Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Nosforontu

Default RPM Necromancers

A quick question on everyones opinion of floating the slow recharge limitation to Magery for the RPM system. I am statting a bit of an alternate Necromancer variant for RPM that will need to refuel their internal reserves via leech and it seems fair on the surface since RPM magery is essentially 3 points of energy reserve and a perk +1 max thaumatology skill, but I want to make sure that I am not missing something with it.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: RPM Necromancers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
A quick question on everyones opinion of floating the slow recharge limitation to Magery for the RPM system. I am statting a bit of an alternate Necromancer variant for RPM that will need to refuel their internal reserves via leech and it seems fair on the surface since RPM magery is essentially 3 points of energy reserve and a perk +1 max thaumatology skill, but I want to make sure that I am not missing something with it.
Well, if we port it over directly it would be a 63% limitation (applying -70% to the energy reserve part of Magery only yield 2.7 points per 3 ER). So if you add back in the path cap (+1 point) you get 3.7 which is 63% of the original advantage. Round it up to 65% and you probably have something fair(ish).

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Nosforontu

Sounds good, though I might want to look for another 5% limitaion for it to avoid fractions on the power. Probably put temprary disadvantage callous (-5%) on it to round the power up 70%
Old 10-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Langy

The bigger question is: how do you Leech with RPM?

Presumably you just double the energy cost of the Damage modifier. Something like Transform Body might be able to do it, and you've got to have appropriate Subject Weight for both subjects.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Nosforontu

The way I was going to do it was just stick leech tweaked out a bit on the template cost and make it a prerequisite for the RPM [Necromancy] Advantage.

If I was going to do it with just pure RPM though I would probably make it a Path of Undead Ritual rather than a Body spell as it seems to fit a bit better thematically to me.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Sounds good, though I might want to look for another 5% limitaion for it to avoid fractions on the power. Probably put temprary disadvantage callous (-5%) on it to round the power up 70%
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
The bigger question is: how do you Leech with RPM?

Presumably you just double the energy cost of the Damage modifier. Something like Transform Body might be able to do it, and you've got to have appropriate Subject Weight for both subjects.
I have something that will make it official, but for right now, use the Damage modifier and triple the cost.

Quote:
The way I was going to do it was just stick leech tweaked out a bit on the template cost and make it a prerequisite for the RPM [Necromancy] Advantage.

If I was going to do it with just pure RPM though I would probably make it a Path of Undead Ritual rather than a Body spell as it seems to fit a bit better thematically to me.
That works.

Become a Patron!
Old 10-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Langy

Why would it be triple cost? That's more expensive than just doing straight-up 'Damage this person by x and heal this person by x', since the price of healing and the price of damage are equal.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Why would it be triple cost? That's more expensive than just doing straight-up 'Damage this person by x and heal this person by x', since the price of healing and the price of damage are equal.
Because you're getting it all in one spell effect. I've used it for a bit (about 7 game sessions) so it could need ironing out. Let's see...

Leech: Lesser Restore Body (4) + Healing, 1d (0) + Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Damage, 1d Draining (0) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 12 energy

vs.

Leech: Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Damage, 1d Draining (0) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 8 energy

And at higher levels....

Leech: Greater Restore Body (4) + Healing, 3d (8) + Greater Destroy Body (5) + Damage, 1d (8) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 115 energy (23x5)

vs.

Leech: Greater Destroy Body (5) + Damage, 3d Draining (24) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 96 energy (23x3).

That assumes of course that you could fudge and say Subject Weight affects both you and your target since the effects are linked. Still, you may have a case. I'll look at it again. :-)

Become a Patron!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Langy

I wouldn't use Destroy Body for a Leech effect; I'd use Transform, which is just one point less than both Destroy + Restore.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I wouldn't use Destroy Body for a Leech effect; I'd use Transform, which is just one point less than both Destroy + Restore.
How is it a Transform effect? You're not physically changing the target - you're draining energy from him. That sounds like Destroy to me.

Become a Patron!

Tags
rpm