Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #1
DaltonS

Default FWIW: A Significant Formula for GURPS Spreadsheets

It is traditional in GURPS to round the final value of most calculations to 2 significant digits. While I have not been able to find a built-in function to do this in the (OpenOffice) spreadsheets I use, the following formula works fine to display values to that precision.
Code:
=ROUND(J8;IF(J8=0;0;INT(2-LOG10(ABS(J8)))))
where “J8” is the cell containing the raw value of the calculation. For other levels of precision, change the “2” in the formula to the number of significant digits you wish to use, or to a cell reference containing that value.
Dalton “who prefers 3 digits himself, but I'm not the Secret Masters Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: FWIW: A Significant Formula for GURPS Spreadsheets

Odd. I'd be very surprised if Libre Office (a fork off Open Office, that's apparently preferred by many, for reasons I no longer remember, but which I've switched over to myself) can't round to significant digits.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Odd. I'd be very surprised if Libre Office (a fork off Open Office, that's apparently preferred by many, for reasons I no longer remember, but which I've switched over to myself) can't round to significant digits.
Mine can, but what I think the formula does is handle the case that "23,530" needs to round to "24,000" while "2.353" needs to round to "2.4" in the same cell for calculations. Manually adjusting the "X" in "=ROUND(blah;X)" every time can get tedious, since the -2 in =ROUND(23530;-2) is just offsetting from the decimal.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #4
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Mine can, but what I think the formula does is handle the case that "23,530" needs to round to "24,000" while "2.353" needs to round to "2.4" in the same cell for calculations. Manually adjusting the "X" in "=ROUND(blah;X)" every time can get tedious, since the -2 in =ROUND(23530;-2) is just offsetting from the decimal.
Correct, that is why the formula DaltonS posted (or the variant based on LEN instead of LOG 10) has been used for many thing a long time in spreadsheets..
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
Humabout

Yeah, I usually use ROUND(VALUE,SIGFIG-LEN(INT(VALUE))), myself. IIRC, someties you need an IF to sort out VALUEs less than 1, but otherwise its pretty simple.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps, spreadsheet