Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-09-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Phil C.

Default Price of an Inn?

I'm familiar with the suggested price of accomodations in the Basic books, but they seem a little steep. I'm curious -- what do others charge for a night's stay at an inn in a fantasy game?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Default Re: Price of an Inn?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C. View Post
I'm familiar with the suggested price of accomodations in the Basic books, but they seem a little steep. I'm curious -- what do others charge for a night's stay at an inn in a fantasy game?
Depends on your assumptions. If you're having inns in every village despite most villages being unable to support one, cut the book prices anywhere from 1/2 to 1/10. If inns are only in towns or very large villages, book price, keeping in mind that the characters will usually go for the status -1 option.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
The_Nightwatch

If you're running something low to medium-tech, consider the following:

- How often do they change the sheets? Do they wash them enough to kill all the vermin in them?

- Do they even have sheets? Or mattresses?

- Are there private rooms, or just lay your bedroll in the common room?

- Are there fireplaces in the rooms? Are there fires in them? Are they enough to provide heat?

- Do the chimneys smoke?

- How drafty are the windows?

- What shape is the roof in? If thatch, are things living in it?

You get the idea. If the answers to all the above are pretty optimal, you're going to pay more. If the place is really cheap, you may have to make HT roll(s) every night...
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
I'm familiar with the suggested price of accomodations in the Basic books, but they seem a little steep.
Paying for food and accommodations on the road is expensive, so I'm OK with the suggested prices. When I can be bothered, which isn't often, I sometimes limit the quality of food and facilities to a particular standard of living. Frex, in a little village in the middle of nowhere, the resources to keep a duke or king in the luxury to which he is accustomed. Therefore, the best travelers can get is equivalent to, say, Status 0, with prices capped at that level.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Paying for food and accommodations on the road is expensive, so I'm OK with the suggested prices. When I can be bothered, which isn't often, I sometimes limit the quality of food and facilities to a particular standard of living. Frex, in a little village in the middle of nowhere, the resources to keep a duke or king in the luxury to which he is accustomed. Therefore, the best travelers can get is equivalent to, say, Status 0, with prices capped at that level.
On the other hand, in settings where it is customary to provide hospitality to travellers free of charge, if a village does get visited by one or more individuals whom the villagers presume (correctly or not) to be of high GURPS Status, they will provide their best food and drink.

Usually that will not all that much, but it will tend to include a meal rich in meat or fresh fish, or both, whereas their typical diet contains very little of those. And it will also include their strongest and most flavourful alcoholic drinks, rather than the dilluted stuff they usually drink.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
MrTim

Quote:
I'm familiar with the suggested price of accomodations in the Basic books, but they seem a little steep.
$30 a night for a hotel room seems steep?
MrTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
SCHIFTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTim View Post
$30 a night for a hotel room seems steep?
In a fantasy game, yes.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #8
Stone Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHIFTY View Post
In a fantasy game, yes.
Well, these ARE Gurps dollars we are talking about here. Abstracted to be that $1 is roughly the same regardless of era. It could be one Copper Crown Coin in a fantasy campaign or 5 kilo-quatloos in a dystopian space setting.

GURPS dollars don't seem to adjust for inflation.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHIFTY View Post
In a fantasy game, yes.

I'm confused. At 80$ for a gold coin and 4$ for a silver (Dungeon Fantasy assumption), 30$ is 7 silver 3 copper.

Compare this to D&D 3.5, where a nights stay at a good inn is 2gp, and at a common inn is 5sp, does not include food. Food for a day is an additional 3sp, 5sp for good.

This is downright cheap.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
jacobmuller

Not RL$30 but G$30. The value of G$ compared to RL$ depends on your campaign background, eg if I need to figure the cost of something (Hey, Jay, do they still sell spoons?) in my TL10 setting, I can multiply RL$ by 3 (yeah, $15 for a pack of 6 self-cleansing memory-plastic sporves, unless you want something fancy?).

That puts a G$30 inn at RL$10! Must be the common room floor - first come gets closest to the fire.

(PS: I'm disappointed - I was expecting to discover how much an inn would cost.)
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote