Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 01-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
tremorlaine

Default Discarding/trading cards (Space Munchkin)

Ok, we just had the most messed up, Munchkinly, game of Munchkin that I've ever had. During this game quite a few questions were raised. Each will be posted separately.

When discarding cards to power the Mutants ability (discard 2 card from a deck to draw one more) can a player discard a Cheat! card that was already in play on an item and then another Door card to draw a new card?

Can a card such as Experimental be separated from the Item it is on to qualify as one of the two cards discarded? Same for Ship Enhancers?

Lastly, when Player A is in combat (incidentally to win the game) can other players gut their own boards to funnel cards to a Mutant (who is not in combat himself) to power his ability and continuously get cards to look for combat modifiers? We ruled yes and this caused a very interesting end of the game where everyone ended up naked and shipless. )This tactic worked to block 2 different people from winning.)
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:51 PM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Discarding/trading cards (Space Munchkin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorlaine View Post
Ok, we just had the most messed up, Munchkinly, game of Munchkin that I've ever had. During this game quite a few questions were raised. Each will be posted separately.

When discarding cards to power the Mutants ability (discard 2 card from a deck to draw one more) can a player discard a Cheat! card that was already in play on an item and then another Door card to draw a new card?
Munchkinman has ruled in the past that you can't separate Cheat! in order to discard it. Thus, that sounds like an invalid play.

Quote:
Can a card such as Experimental be separated from the Item it is on to qualify as one of the two cards discarded? Same for Ship Enhancers?
All Enhancers are permanently attached (as per that thread I linked). You could discard a Ship and it's Enhancer at the same time as two cards, though.

Quote:
Lastly, when Player A is in combat (incidentally to win the game) can other players gut their own boards to funnel cards to a Mutant (who is not in combat himself) to power his ability and continuously get cards to look for combat modifiers? We ruled yes and this caused a very interesting end of the game where everyone ended up naked and shipless. )This tactic worked to block 2 different people from winning.)
I'd say yes, but upon reading the Mutant text in the Munchkin Thingies document, I notice that it says you cannot use the ability "during a combat". I believe this stops you using this power during any combat, not just during the combats you are physically in. This is different to the phrase "during combat" which does only count those combats you are fighting in.

If I'm wrong (Edit: I wasn't wrong, see MM's post below) about the "during a combat" thing, then it would seem to be a valid tactic. But the person who is actually fighting can probably claim he's left reasonable time enough if the first few cards don't help, just like with Munchkinomicon abuse.

Last edited by Clipper; 01-22-2013 at 04:54 AM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:48 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Can you trade Items in play to a Mutant during combat? Yes, as long as he is not also in combat. Can the Mutant then use the ability he's not allowed to use when a combat is taking place while someone is in combat? No.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
tremorlaine

Sweet. Thanks for the clarifications.

That means I actually did win that game since I was the first poor sap the tactic was used on.
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Clipper

Due to another thread, I just realised that both my opinion and MunchkinMan's ruling neglected to refer to the FAQ. The FAQ actually says the following:

Quote:
Q. The Mutant has an ability to discard cards to get new ones, but that can't be done during a combat. Does that mean a Mutant can't do that when anyone is combat, or just him?
A. Just him.
The FAQ directly contradicts both of our answers. Thus, either we were both wrong, or the FAQ is wrong. Which is it?

It should probably be noted that discussion in the other thread might also settle this issue.