Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #21
Leynok

Default Re: Sorcery: replacing fatigue cost with something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weso12 View Post
Actually I just realized the problem with this is that unless you spend on average more than 300 points on Sorcery Spells, you are paying more then if you had no limitation at all.
This is why I tend to give players 10 levels of any Energy Reserve when they purchase the first level, if it isn't a campaign feature that everyone has at 10 to begin with. Limiting your character should never cost points.
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #22
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
If the ER is something that everybody has, but only sorcerers use, then it could be a campaign feature that doesn't cost points.
That's the same thing as saying "Sorcery comes with a free heap of ER." Personally, I'd prefer adding in ER that everyone can use, at least to some extent, and simply have sorcerers have more uses for it (much as FP is already).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #23
PK

Quote:
I think the last might be the best solution As in just removing the -5% cost fatigue limitation I just always assumed that it would be bad idea to remove that for balance reasons but I guess if the co-line editor says it's okay then it's fine.
Well, it's not so much "balance reasons" as that it will make sorcery feel less like magic and more like a super-power. Basically, without that 1 FP cost, there's zero "resource management" involved in sorcery; a sorcerer can cast spells nonstop, all day long, without wearing out. That's why I think just using Alternative Rituals is the best move; because that way they have other drawbacks that keep it all feeling more "sorcerous."

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #24
ArchonShiva

Using Alternative Rituals and Energy Reserve Only probably works, points-wise. Basically, no Sorcerer needs an ER, but it's good in emergencies.
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #25
weso12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Well, it's not so much "balance reasons" as that it will make sorcery feel less like magic and more like a super-power. Basically, without that 1 FP cost, there's zero "resource management" involved in sorcery; a sorcerer can cast spells nonstop, all day long, without wearing out. That's why I think just using Alternative Rituals is the best move; because that way they have other drawbacks that keep it all feeling more "sorcerous."
Yeah I think requiring the alternative rituals would be best now you bring it up.

P.S. Suprised you never brought up my issue with Energy Reverse costing more than not having any limitation at all.
weso12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:07 PM   #26
PK

Quote:
Yeah I think requiring the alternative rituals would be best now you bring it up.

P.S. Suprised you never brought up my issue with Energy Reverse costing more than not having any limitation at all.
That's because it isn't necessarily an issue; it just works out that way if you buy every single ability that might use the ER with "Costs Fatigue, ER Only." And even then, you're still better off in some ways than the person with no ER, because you have a dedicated pool to draw upon and a separate pool of personal FP to use for extra effort, other abilities, etc., and both recharge independently of each other.

I acknowledge that in some cases the savings from the base Costs Fatigue limitation won't offset the extra FP or ER that you buy to support it, which is why some people house-rule a higher limitation value for Costs Fatigue. Personally, it might have been simpler had Fourth Edition taken a GURPS Magic approach and ruled that all active advantages cost fatigue to use, then charge an expensive enhancement to remove it. But (A) no point in contemplating that now and (B) that would probably have its own balance issues.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:37 PM   #27
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Personally, it might have been simpler had Fourth Edition taken a GURPS Magic approach and ruled that all active advantages cost fatigue to use, then charge an expensive enhancement to remove it. But (A) no point in contemplating that now and (B) that would probably have its own balance issues.
Certainly other RPGs have played with a similar kind of concept, particularly "powered" oriented RPGs. Another approach is baking in some strict "cooldown periods" or uses per day (or both) on anything more complicated than a small bonus. The third is building in purchase of funky abilities into the character ("You get 200 points and one of these three powers) and severely restricting the number chosen.

But they're not GURPS :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sorcery