Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
malloyd

Default [MA] Holding A Foe At Bay?

Either I'm reading this rule (MA 106) wrong, or it has a logic problem.

As I'm interpreting it, imagine in the example that Rufus rolls a 6, for 11 points of damage, but Tiberius is wearing a DR10 Breastplate of Protection(TM). One point gets through, doubled to 2 for impaling. A slight wound, but the spear is still in the way. Tiberius gathers his courage, makes his will roll, runs the spear entirely through his body and. . . suffers no additional damage whatsoever.

Anybody have a different reading?

I think this is trying to be a blow through rule without actually reintroducing that, but my first instinct would be to ignore the damage already inflicted and have you suffer a fixed additional damage - say 3d if you do this in combat, the minimum of that (3 points) if you push the weapon through in a controlled circumstance (like when removing a barbed arrow). Alternately I suppose I could calculate Rufus' maximum damage *ignoring DR*, but that assumes that Rufus's best blow could've driven the weapon through an unarmored body, which might be iffy if Rufus had a lower ST.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: [MA] Holding A Foe At Bay?

The rule is mostly meant to be game-balanced. We didn't feel that it would be wise to set up a situation where a very strong fighter could only approach a much weaker one by taking a degree of injury that his foe couldn't deal. That much force would probably just disarm the guy holding the spear. So we compromised and neither disarmed the weaker fighter nor killed the stronger one. If you need a visualization aid, assume that slight injuries with near-maximum damage represent the weapon stopping in or on the armor, giving a bruise. Then the target fighter rolls to risk the possibility of a wound (he has no idea), and if he moves in, the weapon scrapes off to one side instead of coming out the back, which is just as likely to let him move in. I know, it isn't pefect . . .
Old 11-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Sadurian Mike

Default Re: [MA] Holding A Foe At Bay?

Most people with a spear to the chest will just twist to one side to get past. Sure, you take a bit of damage, but you get past to punish the spear-carrier. The vast majority of low-tech weapon injuries are going to be glancing blows and blows that are rolled with, I always consider the crits to represent those rare occasions when a blow lands full-on and unopposed.
Closed Thread