Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
Refplace

Default RPM Chi based (Naruto)

So been thinking of Chi based RPM effect and on initial thought it would be pretty restrictive. Then I tohught about Naruto and how it might fit.
Normally I would do that settign with Powers but I think it may work out well using RPM.

Taijitu is bascially Path of Body and mostly actual martial Arts but ome charecters use it for superhuman effects.
GenJitsu probably works well as Path of Mind.
Ninjitsu is where the real variety is at.
You have five elements, Earth, Fire, Water, Wind and Lightning.
You have some like Wood style that mix two or more.
Most charecters only learn one element real well but many taek a secodnary element to round them out and some rare people can learn more then one.
There is a KekoGenki (I think that is how it is spelled) that is more a blood line trait and is often a new element blended from two main ones.

You also have Summoning Jitsu (including a rare teleport variant) that also includes a Gizmo like power.
Reanimation and other special Jitsus exist as well.
Medical Ninjitsu also uses Path of Body.

Charecters do not spend much time gathering energy in combat, few have charms and most have a high ER.

--------------------------------Edit--------------------------
Ok, so here are some ideas. I will be editing these based on responses.
Body Control as the core skill was suggested and since all powers are powered by Chakra that works for even the mental ones I think. My original thought was to use Meditation.
You can only use Rituals you have Ritual Mastery for. New Jitsu use the inventing rules and most learn rather then come up with new abilities.
Most have Ritual Adept but few use energy gathering.
I would give it some limitations.
The "Copy Ninja" and possibly the Ichia could use Quick Gadgeterr to copy observed jitsu rituals.

Path of Taijitsu P/VH
Pretty much everyone learns this and it works like a limited Path of Body, no transformations. It requires no signs to use and grants powers like Super Jump, Walk on Water, Enhanced Move (Running) as well as a lot of Super ST and DX or speed enhancement.

Path of Genjitsu M/VH Fairly common but most are weak at it. I think Path of Mind covers most of it and its mostly Illusions placed into the subjects mind.

Path of Element P/H Pick one element and it works like Matter or Energy for that element only. May buy this more then once but few buy more then 2 and most only really master 1.

Path of Summoning M/VH Crossroads effects, most learn it to summon a specific Great Beast, some use it for a Payload type power where they store things in scrolls. Though they can attack with a wave of missiles pulled out of them for example. A very few learn a special trick o teleport themselves or others. This is the main Path where we see lots of time taken such as Energy Gathering.

Medical Jitsu: Healing, including disease and also making someone sick. requires fine "Chakra" control and few are able to master it but its not a bloodline or clan thing.

Special Path.
Insect Summoning and Control
Visual Jitsus like the Ichiu which are just wierd plus one GenJitsu and the radar like vision of another clan.
Reanimation Jitsu
Expansion Jitsu which lets you grow part or all of your body
Star Jisstsu (the meteor clan one) lets you create specail energy to attack, shield or even move with.
Beast Jitsu lets you transform or gain beast like powers and you partner with a special animal (Dog is only example) and your powers work on you and your bonded companion. You can swap physiacl appearance or traits between you.
Shadow Control use shadow to control someone or attack them. Call it TK with a few limitations.
POsession such as Sakura, telecontrol pretty much.
Karins sense Chakra
Other sense jitsu exist as well.

Sage Mode lets you gather energy, sense things, buff up your body making it stronger, faster and tougher, has a weakness covered by specific Quirks and botchs on gathering roll start to turn you into an animal (snake and toad are the two we see) and too much turns you into an animal statue.
Few master it and well it is risky.

PS: pardon the editing and lack of format, computer being flakey.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 10-24-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: RPM Chi based (Naruto)

One of my players just started working up spells for his samurai character - mostly ones that influence his own chi powers. It actually works quite well. Not quite what you are doing (I don't watch Naruto so I couldn't give you better feedback) - but I like the idea of RPM as "chi magic." It's worked well in my games so far. :-)

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
Varyon

Shortly after purchasing RPM, I realized it would probably be ideal for handling something like the Alchemy from Full Metal Alchemist (one modification would be to require Consecrated Space to cast, with most characters buying this requirement off with Gadgets and the like). Your post shows it would probably work for Naruto's Ninjitsu as well - and come to think of it, it probably wouldn't be too bad for the various destruction/binding/etc spells from Bleach.

It's probably safe to say that RPM works for a large variety of anime-style magic.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
DangerousThing

I'm using something like RPM in my game, and I've already said that all magic is from the same source. By that I mean that chi effects, psionics, and more normal magic are the same thing. This also means that an anti-magic power will effect all of these unless the power has Cosmic protected. Plus, if you can detect chi you can detect magic and psionics.

I hadn't thought of having chi use the same mechanisms as magic though, but I think you're right: it can be done. I'll have to think on how it should be implemented, and am hoping you have ideas for this.

All I can think of right now is using an ER for the quick power ups that are seen in most anime. For the slower ones like the actual transformations in Dragon Ball Z, the normal energy gathering could be used.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousThing View Post

All I can think of right now is using an ER for the quick power ups that are seen in most anime. For the slower ones like the actual transformations in Dragon Ball Z, the normal energy gathering could be used.
Yeah Dragon Ball Z seems easy enough.
Most stuff in Naruto could be done, its organizing it that I am not so sure on.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 10-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
Humabout

I'd definitely start by creating new path skills. As you've already said, Taijitsu and Genjitsu would be (VH) skills for sure. Depending on the breadth of the five elemental paths (is it literally just water or does it include thematically similar things, like flexibility, energy flow, coolness, wisdom, etc. as well?), they might be (H) or (VH). I would definitely use Body Control as the capping skill in place of Thaumatology.

Are there any skills for dealing with long distances or cross-dimensional stuff? What about manipulating probability?

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I'd definitely start by creating new path skills. As you've already said, Taijitsu and Genjitsu would be (VH) skills for sure. Depending on the breadth of the five elemental paths (is it literally just water or does it include thematically similar things, like flexibility, energy flow, coolness, wisdom, etc. as well?), they might be (H) or (VH). I would definitely use Body Control as the capping skill in place of Thaumatology.

Are there any skills for dealing with long distances or cross-dimensional stuff? What about manipulating probability?
The elemental paths all use that element directly. Creative use, sure, but still actually using the element to achieve effects.

Honestly, the hardest skills to replicate, even using Powers, are the Bloodline Jutsus.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post

Body Control, thats an interesting idea and should work.
Nothing manipulating probability that I can think of, though there is an Extra Life kind of power that lets you "Undo" things.
Long Distance, definately. Dimensional maybe not. There is a Cosmic Payload power, teleport and Summon monster by teleporting them in from far away. Some of the summoning tricks I would do as dimensional, even if there said to be from another continent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
The elemental paths all use that element directly. Creative use, sure, but still actually using the element to achieve effects.

Honestly, the hardest skills to replicate, even using Powers, are the Bloodline Jutsus.
Yeah, direct elemental manipulation, though its pretty veratile. Wood is used to create forests and a house for example.
Since your familiar with the material, help me with some of the examples, especially ones you think are more difficult. I cant recall it all.
Also the more types the better.
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 10-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yeah, direct elemental manipulation, though its pretty veratile. Wood is used to create forests and a house for example.
Since your familiar with the material, help me with some of the examples, especially ones you think are more difficult. I cant recall it all.
Also the more types the better.
Some decent examples from earlier in the series (without worrying about proper names TOO much):

Fire Style Jutsu: Flamethrower breath. This one converts one lungful of breath into a flamethrower.

Lightning Style Jutsu: Chidori. A lot of lightning on your fist, but stealth is out the window, due to the noise it makes.

Wind Style Jutsu: Rasengan. An explosive sphere of wind in your hand.

Earth Style Jutsu: A more lethal version of the Entomb spell. Instead of encasing somebody in earth and burying them, they are encased in earth and then crushed into a fine powder.

Water Style Jutsu: Water Prison. Traps your opponent in a sphere of water, preventing all movement. Optionally, you may prevent speach, or even breathing. However, you must keep one arm inside the sphere, or it succumbs to gravity and becomes a mere puddle.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
whswhs

There will be material on elemental magic in GURPS Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers, which seems to be making progress toward actual publication. It won't be the same five elements—it uses the Chinese list of earth, metal, water, wood, and fire—but it does provide a model for an elements-based treatment of magic integrated with martial arts. It's not exactly the same as Ritual Path Magic, though, and might take some work to integrate with it.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote