Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-29-2017, 11:05 PM   #571
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I am not sure of your interpretation, but given that restriction....
Just felt I should address this bit - if you look at the descriptions of the Paths in the RPM book, Path of Body is explicitly only about affecting things that are currently alive, while physical things that are not alive are the purview of Path of Body (Path of Undead gets a special mention, as it applies to those things that are somewhere in between). Notably, the description of Path of Body notes it will affect living trees but not fallen branches, while Path of Matter notes that it will affect dead bodies, and in fact is the Path you need to use to create food.

Personally, I'm not fond of some of those effects, and lean more toward having Path of Body be used on living things and for making food, Path of Matter be used on never-living things, and Path of Undead be used on once-living things (there can occasionally be exceptions to let Path of Body work on recently-living things, and Path of Undead be used on still-living-but-I'd-rather-it-weren't-and-here's-a-spell-for-that things, however, and Path of Matter is probably alright for was-living-a-long-time-ago things).
Old 12-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #572
ajardoor

Mage Online/Commune With Information Superhighway/Brain Browser/Net Medium
Spell Effects: Greater Sense Energy + Lesser Control Energy + Lesser Sense Mind.
Inherent Modifiers: None.
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

This ritual will temporarily connect the caster to the Internet via telepathy, if a normal computer could access the Internet through a normal ISP at the caster's location. The caster can mentally view the Internet as if looking at a browser and can mentally command the browser's usual functions as if using a mundane keyboard, mouse, webcam, and so on. Thus, you could telepathically post on forums or upload pictures you "took" with your eyes using this ritual. You can not, however, download data from the Internet into your mind (where would you store it?) - but you can move such data around (although a Control or Transform Energy ritual may be needed first).

Typical Casting: Greater Sense Energy (2) + Lesser Control Energy (5) + Lesser Sense Mind (2) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 30 energy (10x3).
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:19 PM   #573
ssveter

Steve McQueen
Spell Effects: Greater Strengthen Body + Lesser Strengthen Body.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Skill Driving(Auto) + Bestows A Bonus + Duration.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

Bestows the skill Driving(auto) with a bonus to those rolls for 30 minutes

This Casting: Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Lesser Strengthen Body (3) + Altered Trait, Skill Driving(Auto) (4) + Bestows A Bonus, +5 (16) + Duration, 30 minutes (2). 84 energy (28×3).

Is this legit??

Last edited by ssveter; 12-19-2017 at 01:20 PM. Reason: bc
ssveter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:32 PM   #574
Shostak

I think the Greater Strengthen Body could be Lesser.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #575
ssveter

Default Thousand-Legged Demise (Ritual Path Version)

Thousand-Legged Demise

Spell Effects: Greater Transform Body + Lesser Destroy Mind.
Inherent Modifiers: Subject Weight + Affliction, Attribute Penalty -10 IQ.

Transforms subject into a seething swarm of small, mindless creatures. Rather than stay in a cohesive horde, the critters crawl, fly, or swim in all directions. The spell collapses 10 minutes later, leaving gobbets of the victim’s dead body scattered across a radius equal to his Move (or on interior walls, if contained), with a few surviving creepy-crawlers dining on the carrion.

This Casting: Greater Transform Body (8) + Lesser Destroy Mind (5) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + Range, 20 yds (6) + Affliction, 200% to Attribute Penalty -10 IQ (40). 189 energy (63×3).
Old 12-21-2017, 06:05 PM   #576
Shostak

Default Re: Thousand-Legged Demise (Ritual Path Version)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssveter View Post
Thousand-Legged Demise

Spell Effects: Greater Transform Body + Lesser Destroy Mind.
Inherent Modifiers: Subject Weight + Affliction, Attribute Penalty -10 IQ.
Cool idea for a spell! Right off the bat, I think a -10 penalty is beyond a Lesser effect. But, I'm not sure you need Destroy Mind at all. With Lesser Transform Mind, you could make the victim think that he is a worm. Then maybe add Lesser Control Mind to give a single command to crawl. Getting rid of the -10 penalty would make this a much less expensive spell. I'll be interested to see what others with think.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #577
Shostak

On further reflection, I think that, since this is a spell that will kill its subject, the main spell effect here is Destroy Body and that it requires a damage modifier that will deal enough damage to kill. The crawling critter part is really just cool color. If not enough damage is done, then not enough critters crawl far enough away for the victim's body to be dispersed. I would probably not even charge for the transformation effect, since to do so would just encourage players to leave the cool bits out in favor of the lowest cost spell possible.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #578
starslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
On further reflection, I think that, since this is a spell that will kill its subject, the main spell effect here is Destroy Body and that it requires a damage modifier that will deal enough damage to kill. The crawling critter part is really just cool color. If not enough damage is done, then not enough critters crawl far enough away for the victim's body to be dispersed. I would probably not even charge for the transformation effect, since to do so would just encourage players to leave the cool bits out in favor of the lowest cost spell possible.
I think what you actually need here is affliction: Heart attack (+300%)- which is generally the accepted 'save or die' affliction level.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 06:14 AM   #579
ssveter

Default Re: Thousand Legged Demise

I pulled this from GURPS Magic Death Spells page 10.

So I wanted to replicate the spell in Ritual Path Magic.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:01 AM   #580
ssveter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
I think what you actually need here is affliction: Heart attack (+300%)- which is generally the accepted 'save or die' affliction level.
I would have to reject that in favor of the fact that the subject is transformed into critters. Thus is not an affliction.

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology