Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-04-2012, 07:14 PM   #1
MunchkinAddictT

Default "Help Me Out Here" card

The Help Me Out Here card states that you can take an item from another player while in combat that would be the difference between your winning or not. AFTER combat, we have been giving the item BACK to the original owner of the item. We thought it was a borrowing card. So.... do you indeed KEEP the item after combat??? I thought I read so somewhere along one of the threads. Now that we went back and read the card we are all confused. I do not remember which pack the card came in and it actually isn't marked at the bottom like the unnatural axe, and need for steed and such...
MunchkinAddictT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
DoomedDuck

Default Re: "Help Me Out Here" card

It's from the base Munchkin, which is why it doesn't have an expansion icon. And yes, you keep the item, not return it. If I'm not mistaken, the card text says "take" one item. That means you take it and keep it.
DoomedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Clipper

I second DoomedDuck's opinion for the same reason. The cards says to take the Item, not borrow it.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
MunchkinAddictT

thanks y'all!! wow... whole new game with some of the rules we had misinterpreted ! Things might REALLY get brutal before long!!!
MunchkinAddictT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

I'm fairly certain that you read it on the other forum because I know we've covered that one several times. I'll confirm the opinions with official fact: You keep the card.

Though icons have been around a while (even before there was full-color Munchkin), it's always possible to find pre-icon sets. However, more often than not, if you have a card without an icon, it came from core set of that genre. However, there are links to specific card lists on the product pages for every set and expansion. Look towards the bottom, usually in first bullet under Resources.
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 09-04-2012 at 09:46 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
UncleBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Though icons have been around a while (even before there was full-color Munchkin), it's always possible to find pre-icon sets. However, more often than not, if you have a card without an icon, it came from core set of that genre.
Unless, of course, it's Henchmonster - the promo card without an icon that drove me crazy for quite a bit last night when I was sorting out my sets and couldn't figure out why my core deck seemed to have an extra door card, but not a single other card had any other icons on it. :D :D :D

Quote:
However, there are links to specific card lists on the product pages for every set and expansion. Look towards the bottom, usually in first bullet under Resources.
It'd be quite the undertaking for the entire Munchkin line, but if we had some user submitted spreadsheets with the card names, deck designation (Door, Treasure, etc.) and series/set name (then it would be something one could sort alphabetically by card name or resort by set name, etc.) is this something y'all would consider hosting? I wouldn't be able to do the whole series (as I've only got the fantasy decks/boosters/etc.), but I'm guessing there's more than a few of us who might be able to work together to make it happen. It'd be a little easier than clicking onto multiple pages to try find which set a particular card came from.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
It'd be quite the undertaking for the entire Munchkin line, but if we had some user submitted spreadsheets with the card names, deck designation (Door, Treasure, etc.) and series/set name (then it would be something one could sort alphabetically by card name or resort by set name, etc.) is this something y'all would consider hosting? I wouldn't be able to do the whole series (as I've only got the fantasy decks/boosters/etc.), but I'm guessing there's more than a few of us who might be able to work together to make it happen. It'd be a little easier than clicking onto multiple pages to try find which set a particular card came from.
You don't need such a database for that reason, though. Whenever I need to find a certain card that I don't own yet, I use a similar technique to the one suggested by RL here. Just do a Google search with the card name in quotes and add "card list" and "Munchkin" to the search line and the page you want will usually be the first hit.

Having said that, my first port of call is the database I have created with the text of all of my cards, and all the separations you mention in different fields, but I'm never going to share that with anyone, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by Clipper; 09-04-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

Clipper is exactly right: If you want something like that, you'll have to compile it yourself and keep it to yourself. I don't think there's enough time to give everyone what they want, and, well, some of what you all want (I've been asked for copies of the database) goes beyond what SJG is willing to give.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
alextmoreschi

I have a question about the help me out here card; Can one take an item that one could not normally use. For example, if I am a warrior can I steal a clerics mace of sharpness? Or any other example.
Thanks for your help!
alextmoreschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
Clipper

No. The card doesn't mention avoiding any carrying or usage restrictions.