means?
Sure:
  • You turn into an entity pertaining to another realm/plane (the force)
  • You cannot exert any influence on the “real world”
  • You cannot manifest yourself to others unless you and the others are force-sensitive

Thanks!

Last edited by Hide; 01-18-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Star Wars: Designing “One with the Force” ability

Have you looked at Malinks Psi Wars section on his blog?
Star Wars inspired I dont recall it having what you describe here but it should be a good source of inspiration.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Have you looked at Malinks Psi Wars section on his blog? Star Wars inspired I dont recall it having what you describe here but it should be a good source of inspiration.
Thanks man!

You mean Mailanka's Musings? I have been checking it but I have not found anything akin to my idea.
It talks about returning as a “force ghost”, “Communion” and “space ghosts”, etc. It does not talk about becoming one with the force or a force ghost (without dying on the first place, it seems).
Old 01-18-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Thanks man!

You mean Mailanka's Musings? I have been checking it but I have not found anything akin to my idea.
It talks about returning as a “force ghost”, “Communion” and “space ghosts”, etc. It does not talk about becoming one with the force or a force ghost (without dying on the first place, it seems).
Sure, I did not think it had anything directly applicable but its good source material.
Ok, so an answer depends on what it means to become "One with the Force".
Is it like Obi Wan when he died and became a force ghost?
That would be Spirit metatrait but using Substantial Communication from GURPS Psionic powers changing to Insubstantiality (Affects Substantial, +40%; Usually On, -40%) [80] saving 48 points for a total of 213 points.

Than I would have an Initiation power representing leveled traits matching my concept of what being one with the force would do.
I have some ideas, but cant go into them now.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-18-2019, 07:36 PM   #5
Anaraxes

Can you tell us what you think "becoming one with the Force" means?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:10 PM   #6
Hide

Mhh... so maybe, considering my new knowledge... could it be "Jumper, with projection"? Do you die if someone destroys your body? (i.e. soul ceases to exist)
Old 01-18-2019, 11:19 PM   #7
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Mhh... so maybe, considering my new knowledge... could it be "Jumper, with projection"? Do you die if someone destroys your body? (i.e. soul ceases to exist)
You do die if your body is killed with the Projection limitation.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 01-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #8
Culture20

Add traits necessary for spirit form, etc. with crazy high Warp, unkillable 3, switchable Invisibility (always invisible to non-force-sensitives), switchable Obscure level eleventy hundred (sound, personal only, always silent to non-force-sensitives) If you include The Last Jedi, you can add high levels of innate attack burning with overhead, surge, armor piercing, and other lightning type stuff.
Change of appearance? (Anakin Skywalker after Vader dies; either Anakin actor).
Make that a metatrait.
To be able to switch into the metatrait at will, use alternate form with this metatrait applied to the new form. To affect others, use Affliction to apply the metatrait.
To be able to switch into the trait triggered on death, use alternate form with a death trigger (which turns on the unkillable), but apply an always on limitation to the alternate form representing that you’re now stuck as a force ghost. If there’s a way to come back, like a cloned Palpatine body, then apply a mitigator (cloned physical body) to the always on limitation as if it were a disadvantage seperate from the alternate form advantage?

Jumper is more useful for traveling to another place or time in some timeline. “the Force” isn’t a destination, so jumper doesn’t really work. If there were a trait for switchable non-locality or omnipresence, I would suggest that instead of Warp, but Warp seems the best option for the force ghost metatrait.

Last edited by Culture20; 01-19-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:23 AM   #9
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
If you include
Spoiler:  
you can add high levels of innate attack burning with overhead, surge, armor piercing, and other lightning type stuff.
I think I need to rewatch that, I don't remember
Spoiler:  
actually destroying stuff, just getting hit and not being harmed.

Quote:
Change of appearance? (Anakin Skywalker after Vader dies; either Anakin actor).
Fantasy 131 has "only while insubstantial" on Shapeshifting. It'd feel wrong to take that for an Always-On insubstantiality though... even though there's a theoretical situation where someone can negate your ability to change shape by using Negated Advantage: Insubstantiality on you, it sounds like a rare situation.

If you're talking about someone who can revert back to material form though it should be fine.

Quote:
To affect others, use Affliction to apply the metatrait.
Hide's mention of Projection got me thinking of something nasty.

Clairsentience can be reduced from 50 to 10 points while taking Clairosmia -60% Visible -10% ESP -10%, so it would only cost +100% enhancement to Afflict it on someone. Projection +0% leaves your body unconscious instead of insensible, whatever that means.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #10
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I think I need to rewatch that, I don't remember
Spoiler:  
actually destroying stuff, just getting hit and not being harmed.
Spoiler:  

Quote:
Fantasy 131 has "only while insubstantial" on Shapeshifting. It'd feel wrong to take that for an Always-On insubstantiality though... even though there's a theoretical situation where someone can negate your ability to change shape by using Negated Advantage: Insubstantiality on you, it sounds like a rare situation.

If you're talking about someone who can revert back to material form though it should be fine.
It would probably be best to just say that the alternate form has a unique appearance based on the person’s self perception (usually the same as at becoming one with the force). That way, you skip the shapeshifting altogether.

Quote:
Hide's mention of Projection got me thinking of something nasty.

Clairsentience can be reduced from 50 to 10 points while taking Clairosmia -60% Visible -10% ESP -10%, so it would only cost +100% enhancement to Afflict it on someone. Projection +0% leaves your body unconscious instead of insensible, whatever that means.
Ripping someone’s force ghost out of their body while it still lives, a la the Ancient One from Doctor Strange? Neat trick for a powerful Jedi to disable a foe. Insensible, unless it has a specific gurps definition, means your body can still move, but just can’t sense anything, so knitting, touching your nose, or other tasks you could do blindfolded, deafened, etc would be possible. Unconscious is the usual meaning.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote