Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-14-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
N.H.Alicia

Default Spells as Powers - Weapon Enhancements and Other Problematic Spells

I like statting spells as powers. It makes balancing much easier. Unfortunately, it makes certain spells much harder to stat, like weapon enchantments.

Say I have a sword. I want a power that can give the sword bonus damage and/or other bonuses - how would I create that power?
N.H.Alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
weby

Default Re: Spells as Powers - Weapon Enhancements and Other Problematic Spells

Bonus damage is simply innate attack with suitable modifiers.

Example: Self spell: do 1d6 extra fire damage with any weapon:
Burning Attack 1 (Follow-Up, Any weapon, +50%)[7.5]

If you want to limit it to melee range then add melee modifier, if you want it to be a buff spell then make an afflict that applies it and so on.

Edit: The +50% for follow up any weapon is official, but in my own games as a house rule the +50% only buys melee OR ranged and to get both requires a +100%

Thus burning missiles in my sorcery implementation (https://hups.kivinen.iki.fi/k2011:sorcery) is:
burning missiles: afflict (burning missiles +22.5%, Sorcery -15%, malediction:+100%, accessibility:cast on weapon:-5%, touch:-30%)[19], extra levels up to 5, are +2 points each and do +1 damage. burning missiles is: 1 point of burn damage(1 point: x0.3 Universal ranged followup:+50%)[2.25]

Last edited by weby; 10-14-2017 at 05:35 PM.
weby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Besides what weby said, which is definitely correct for adding damage, adding other effects (such as armor divisors, range to normally-melee attacks, and so forth) is covered, in GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery, by converting various Imbuement skills (which are in turn from Power-Ups 1: Imbuements) into advantages.

In general, Sorcery seems to be doing what you want to do here (turn advantages into spells you can cast), so you should probably look at that for useful tips.
Kelly Pedersen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Varyon

Thaumatology: Sorcery, page 11, has the rules for building weapon enhancements as Powers (as Sorcery is Magic as Powers). An alternative I'm fond of is a bit more complicated.

Essentially, treat the character as though he/she had the weapon as an appropriately-modified Innate Attack (for self-powered weapons) or Natural Weapon (for muscle-powered ones). You then simply add the appropriate Enhancements and work out what their costs would be - for a Crushing weapon, every +20% (or fraction thereof) is [1], for example, while for an Impaling weapon every +12.5% is [1]. You then build an Affliction to cast it on the weapon. For abilities that can work on multiple types of weapons, build it for the most expensive and multiply cost by 1.2 (I feel it's roughly worth two equal powers built as Alternate Abilities, hence the pricing). If it can work on both ranged and melee, I'd bump that to a multiplier of 1.5.

Note here you don't need to work out the modifiers for the original weapon, as modifiers only care about the base cost (unless using Multiplicative Modifiers, in which case the above scheme is probably too complicated to try to use). It can still be useful to work out some of them, however, as some enhancements will actually be buying off Limitations or or upgrading Enhancements. For example, a spell that makes a weapon indestructible would give it Resilient +40%. Very Fine weapons already have Resilient +20%, Fine have Resilient +10%, and Cheap have Fragile -20%. Thus, that's actually only +20% for Very Fine weapons, +30% for Fine, +40% for Good, and +60% for Cheap. I use the same methodology for my own take on Imbuements.

Last edited by Varyon; 10-14-2017 at 06:38 PM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:38 AM   #5
weby

I do not use imbuements for weapon buffs, instead for the armor divisors and the like I use the same procedure as Powers 146 for modifying ST based damage.

The resulting spells are then limited in how much force they can affect.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:10 AM   #6
N.H.Alicia

This thread has been a huge help.

The second question was going to be how to model mages with large numbers of spells, but buying them as alternate abilities should work - Sorcery is damn good!
Old 10-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.H.Alicia View Post
This thread has been a huge help.

The second question was going to be how to model mages with large numbers of spells, but buying them as alternate abilities should work - Sorcery is damn good!
Not that also modular abilities are a possible way to allow a lot of spells for a mage.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
rkbrown419

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
Not that also modular abilities are a possible way to allow a lot of spells for a mage.
Sorcerous Empowerment is a modular ability.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:34 PM   #9
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
Yes, but an expensive one that only allows 1 point for each level with levels costing 20/10. If you are going for modular abilities only so simulate something like a D&D mage you would likely use cheaper slots with things like Takes Extra Time added instead of reduced time.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #10
N.H.Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
Buying spells as alternate abilities of Sorcery is cheaper - the modular component is mainly for improvised spells.