Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-02-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Gollum

Default Re: Basic Set Unarmed Combat boxing questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
About question 4
Nope, you have to roll for knockdown any time you are struck in the head for enough damage to cause a shock penalty.
However, it wouldn't be at -5 unless it was a major wound.
Yes.

And, so a 1 point of damage injury in the head can stun you or even knock you out if it is a critical failure or if the margin of failure is 5 or more (see page 420).
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
Oh! A lot of people answered you as I was writing my own answer... I made a good choice to write it question by question rather than all in a raw... Thus, I can avoid repeating what they already wrote...

I do agree!

The rules, in the paragraph "Attack" (Basic Set, page 365) say: "Movement: Step.", and not "Steps"; and, in the paragraph "Retreat" (Basic Set, page 377), they say: "you must move away from your attacker: at least one yard... exactly as for a step", which leads me to the conclusion that it is not just a house rule. But it is still an interpretation of the rules. So once can disagree.
The full quote "you must move away from your attacker: at least one yard, but not more than 1/10 your Move - exactly as for a step (see Step, p.368)". This does not imply that Retreat and Step are the same, only that their maximum distance is the same. Also, a Step preventing your Retreat doesn't mesh with the fact that moving faster than your Basic Move is specifically mentioned as preventing a Retreat.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #13
Anaximander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
I fully do agree here again.

There is a karate technique, named "morote tsuki" which allows to strike with two hands exactly at the same time. It is quite easy to do after a parry, and hard to defend against... It can be used in a modern Call of Cthulhu adventure. But I never see any boxer use it. It is very specific to some karate and kungfu schools and, of course, it was not known by westerners during the roaring twenties (except people with an asiatic origin, of course). But, since you are playing in a modern campaign, no problem for your player characters...
This kind of punching is illegal in boxing today. Laurent Dauthuille, Jake LaMotta and Francois Botha all got in trouble for it rather frequently. Lots of punching styles and locations are off limits. Of course rules could be very different in a bare knuckle illicit match, and in the past the rules have been different. Uppercuts were very popular until they were outlawed. Also, even in a professional match, nothing is illegal if the referee didn't see it!
Anaximander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #14
Anaximander

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Unarmed Combat never takes a handedness penalty unless you use certain optional rules from Martial Arts.
Aesir23, do you have a citation for that?
Old 08-02-2010, 03:09 PM   #15
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
Aesir23, do you have a citation for that?
Well, it's outright stated in the Harsh Realism for Unarmed Fighters box on MA124, for one thing.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #16
Anaximander

Quote:
Well, it's outright stated in the Harsh Realism for Unarmed Fighters box on MA124, for one thing.
A-ha. I see I forgot a single sentence in a side box of a sourcebook. How foolish of me to even ask. Grazie.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #17
Gollum

Quote:
Er, one can, but I can't imagine how you reconcile that interpretation with the book.
Simple. Maneuver, movement allowed: one step; Retreat, movement required: one step. Step (page 368): “most maneuvers allow you to take a step.”

Quote:
The movement listed for maneuvers is taken immediately, as part of the maneuver. There's nothing anywhere that says you have to save some of it for a retreat, or indeed that you can save any of it, for anything.
Right.

But nothing in the rules says you have to step just before your attack or just after your attack… You are not even enforced to step at all. It is just an option.

The turn begins when you choose your maneuver and ends when you choose your next maneuver, doesn't it? So, if the movement is part of the maneuver, the defense is part of the maneuver, too. The maneuver governs your defenses as well as your move… It is even written exactly with the same typo: “Movement: …”, “Active Defense: …” So, to my mind, it is linked.

Quote:
If a Retreat had to be part of your normal movement for a maneuver you couldn't do it at all.
Yes, you could do it… Because nothing in the rule enforce you to do your step before your active defense. And since the rules specify that “you can retreat only once during your turn” (Retreat, page 377), there is another link, here.

But, as I wrote it, it is just a point of view. My point of view. And a lot of people can disagree, of course, because I agree with you: this is not rule as they are explicitly written. Just an interpretation.

I can be completely wrong, of course. But I do believe that my point of view remains coherent.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
Anaximander

Indeed it is, sir. I think this is a house rule that could be great success, if a bit complex in terms of keeping track of step use.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #19
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
The full quote "you must move away from your attacker: at least one yard, but not more than 1/10 your Move - exactly as for a step (see Step, p.368)". This does not imply that Retreat and Step are the same, only that their maximum distance is the same.
Wow! A good point here…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
Also, a Step preventing your Retreat doesn't mesh with the fact that moving faster than your Basic Move is specifically mentioned as preventing a Retreat.
And another good point…

But note than when you all-out attack, you can only move forward (up to half your move), which prevent you to retreat in most of cases. When you move and attack, you cannot any more retreat. A possible interpretation: you have use all your move and then cannot anymore move.

Having said that, reading again the first sentence of the rules about retreat, I see clearly: “ “Retreat” is not a seperate defense but an option than you may add to any active defense against a melee attack.” So, I may be wrong, I may be wrong…
Old 08-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #20
lexington

Quote:
I can't find in anywhere in Basic Set, which is odd.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic set, boxing, rules question, two-handed combinations, unarmed combat