Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #281
Whome?

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Speaking of Low Tech, SJG did a real nice job on that book. I'm glad that SJG released enough Hardbacks to make the line viable - that is, if you come to Gurps from DnD 4e or WOD or Pathfinder - there's enough Gurps books of similar quality to WOC and WW releases that you'll take the game seriously.

I do hope they continue to release some product to retail - one hardbound and one paperback a year do keep an interest in the game going at the retail level.

Retailers do report that DnD 4e and Pathfinder sales are brisk so there is still interest for RPGs at the retail level.

At conventions Gurps still pulls good numbers and I'm at my first convention this year of a year filled with conventions - and I've brought all my Gurps 4e hardbounds to show off too.

I do look forward to getting Gurps Horror next - another beautiful book to add to my Gurps collection.

At retail stores, Zombie dice, Cthulu dice and Munchkin are a blast to demo however.

I know I did all I could do with marketing Gurps Low Tech. - I posted a very positive review at amazon.com, brought the book to retailers and I'm showing it off at a major gaming convention right now.

I'm almost 100% positive that we'll see a Gurps Horror 4e Full Color Hardbound. After that - honestly who knows.

The good news about Gurps Low Tech is that the .pdf sales were good so overall the project was viable.

Another thing - the book is a real bargin at $29.95 and I'm sure that overtime the print run will sell out.

For me - I do love the book - it completes the game - and I'm proud of the work SJG did in producing the line of 4e full color hardbounds.

Last edited by Whome?; 02-22-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: add more information.
Whome? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #282
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It's pretty clear that MIBs are out there at least in some areas, and they are doing stuff, so the low numbers for Low-Tech weren't because store owners weren't aware of it but probably because they (correctly) believed they couldn't sell it. I think it is likely that SJGames overestimated the demand (possibly by basing it on it's hype here).
Like we're talking about on the thread about brick and mortar bookstores going away, how many bookstores do you know which are still carrying GURPS books?

Even with the specialty gaming stores around here, which carry things like Munchkin and other games, many have stopped carrying much in the way of gaming books.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #283
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Like we're talking about on the thread about brick and mortar bookstores going away, how many bookstores do you know which are still carrying GURPS books?
The local B&N has a couple of bookcases for RPGs (but not GURPS). The local FLGS still carries GURPS, however.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #284
rlbeaver

I was happy to see that the game store in Syracuse, NY had one of each of the GURPS books, including Low Tech. Figured some might like to hear that... :)
Old 02-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #285
adm

With the various comments here about the viability of hard backs, which ones are in the pipeline, and how many more might SJGames produce? Do you know at what point it becomes no longer viable to print hard covers/soft covers? Will/can you tell us what that threshold is?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #286
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post

As I said, the real issue is that stores simply didn't order many copies. There are many possible reasons behind this, and we're doing our best to figure out what those are.
And other online distributors like Book Depository tell me that their distributor never supplied LT meaning they can't sell it to anyone who might want it (or might have already ordered it!)
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #287
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
And other online distributors like Book Depository tell me that their distributor never supplied LT meaning they can't sell it to anyone who might want it (or might have already ordered it!)
Yeah, those distributors didn't supply any big chains here either, which is why you can't even order GURPS Low-Tech from Barnes & Noble either.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #288
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Yeah, those distributors didn't supply any big chains here either, which is why you can't even order GURPS Low-Tech from Barnes & Noble either.
Well something has seriously gone wrong then.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #289
Edmonton Towing Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Well something has seriously gone wrong then.
I think it really comes down to the marketing. If its not in peoples faces, interest fades and distributors don't bother to carry popular titles. The question is, how do you keep something hot enough to keep everyone interested?
Edmonton Towing Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:36 PM   #290
memorax

Any news on when Gurps Vehicles will be released?
memorax is offline   Reply With Quote