Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 01-18-2010, 02:42 PM   #11
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Psychic Mapping, exploration and DxM cards

I'm arguing. The rule is that you roll the die when you draw a new monster, and I see nothing in Psychic Mapping to indicate differently here. We've always played that you roll the die and then tip the stand and the monster token over together.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 PM   #12
Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
I'm arguing. The rule is that you roll the die when you draw a new monster, and I see nothing in Psychic Mapping to indicate differently here. We've always played that you roll the die and then tip the stand and the monster token over together.
That's exactly what we do.

Glad we got something right all on our own!

WOOT!!!
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
I'm arguing.
Which is not to say that I'm right and Erik is wrong, just that there isn't a consensus yet on the issue. I apologize (to the group and to Erik) for not making that clear earlier.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Which is not to say that I'm right and Erik is wrong, just that there isn't a consensus yet on the issue. I apologize (to the group and to Erik) for not making that clear earlier.
Does it actually make any difference?
  1. Psychic Mapping is played. The Monster is drawn and placed in the room but tipped over to indicate that it doesn't move yet.
  2. The Monster Die is rolled and a player may get a DxM.
  3. When someone actually enters the room, the monster is flipped and play continues normally.
Or
  • Psychic Mapping is played. The Monster is drawn and placed in the room but tipped over to indicate that it doesn't move yet.
  • When someone actually enters the room, the Monster Die is rolled and a player may get a DxM.
  • The monster is flipped and play continues normally.

Both have the exact same game effects. The Monster doesn't move until someone enters the room, and someone may get a DxM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 AM   #15
Rudkin

The difference is that, if it is a high-level monster (and/or has had enhancers played on it) it would count as one of the three monsters pertaining to a certain colour, and might be removed if too many of that colour of monster appeared (The tipped monster is Blue, level 20, and there are two other Blue monsters, levels 8 and 4. Someone draws a monster card from the deck and rolls Blue. There are now too many Blue monsters, so the highest level Blue monster is removed, namely the level 20 monster that has been tipped over.)

I will admit that I may have this rule slightly wrong; it has been a little while since playing, and I don't have the rules handy. Nevertheless, in the case where the highest level monster needs to be removed in favour of a new one, the one discovered from Psychic Mapping could certainly be removed if it had a base, but if it didn't it could be up for debate. At least, that's how I see it.

~~~~~
I shall have to re-read that section of the rules, along with the rules for Psychic Mapping. I gather you pick a location to place the room first, then reveal the room, not the other way around (otherwise it would hardly be useless at all).

I could see this being particularly useful for denying someone a DxM card for exploring, or for blocking the placement of the Exit (if using the Extra Parts rules). Even as a personal safeguard it's nothing to sneer at; knowing that there is a Hippogriff in that Spiked Pit beforehand could save your life (which is more valuable than a single DxM card, in my opinion).

Also, it makes for an interesting dynamic with Traps.... Hm. I will most certainly have to go over the rules again to figure out some of these little fiddly card interactions. Sorry if I got a bit off-topic there.
Rudkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:54 AM   #16
MunchkinMan

My thinking was this: If you pick the base when the Monster is drawn, then we have a Monster that doesn't move, but takes up a base. Does it or does it not count for Monster removal if we run out of bases? Technically, the Monster isn't part of the game yet, but by putting a base on it, it is halfway there and has to be considered for certain situations. I'd rather not put the base on until the room is "discovered," but that's me.

It seems like one of those things we have to cover well in the FAQ or errata once we make a decision and maybe consider an update to the card (or the rules) to make certain things clear.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
Spaceknight

If you don't place a monster base immediately, then you raise the issue of who rolls the monster die.
The card makes it clear the player of the Mapping draws the monster, so they should roll. (and thus be the one given the choice if the roll is unplayable.) But if you don't do that immediately you can forget who has to roll, as well as open the door for various munchkinly rules lawyering if people wanted to try that.

You say the monster is not part of the game yet. Why would that be? The only thing Mapping says is that it does not move. I'd think it's perfectly well part of the game in all other aspects. Including, perhaps, someone wanting to throw another card on top of it while it's sitting there waiting. (why? Well, it's better than giving that card to charity.)

Last edited by Spaceknight; 01-19-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Spaceknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
My thinking was this: If you pick the base when the Monster is drawn, then we have a Monster that doesn't move, but takes up a base. Does it or does it not count for Monster removal if we run out of bases?
This strikes me as feature, honestly. One might play Psychic Mapping when all the bases are being used just to remove the highest level monster.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dxm, exploration, psychic mapping