Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Chuk

Default Do monster bonuses stack for each player in the combat they apply to?

I can't find a rule for this. For example, say that in Super Munchkin you're fighting some kind of Ninja who gets +3 vs. anyone who doesn't have the Thief ability. If this Ninja is fighting a player who is being helped and neither of the players have Thief, does the Ninja get +6?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #2
ComBAT

Default Re: Do monster bonuses stack for each player in the combat they apply to?

I am not an official rule, but I'd have to say yes.
Pretend that each player involved in combat is fighting each monster individually. You then combine the bonuses of both players together.
If you are fighting a monster that says +5 against females. You are a male and cannot defeat it. You receive the help of a female. The +5 is applied against the female as if the monster is only fighting her. It's not +2.5 against each person because the monster is fighting 2 people even though only one person is female.
If you it's -2 against dwarves, and both people in combat are dwarves, it becomes -4.
Advantages and disadvantages in combat apply to each person in the combat.
ComBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
bonetm

Default Re: Do monster bonuses stack for each player in the combat they apply to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Munchkin Rules
For instance, if you are not an Exotic, but an Exotic helps you, The Fandom Menace will be at a -3 against you. But if you are facing Professor Polar and a Mutant helps you, the foe’s level is increased by 3 (unless you, too, are a Mutant and the foe’s level has already been increased. . . don’t increase it twice).
The rules can be found here. It's a pdf file.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
Nakiro

I think the rules regarding this have always been the same, you don't get penalized twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin
If you are facing the Wannabe Vampire and a Cleric helps you,
he can chase it away automatically. But if you are facing the
Drooling Slime and an Elf helps you, the monster’s combat
strength is increased by 4 (unless you, too, are an Elf and the
monster’s combat strength has already been increased).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Munchkin
For instance, if you are not an Exotic, but an Exotic helps you, The Fandom Menace will be at a -3 against you. But if you are facing Professor Polar and a Mutant helps you, the foe’s level is increased by 3 (unless you, too, are a Mutant and the foe’s level has already been increased. . . don’t increase it twice).
MiB #3872
Nakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
Kirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComBAT View Post
If you are fighting a monster that says +5 against females. You are a male and cannot defeat it. You receive the help of a female. The +5 is applied against the female as if the monster is only fighting her. It's not +2.5 against each person because the monster is fighting 2 people even though only one person is female.
Advantages and disadvantages in combat apply to each person in the combat.
Actually, no, as BoneTm's and Nakiro's posts above show.

Monster bonuses or penalties are not applied "per player".

They are applied to the side of the players.

If a specific bonus ("+4 against elves") has already been applied to the side of the players, then adding another player will not change it.

Last edited by Kirt; 08-16-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: didn't see Nakiro's quote of Fantasy rules
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

There's no need to pile on. One clear answer to the question is sufficient. If the original poster is still confused, he'll let us know.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
Chuk

Thanks. Sorry, I was just reading the PDF on my phone and I guess I missed that part.

Tags
monster bonus, per player