Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #21
TimTimmy

Default Re: Wizard hopeful, needs questions answered

These were very helpful. I have to admit, I was pretty surprised how close my Goblin Wizard attempt was to Molly. I ended up watching a few other Cobb videos as well.

I don't know how the "overpowered" Word spells apply, as I am talking about a brand new character build, and not what he would look like at Stat40Total. He has a long way to go to get there. I have to say, I prefer 6/10/18 to 6/11/17 start, as it saves the 1000 exp for Lesser Magic Item Creation (for brand) & Wizard’s Wrath (for rod) when learned later on.

I was also thinking of leaving Alertness for others to take (I expect to travel with 5-7 Hero type party), and it can be taken later with no EXP penalty. That allows me to take a few 7-hex spells, as they seem to be 4 spells in one. And take Repair to fix those broken silver daggers that I an chucking each round to feel useful. (Actually I think it is every other round since I expect to have to ready each dagger for a round without the Thrown dagger talent - bonus to Halflings).

I also like Glamor as a permanent Disguise Self for those who hate Goblins. I don't know how to manage the 10 ST casting cost (eventually staff mana?), but I also don't understand what people are talking about when they say "apprentice." Can I use the apprentice (or fellow party member) ST to cast my spells? I know I can drain them for 5ST/1, but that is very inefficient.
TimTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #22
larsdangly

Also keep in mind that the characters that arise in campaign play may be very different from those created as 'white room' arguments. There is a path dependence to all this, as many players choose to funnel XP away from stats and into other things before 40 stat points are reached; in my experience, players start to prioritize things besides stats once their stat total reaches 36 or 37, and as far as I can tell they don't reverse that decision. Maybe ever.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:18 PM   #23
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTimmy View Post
I don't know how the "overpowered" Word spells apply, as I am talking about a brand new character build, and not what he would look like at Stat40Total. He has a long way to go to get there. I have to say, I prefer 6/10/18 to 6/11/17 start, as it saves the 1000 exp for Lesser Magic Item Creation (for brand) & Wizard’s Wrath (for rod) when learned later on.
A minor point, but creating brands is easy. Well, easyish. It can be cast by anyone who knows 7-hex fire, which is IQ 16 and costs 4 ST.

Apprentices with the Aid spell can give their ST to your main caster. Much better than Drain ST.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #24
Kieddicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTimmy View Post
but I also don't understand what people are talking about when they say "apprentice." Can I use the apprentice (or fellow party member) ST to cast my spells? I know I can drain them for 5ST/1, but that is very inefficient.
Apprentices work by casting the Aid spell on your main wizard to give them temporary ST. Since fatigue loss for casting spells comes from temporary ST first the fatigue will go away once the temporary ST is lost.
Kieddicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:35 PM   #25
hcobb

Havin the Apprentice, Elf wizard, age 20
ST 11, DX 12, IQ 9, MA 12
Talents: Bow, Literacy
Spells: Aid, Dark Vision, Fire, Staff
Language: Elvish
Weapons: Longbow (1d+2), Untalented silver dagger staff (1d-1, 1d occult)
Attacks and Damage: Punch (1d-2)
Equipment: 20 silver arrows, etc.

Note: Must put away the bow when casting Aid (or any other spell).
Old 11-30-2020, 01:57 PM   #26
TimTimmy

Thank you all for the answers. There is only so much one can glean by reading the rules. I missed Aid completely. Looking forward to playing soon.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #27
TimTimmy

Quick dumb question. Wouldn't the Elf apprentice above also need "Language - Human" as well? I can't figure it out because the languages section (p 44) is so ambiguous:

The human tongue (which all human characters
automatically know, and which will be the common
language, spoken by all creatures, in many places) is
useful, but some creatures will not speak it.

I did not see "Language - Human" in either the Elf, Halfling, Dwarf or Goblin description.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #28
hcobb

Languages are defined at ITL 44 and was indeed missing here. So replace for Literacy.

I add a -1 to reactions from "real" Race X for Goblins, Elves, Dwarves etc who only speak Common.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #29
TimTimmy

I didn't know TFT had "common" as a language, so it threw me what I Saw "All characters start off knowing the common tongue of their own race or locality. " on page 17. I just assumed goblins would speak "local goblin" as opposed to "common".

Thanks.