Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-10-2018, 10:21 PM   #11
Hide

Default Re: Mordhau & Half-Swording 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
The idea behind mordhau, as I understand it, is that you take a balanced edged weapon (useless against armor) (...) (Turns out it does indeed show up in Martial Arts, at least in the "murder stroke" mentioned above by Mr_Sandman and in Longsword Fighting, so I wasn't crazy, just lacking in my search-fu)
Yeah, they mention it on MA, but it is not discussed.

Do note, the mordhau is employed to fight guys in armor. The same is true for half-swording (if you do not consider mordhau as part of it).

If you are curious, this video briefly explains how the half-swording grip works; it also talks about the mordhau.
Hide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:38 PM   #12
phayman53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Yeah, they mention it on MA, but it is not discussed.

Do note, the mordhau is employed to fight guys in armor. The same is true for half-swording (if you do not consider mordhau as part of it).

If you are curious, this video briefly explains how the half-swording grip works; it also talks about the mordhau.
And then there is also this video (which I posted on a similar topic a long time ago) where John Clements of ARMA spars with one of his students, who is wearing Gothic plate armor, and hits him in the head with a Mordhau. His student ends up being stunned and unable to continue the fight after several blows and the Sallet takes some significant dents.

Interestingly, his student was not wearing his arming cap under his Sallet, so his Sallet was only padding his head by the internal suspension (which is built the same way as a modern construction helmet). But this actually is not unrealistic as Sallet's often were not worn with additional padding underneath (a trade-off between heat and protection I guess).

This definitely shows that this was an effective technique!
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #13
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoncxs View Post
Hitting someone in the head with the pommel or cross guards while they are wearing a full plate helmet does cause damage, at a minimal it stuns them a lot and may cause nausea. One of my instructors does Harnischfechten and owns a suit and that was one of the first things he tried out, we hit him in the head with a feder, noting, hit him harder, meh. Tap him with the pommel, wtf.
It sounds like you ended him rightly. There's actually a video game called Mordhau where players can rightly end enemies as a ranged attack.

I would be interested in a variation on the Fast-Draw skill (or maybe just a technique for the Two-Handed Sword skill) for "Fast Pommel Twisting" for swords with threaded pommels, representing the ability to quickly detach or re-attach the pommel by twisting the grip.

Maybe someone Incompetent with swords might unintentionally and gradually unscrew their pommels by holding them like this then twisting wrongly. Pronation/supination could only be a maximum 180 degree rotation at a time, so that would be an issue to someone who constantly shifts between 1H/2H grips on a hand-and-a-half sword and could over time accumulate full-unscrewing via microtwisting even if it was only 10 degrees each time. Someone unskilled with swords may not notice this happening and think to correct it after battle even if there's plenty of time to do that.

Wide pommels stop hands from sliding down off the bottom of the handle (just like guards stop them from sliding up off the top) so a handle without a pommel (accidentally or voluntarily) could increase chances of losing hold of the sword if you're withdrawing after impaling something fleshy/spongy and the the grip is slippery from splashing blood or a sweaty ungloved hand.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
half-swording, mordhau