Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-06-2017, 06:02 AM   #1
faitfull

Default how to take some of my allies damage?

Hi

I am trying to solve a little complicated thing.

to a new game I am making a spiritseer that have trapped some spirits to help her out.

the spirits, how to call them and handle their death and so on. Are already handled. used the pyramid article with replacable allies.

I would like one of them to share the damage done to either the party or a party member i choose. so each get 50/50 dmg.

however, how do I build it like that?

in Magic there is a share vitality spell. but not quite what i want.. does not feel right...

like always, thank you for taking your time to help me out!
faitfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: how to take some of my allies damage?

How about DR with either Costs HP (in this case, not on a fixed schedule, but every time the shielded target takes damage) to match the damage blocked, or else DR with a Backlash (severe Nuisance Effect) of taking damage?

You could also build it as a Reflexive Healing ability of the spirit, Empathic so the user takes the damage that they heal. But this might be a bit clunkier.

Do the spirits need to be actual characters, or are they really just the fluff text for how magic works? In the latter case, you can usually just worry about building the right effect. If it's actually important to the setting to have a few named characters that happen to be spirits and have some abilities that they can be persuaded to use on behalf of the PCs, then it might be worth building those few spirits as NPCs (or Allies) with actual character sheets and abilities. (Note that the second point isn't the same as the first in terms of game play, even though that one sentence might sound an awful lot like the theoretical "how magic works" fluff text. I'm really trying to get at whether or not the players are supposed to be constantly interacting with these spirits as a central part of the game, or whether that's really just the cool-sounding explanation for magic that provides some guidance on how it's treated, but isn't really central in the mechanics or actions of the player.)

Last edited by Anaraxes; 11-06-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: how to take some of my allies damage?

In the case of the former, it is -10% per HP. In the case of the latter, it is -20% per HP. I would suggest DR 10 with Affects Others, Area Effect (2 yards), Force Field, Limited (50% damage, which would be worth -40% in my opinion), and Reflexive, as well as a variable 1-10 HP cost per second. The end result would be a power worth 55 points and a one way trip to death.

A more interesting power might be a power that empowered you by your enemies damaging your friends. If you replace the variable HP cost with Absorption, the cost would increase to 160 points, but you could increase your power (or heal) as your friends suffered. Add an addition DR 5 with just Force Field for personal protection, and you would be good to go.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allies, share dmg