Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
Maz

Default Terror (active) any modifiers to Quick contest?

Does Terror (Active) use the normal modifiers to fright checks?

The power simply states:
Roll a Quick Contest of Will with your
subject. He’s at -1 for each -1 to Fright
Checks you bought.

There is no other mention of modifiers.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Terror (active) any modifiers to Quick contest?

Fearlessness applies, as it specifically states that it applies against supernatural powers. Unfazeable would also make somebody immune.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

In general I apply the normal Fright Check modifiers to to Terror, since it usually makes sense to do so, and note that this is mechanically usually balanced since arranging things to inflict more penalties isn't hard, but avoiding the Heat of Battle bonus often is.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
In general I apply the normal Fright Check modifiers to to Terror, since it usually makes sense to do so, and note that this is mechanically usually balanced since arranging things to inflict more penalties isn't hard, but avoiding the Heat of Battle bonus often is.
I'm curious, what penalties can you inflict?
I initially thought you would apply normal modifiers to the Will roll. But then I realized it would very often be worthless in combat as everyone gets a +5 bonus, someone with Combat Reflexes get +2 on top of that. No to mention Fearless is a cheap and common advantage. And then I started considering, that maybe it was written without modifiers - deliberately.

So what can I as an attacker do, to increase their penalties, once in combat?
Old 11-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
I initially thought you would apply normal modifiers to the Will roll. But then I realized it would very often be worthless in combat as everyone gets a +5 bonus, someone with Combat Reflexes get +2 on top of that. No to mention Fearless is a cheap and common advantage. And then I started considering, that maybe it was written without modifiers - deliberately.

In Psionic powers there is a power that causes terror. Instead of a straight fright check it's a quick contest of the attacker's skill vs defender's will.
IDHMBWM so I can't give page #s or exact quotes, but check it out.
Tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:

Darkness, bodies, dead loved ones, killing someone, high RoF weapons, explosions...
Old 11-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #7
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
In Psionic powers there is a power that causes terror. Instead of a straight fright check it's a quick contest of the attacker's skill vs defender's will.
IDHMBWM so I can't give page #s or exact quotes, but check it out.
Yea, it doesn't mention any modifiers either (apart from the +1 for repeated exposure within 24 hours).

The power I am making is basically the same as that one, but with a few other limitations.

Quote:
Darkness, bodies, dead loved ones, killing someone, high RoF weapons, explosions...
Okey, but most of those are, to me, things that require their own Fright check. I agree darkness and maybe "being alone" could give penalties, but the others are extremely elaborate. I was hoping to being able to use Terror defensively. To "scare off attackers" (not necessarily run away, that's another topic of discussion), but at least Stun them so I could hurt them or run away.

Terror is a pretty expensive ability. And having to win a Will check is difficult when the opponent has a base +5 bonus (assuming combat). I would be much better off simply buying a Affliction with malediction. but Terror (active) fits much better.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Yea, it doesn't mention any modifiers either (apart from the +1 for repeated exposure within 24 hours).

The power I am making is basically the same as that one, but with a few other limitations.
Well I think that "no penalties and no bonuses" balances out with "all penalties and bonuses". Fearlessness, Fearfulness and repeated exposure probably always should apply.

Quote:
Okey, but most of those are, to me, things that require their own Fright check. I agree darkness and maybe "being alone" could give penalties, but the others are extremely elaborate.
If all penalties apply then all the relevant ones present should apply. If you walk into a dark alleyway with your son and notice the alleyway is full of bodies and the monster suddenly appears and dissembowels your kid, you need to roll at the modifier for Terror plus all other other things, since it is much worse than seeing the monster in a cage in a brightly lit space full of armed guards.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #9
Maz

Quote:
If all penalties apply then all the relevant ones present should apply. If you walk into a dark alleyway with your son and notice the alleyway is full of bodies and the monster suddenly appears and dissembowels your kid, you need to roll at the modifier for Terror plus all other other things, since it is much worse than seeing the monster in a cage in a brightly lit space full of armed guards.
Yes of course, but all of those would apply if it was a random madman who jumped out at me with a knife.

I'm talking specifically about the Terror (Active) which is a supernatural ability to make people scared even if their are no logical reason to be so. Yes I could see some modifiers apply, but the "+5 from in combat" would simply make it pointless as a power to use in combat. If I have the time and means to arrange dead bodies, explosions and high RoF weapons, then I don't really need the "terror" ability in the first place.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:43 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Yes of course, but all of those would apply if it was a random madman who jumped out at me with a knife.
Terror wouldn't.
Quote:
I'm talking specifically about the Terror (Active) which is a supernatural ability to make people scared even if their are no logical reason to be so. Yes I could see some modifiers apply, but the "+5 from in combat" would simply make it pointless as a power to use in combat. If I have the time and means to arrange dead bodies, explosions and high RoF weapons, then I don't really need the "terror" ability in the first place.
Like I have been saying either way is probably balanced, but you should decide which it is when you design the ability.