Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: DWA and rapid strikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Better reserved for The Flash than even a super martial artist, eh?
Nah, there are many Anime Martial artiest that have that attack, such as Ranma 8)

100 Blows Fists of Fury! Innate attack (thr+1 cr) (Chi -10%; Melee (ST-Based +100%; Rapid Fire, 100 +250% ) [9] (uses Karate instead if Brawling)

thr+2 would be [14]

Last edited by roguebfl; 07-16-2010 at 11:40 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:19 AM   #12
MatthewVilter

I'm new to the game so take what I say with big grain of salt...

I don't have MA so that may make what I say kind of irrelevant...

Okay, I think this stuff works a lot different than what others have said so far! On page B417 it says:

"...you can strike with two hands at once using an Attack maneuver instead of an All-Out Attack (Double) maneuver."

To me this says you can fight with two weapons by using an AoA (Double) maneuver or an Attack (DWA) maneuver. Moreover you can't use a DWA as part of an AoA (Double) maneuver.

On page B370 it says:

"If you...have multiple attacks...you can replace one of them...with two attacks..."

So it looks to me like you can:

Attack -> 1 attack at +0
Attack with DWA -> 2 attacks at -4/-8
Attack with DWA and RS -> 3 attack at -10/-10/-8 or -4/-14/-14
AoA (Double) -> 2 attacks at +0/+0, or +0/-4 if you use the offhand (no defense)
AoA (Double) with RS -> 3 attacks at +0/-6/-6, or -6/-6/-4 or +0/-10/-10 if you use the offhand (no defense)

If this is wrong I will be glad to learn! :)

Last edited by MatthewVilter; 07-17-2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Grammer
MatthewVilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #13
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewVilter View Post
Okay, I think this stuff works a lot different than what others have said so far! On page B417 it says:

"...you can strike with two hands at once using an Attack maneuver instead of an All-Out Attack (Double) maneuver."

To me this says you can fight with two weapons by using an AoA (Double) maneuver or an Attack (DWA) maneuver. Moreover you can't use a DWA as part of an AoA (Double) maneuver.
[...]

If this is wrong I will glad to learn! :)
you have every right except this one. What B417 says you can use Two weapon with DWA without the draw back of no defense of AoA(Double), no that it cant also be used with it.

You might have noticed i Quoted Kromm, as you said you were new you might not know is Sean Punch (a name you might know from the Cover of the Basic set) and is the GURPS Line Editor
Old 07-17-2010, 12:48 AM   #14
MatthewVilter

Okay that's what "Line Editor" means... :) wow cool!

Thank you but I don't understand. :/

I see that (as with RS) you can't DWA with more then one attack on your turn. But I don's see how that makes a DWA anything other than an Attack -maneuver- and if it is a type of Attack maneuver how could it be used with an AoA?
Old 07-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #15
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Okay that's what "Line Editor" means... :) wow cool!
Yep, It means he in charge of making sure the rules remain in sysnic with each other over all the books of the GURPS line.

Quote:
Thank you but I don't understand. :/

I see that (as with RS) you can't DWA with more then one attack on your turn. But I don's see how that makes a DWA anything other than an Attack -maneuver- and if it is a type of Attack maneuver how could it be used with an AoA?
DWA is not a maneuver, it is an attack option, it be done with any attack maneuver-- such as All out Attack, Attack, Move and Attack--just like RS.

it just you can't use both RS and DWA within the same Manuver.

Note Exrta Attack is not an extra maneuver but an extension of any attack maneuver (and only attack maneuver so it does not work will Move, though it works with Move and Attack).

How ever Alter Time Rate gaves you an extra maneuver per level. So You could RS on the first maneuver then DWA on the second maneuver with that in the same turn.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:03 AM   #16
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Better reserved for The Flash than even a super martial artist, eh?
Possibly. It is however a way to do what the OP seems to want done.

Any GM, after all is perfectly free to disallow it for any relatively realistic campaign as it greatly out performs what 'actual' hand to hand combat does in the game.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 AM   #17
MatthewVilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Yep, It means he in charge of making sure the rules remain in sysnic with each other over all the books of the GURPS line.
He must be quite a badass! (dead serious)

Quote:
DWA is not a maneuver, it is an attack option[...]
This is where you lose me. I can see that "...you can strike with two hands at once using an Attack maneuver instead of an All-Out Attack (Double) maneuver." could be an explanation of the benefits of DWA but I read it as the explanation of how to do it. And if it is not I don't see where it is explained how to make a DWA. The last paragraph in the box talks about "trading" an attack for a DWA but only in the context of already having multiple attacks.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:38 AM   #18
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Nah, there are many Anime Martial artiest that have that attack, such as Ranma 8)

100 Blows Fists of Fury! Innate attack (thr+1 cr) (Chi -10%; Melee (ST-Based +100%; Rapid Fire, 100 +250% ) [9] (uses Karate instead if Brawling)

thr+2 would be [14]
GCA says 31 pts not 9. I got Crushing Attack (1) (Chi; ST-Based; Partial Dice (+1); Rapid Fire (+100)) [31]

And you have a net +340% on your attack power. No way does 1d+1 Crushing at +340% come out to nine points.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:41 AM   #19
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
This is where you lose me. I can see that "...you can strike with two hands at once using an Attack maneuver instead of an All-Out Attack (Double) maneuver." could be an explanation of the benefits of DWA but I read it as the explanation of how to do it. And if it is not I don't see where it is explained how to make a DWA. The last paragraph in the box talks about "trading" an attack for a DWA but only in the context of already having multiple attacks.
Without additional Advantages there are two ways to attack with 2 weapons in 1 turn.

an Attack option that works with any attack maneuver for a -4/-4 penalty is Dual weapon Attack.

or the Attack maneuver All Out Attack(Double), for -0/-0 to hit but sarrficing defence.

that how you can attack with 2 weapon in one turn. BUT because AoA(Double) is an Attack maneuver you can also use the attack option DWA with it getting 3 attacks at -0/-4/-4 .
Old 07-17-2010, 01:44 AM   #20
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain View Post
GCA says 31 pts not 9. I got Crushing Attack (1) (Chi; ST-Based; Partial Dice (+1); Rapid Fire (+100)) [31]

And you have a net +340% on your attack power. No way does 1d+1 Crushing at +340% come out to nine points.
Um Thr+1 use the Partial Dice Rule. +1 is 0.25 of 5/level or 2 points. the thr comes from Melee (ST-based)

[31] is 1d+1 not +1, base for 31 you doed Thr+1d+1 not Thr+1

Tags
combat rules, dual-weapon attack, two-handed combinations