Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
b-dog

Default [DF] Anyone use the In Nomine cosmology for your DF game?

I just bought In Nomine Ethereal players guide and it is an interesting book. I like the cosmology where there is an infernal and celestial power struggle (Evil vs. good) and then there is the ethereal which is more or less neutral. The gods from myth and legend are in this catagory of neutral; Zeus, Apollo, Thor, Odin, Orsirus, Set etc. Having a set-up like this would really strengthen the neutral alignment and adds a lot of conflict that is not just good vs evil. Of course DF also has Elder Things too. I am just curious if anyone has set up their game world using this cosmology. If so I would be interested.

I like the idea of having monotheistic religions having absolute morality so that God and his angels are the forces of good while the Devil and his demons are the forces of evil. This leaves a lot of middle ground to Odin and his valkeries which can serve either side or only themselves and makes for a more complicated battle between good and evil. What do you think? Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: [DF] Anyone use the In Nomine cosmology for your DF game?

I think this lends itself very well to DF. Good clerics, evil clerics and druids. Or you can cobble together something similar to the good clerics' vows with stuff like "be mindful of the balance," "try to mediate in conflicts," or even "make sure everyone eats enough vegetables" (for the God of Health.)
Old 12-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #3
LoneWolf23k

I believe there's an online article that reinvents the Archangels and Demon Princes as Fantasy Deities.

But in any case, I highly approve of this concept.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

http://www.sjgames.com/in-nomine/art...ngs/ind20.html , perchance? O:>
Old 12-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
That's it, thanks.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #6
b-dog

In any case I really like the cosmology of In Nomine. It is very similar to Ars Magica. I would absolutely love to have some In Nomine/GURPS DF books if possible. I like the idea of having good vs. evil with angels from Heaven and demons from Hell along with the ethereals which are the fairy and beings from myth which are basically neutral and help to hold the balance. Maybe Athena and Orsirus might more likely side with good while Loki, Set and Ares might more likely side with evil but the gods of myth are independant and follow their own desires instead of being completely aligned with good or evil. But as far as bad guys go, Hell is a pretty awesome source of villians with a whole background to explore. Hell would be awesome IMO for evil liches and other dungeon makers to deal with to help stock their dungeons. I am sure the Devil would freely help an evil lich with demons to put in his dungeon for a small price of course.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I like the idea of having monotheistic religions having absolute morality so that God and his angels are the forces of good while the Devil and his demons are the forces of evil.
Maybe, after so much emphasis in Horror and Weirdness (*), the GURPS line could get benefit of a kind of sourcebook like The Book of Exalted Deeds. I'm not talking about the specific contents of this DnD 3 book, but about its general idea. If not, the general feeling I get is a line somewhat unbalanced and noticeably inclined towards the sinister side of the things, or put in other words, towards a sort of Book of Vile Darkness perspective.

(*) I have, for instance, the Suppressed Transmission articles and books in mind, along with GURPS Cabal, GURPS Weird War, the upcoming new edition of GURPS Horror and the still in development "Project M" of Rev. PK (zombies, plagues, axes, mutated serial killers, . . . ).

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
b-dog

I like my campaign to be a sort of mythic earth with cool stuff from myths and medieval history. I think the myth like the dwarves of the Norse pantheon would be a great source of magic items for the PCs to find. There are many artifacers races in myths but I would like to ask for any others that people in the forums can think of so that I can have lots of cool stuff for the PCs. So what other mythical creatures created magic items? Thanks.

Tags
in nomine