Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
lunelyre

Default Tethers and other such things

Hey!

Out of curiousity, can anybody remember whether or not Seattle ever gets a mention in any of the books? I'm musing over some home-grown locational things, and if I'm going to ignore something that's already in place, I'd like to know I'm ignoring it (just in case it's cool and I don't want to ignore it after all!). But Pike Place Market strikes me as a really lovely place for a Tether of Trade.

Of course, the first Starbucks is on the upper-level/top-side street at the Market, and given that people will wait in a truly impressive line in order to get their coffee there (with tourists taking pictures under the sign!), I can rather see Fleurity approving of the caffeine-worship.

On another note - anybody have any home-grown Tethers or Celestially interesting locations they remember fondly from a game?
lunelyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Tethers and other such things

I don't know about the books, but Seattle-area Tethers got some fun discussion here. You might look the thread over and see what inspiration you find. :)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
lunelyre

How did I miss this thread? Thanks, Rocket Man - total hero. :)
Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunelyre View Post
Because I hadn't yet tagged that thread with "tethers", perhaps?

(What, you thought the threads tagged themselves?)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Glad to be of service! And if you want to look beyond the northwest, we got into another discussion of Tether locations here .

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
lunelyre

You mean tags aren't spontaneously occurring phenomena? ;)

Ah, rock on. That's just the kind of thread I was looking for, and I see somebody thought about Ottawa and Gatineau, so my little gamer heart (Servitor of Jordi! The Cat Parliament! Although I don't know about the mandatory spaying...) is all a-twitter.

:) In other words: Thanks again!
Old 12-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
You mean tags aren't spontaneously occurring phenomena? ;)

Ah, rock on. That's just the kind of thread I was looking for, and I see somebody thought about Ottawa and Gatineau, so my little gamer heart (Servitor of Jordi! The Cat Parliament! Although I don't know about the mandatory spaying...) is all a-twitter.

:) In other words: Thanks again!
You're welcome!

And I added some photos to the web-based version of In Nomine Ottawa. Did I pick useful ones?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:27 AM   #8
tHEhERETIC

About to mess with a tether or four during my PbP game, I checked my archives and found I do not have L. Castellorum. I'm moving right now and every penny is precious, so getting it is not an option just now. Realizing that PbP is slow enough I may have it by then...but I still want to ask.

What tether mechanics are important to players? How loud are they to create? How loud are they to destroy? What would happen if someone were in transit when it was being destroyed?

What texts other than L Cast go into any kind of detail on the subject?

And especially for TPW players--what mechanics of tethers do you consider gospel, and would be jarring if a GM got them wrong?
Old 03-25-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
Whitelaughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
What tether mechanics are important to players? How loud are they to create? How loud are they to destroy? What would happen if someone were in transit when it was being destroyed?

What texts other than L Cast go into any kind of detail on the subject?
1) disturbance disrupts/destroys forming Tethers.
2) stabilizing a Tether requires a Superior, who will create disturbance turning up. See 1.
3) Tethers are Words, and taken out in the same way as Words. Or by completely vaporizing the location. No extra disturbance is created.
4) Then they'd be lost in the Celestial Plane - no biggie if they have a Heart, just head towards it.
5) The GMG has more on Words (and thus Tethers) than L Cast does. The Tether-specific Songs are in Liber Canticorum. L Cast is pure flavour text. My copy is pristine from lack of use.

Last edited by Whitelaughter; 03-25-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Jason

Seneschals within their own tethers are crazy powerful (especially if they're Word-bound to the tether and not just granted an attunement to represent the connection). They can avoid death by drawing on Word-forces in celestial combat, and they can assume celestial form before receiving what would otherwise be a killing blow in corporeal combat. Shedite and Kyrio seneschals can possess the tether itself.

The process of creating tethers can't be forced, but it can be influenced. Sometimes it takes years, and sometimes it takes moments. It typically requires some kind of human attention, but some natural features can trigger it as well (like a volcano or a mountain going to Gabriel or David). See Fall of the Malakim for an example of some celestials trying to get humans together and create a Tether to Creation. (I believe it involves the Angel of Catchy Tunes and the Demon of Strippers getting together and singing on the street, drawing a crowd during a riot.)
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tethers