Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-23-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
b-dog

Default False Aura

I have a question as to how is best to handle a monster with a false aura. For example a demon with a false aura that detects as good. Maybe the demon must use fatigue to turn on the false aura when around those that can sense evil? Or maybe it is always on but those with very acute detect evil senses or spells can detect that the demon is not good and instead evil? Any suggestions?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #2
Dalin

Default Re: False Aura

I would probably make it a quick contest like spell resistance. Maybe based on Will or IQ (or IQ vs. Will). Maybe the "False Aura" trait comes in levels that act like magic resistance, making the check harder for "higher level" foes. Likewise, the cleric or holy warrior's PI or Holiness would provide a bonus for them.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:38 PM   #3
Balor Patch

Alternate Form with the monster class being the only change on the templates. [15]
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:49 PM   #4
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
I have a question as to how is best to handle a monster with a false aura.
I would use its disguise skill, but since creatures aren't required to have an aura at all, you can do whatever seems to fit your game without worrying about contradicting some rule.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:20 PM   #5
b-dog

Thanks for the help. The idea I have is that there is an evil cleric in a good church or temple. The evil cleric also has a dog that is really a hellhound in disguise. Both of them can create an aura of good to escape detection by spell casters and those that can sense evil. The limitation when using this false aura is that the evil cleric and hellhound must behave in a Good way. The false aura vanishes when they do something evil or violent so they have to be on their best behavior. Basically they must make their Will rolls against Sadism and Bully. The evil cleric is slowly corrupting the church congregation and eventually they will serve the demon lord that the evil cleric serves.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:08 PM   #6
Dalin

Sounds like a fun premise. I'm curious whether the slow corruption requires the cleric to do detectably evil things, or if tempting others toward their own weaknesses is subtle enough that it doesn't "de-cloak" the cleric.

In this sort of scenario, I also wonder about the original god (the "good" one). Is he or she unaware of the plot? Unable or unwilling to intervene directly? Does the demon lord try to slip in seamlessly, starting to provide spells and other "holy" powers as the faithful stray? Maybe there is some sort of jamming that has to happen. The evil cleric somehow defiles the main altar every day which blinds, distracts, or blocks the original god somehow.

Many adventure possibilities in all of this.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:09 PM   #7
Anthony

If this is GURPS Magic, you want the False Aura spell (Magic 122).
Old 09-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #8
martinl

This seems like a great time to build a giant copper still full of good people/spirits/artifacts/puppies, and use it to alchemically distill aura-modifying ointment.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #9
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
Sounds like a fun premise. I'm curious whether the slow corruption requires the cleric to do detectably evil things, or if tempting others toward their own weaknesses is subtle enough that it doesn't "de-cloak" the cleric.

In this sort of scenario, I also wonder about the original god (the "good" one). Is he or she unaware of the plot? Unable or unwilling to intervene directly? Does the demon lord try to slip in seamlessly, starting to provide spells and other "holy" powers as the faithful stray? Maybe there is some sort of jamming that has to happen. The evil cleric somehow defiles the main altar every day which blinds, distracts, or blocks the original god somehow.

Many adventure possibilities in all of this.
The idea I have is that this evil church is in a town near a dungeon. There is an old church that is falling into disrepair because they have lost so many worshippers. The evil church is to a new god and it has a lot of wealth and worshippers are flocking to it. There are a few sanctums in the evil church, there is one for initiates which has no questionable services then there are other sanctums below the church with ecstatic dancing and finally one of blood drinking and flesh eating. The blood is extremely intoxicating and addicting. Those who drink it quickly wish to drink more until the price comes where the worshipper sells his soul for more of the narcotic blood.

All this is happening as the PCs are exploring the dungeon nearby. He PCs could get healed in the evil church and be on their way to selling their souls or they might choose the old church and be really healed. But mainly the church is changing th town while the PCs return to town for resupply. At one point the entire town become under control of the evil church which is in league with a demon lord in the nearby dungeon unless the PCs find out the true nature of the church and defeat it.