Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 11-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Molotail Halfling worked example

Note that the specific rules for readying a molotail at ITL 124 overrule the general ready in one turn ability of the Thrown Weapons talent, largely because this is a two-item combat tactic rather than a single item like a spear or dagger.

Halpless Halfling, age 20
ST 6, DX 12, IQ 12, MA 10
Talents include: Acrobatics, Dagger Expertise, Remove Traps, Thrown Weapons (and the prerequisites for these talents)
Spell: Lock/Knock
Language: Common
Weapons: Very Fine Dagger (1d+2), 5* daggers (1d)
Attacks and Damage: Punch (1d-4)
Armor: Do not wear any! (see below)
Equipment: Small Backpack, rations, lantern, 2*brand (to light the lantern), 6*molotail (fuel for the lantern), etc.

In molotail mode Hapless carries a brand in his offhand (which apparently lasts forever, just use a Lock spell to glue it into Wall Sconces when not adventuring) and takes a turn to ready a molotail in his primary hand (putting away a dagger at the same time if needed as per combat option (e) READY NEW WEAPON.)

The next turn (unless aiming is used), Hapless tosses the molotail with even odds to hit almost to the far side of the Melee map. This shot is aimed at the hex the wizard with Reverse Missiles is standing in and not the wizard himself of course.

This has a one in 54 chance of rolling a 17 or 18 and blowing up in Hapless' hand. When (note not if) this occurs Halpless then has a 3/DX roll (thanks to Acrobatics) of not getting soaked to death. Wearing any armor would cut down this 74% chance of survival and hence armor must not be worn. Assuming the roll is made Halpless then takes only 4 points of damage and must leave his hex the next turn or get cooked.

Last edited by hcobb; 11-29-2020 at 10:39 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
phiwum

Default Re: Molotail Halfling worked example

I looked at that one in 55 chance and wondered where it came from. I discovered a slight error, more likely a typo than anything.

4/216 = 1/54. Of course, that changes everything!

Honestly, I just posted this very minor correction because you made me do long division and I wanted something to show for the effort.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:21 PM   #3
Axly Suregrip

Henry,
You are saying wearing the armor reduces your DX thus harming your ability to make this save to avoid getting soaked by flaming oil. That makes sense.

I don't agree that acrobatics talent would help. It helps with avoiding falls and avoiding large falling objects. But that may be GM discretion.

---

Molotails are one of those weapons in game that are broken if it wasn't for their potential for self immolation. A single molotail in the hands of a beginner will take out a ST30 bear or anything else that will die after 44 hits beyond the one turn of armor protection.

Thus regardless of you build, it seems purdent to start with a couple of molotails and torch. We'll lose some champs along the way, but this will get beginning characters some experience. Then once you determine they are worth keeping, leave the molotails to the rookies.

Biggest downside: You should expect the GM to counter with foes with molotails.

There should be a defensive spell to deflect lobbed items from landing in your hex. Umbrella Of Deflection. Just like Turn Missiles except it deflects object dropping onto you into a random adjacent hex.

Or some other counter as anything this effective would drive folks to develop a counter tactic or defensive tool/option.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:56 PM   #4
hcobb

Wear a Stone Flesh ring.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:51 AM   #5
Skarg

Seems to me that in practice in our games, the rate of people holding torches and molotails becoming priority targets and getting killed very quickly (often resulting in them dropping both and burning to death) was very high.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote