Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Extra Eyes?

The only time I saw that "extra eyes" was mentioned was in 360 Vision. The number of eyes doesn't affect point cost.

What? Why not?

My problem with this is that it should effectively make it easier to hit you in the eye, right? There has to be some kind of disadvantage for that. He's not a character, but I'm making sort of a boss that has eyes (big and small) all over his body. I'm sure there has to be rules about having tons of exposed eyes like that.

Maybe I missed it. If anyone can give me a reference to something that will help or can come up with some fair house rules, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Extra Eyes?

the reason number of eye don't effect the cost, is because what mater isn't the ho many the give you, but how big your arc of vision.

because if you had 8 eyes on your face but dint have peripheral vision better than a humans. the other 6 aren't helping you.

Also more eyes without more size means the eyes are probably smaller... also you got to take out more of them before One eye and or blind kick in

and if you do have the more size then the SM is already making it easier to hit
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
lexington

You'd need an absurd number of eyes to make it noticably easier to hit you in the eye a which point you might as well just have a Weakness.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Back ups vs. more places not protected by skull DR.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Back ups vs. more places not protected by skull DR.
The backups are a nice plus. The lack of skull DR isn't always relevant though, as in the cases of eyes on stalks or eyes on parts of the body other than the head.

Although this thread raises another couple of questions -

What if your eyes are somewhere else, like on the neck, or on your torso (who knows, maybe where we have our nipples)? That seems at least mildly beneficial, since you don't have two holes that have no DR leading straight to your brain, and worth points.

And what if the eyes are bigger, having higher SM? Or lower SM? Lower eye SM for eyes seems unambiguously good as the eyes are smaller and higher eye SM unambiguously bad as eyes are bigger, and both cases seem like they should be worth points (maybe levelled perk and quirk, respectively?).
Old 04-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Something like this DeviantArt link is what I'm talking about. It's obviously a total fantasy-type idea, but I figured having so many weak points would have some sort of disadvantage to it. Of course, the problem is not the 360 vision. That's fine. My question is: What do extra eyes cost/save in points?
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
My question is: What do extra eyes cost/save in points?
Net 0-point feature. More weak points, yes, but also more redundancy protecting you from blindness (both temporary, such as "dirt in the face/eyes" or permanent from damage to the eyes). Only if the eyes give you a wider field of vision do they cost points - either Peripheral Vision or 360 degree Vision. Loss of an eye may cause you to lose those advantages and/or give you No Depth Perception.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
360 vision, extra eyes, hit location