Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2017, 02:01 AM   #18
JaJacob

Default Re: [Magic] RPM, Paths, Realms - So many variants, but which one to choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I would use Sense for Path of Magic as a general predictor or the appropriate Path for specific winds.
Yes, that makes sense. Was thinking the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post

While I love RPM (and I'm using a highly modified version in my current campaign setting) it doesn't always lend while to the campaign's premises. My last campaign used Sorcery for example because it just didn't work with the game mechanics and premise of the setting.

If I were the OP I'd look at what I was trying to do in-game first and then find (or build) a magic system that matches it.
Well RPM is best starting point for what I'm picturing, both flavor and mechanic wise.

I will go with classic RPM threshold with energy accumulation if I won't figure out anything else. It's very solid and represents close enough what I want. Most likely I would introduce extra dice for accumulation, depending on wind of magic.

Effect shaping RPM is also strong candidate. It looks like it would be the simplest to manage in game. Very fluid to represent all the variables to casting, be it some idea of wind of magic, place of power etc. which all comes to extra + or - to skill roll and fast enough since it would be resolved in a single roll. Then bolt on the usage of threshold or corruption for fast casting.
JaJacob is offline   Reply With Quote