Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 06-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #1
BackhandStudent

Default Class/Race

I am wondering if multiples of the same class and race are allowed in play. In the directions under "Asking for Help" it brings up that that if two people are facing the Drooling Slime, and there is an elf in play the monster's combat strength goes up by four, only once regardless of if you are an elf too. Also then under the "Race" and "Class" it says, "You may not belong to more than one race/class at a once unless you play the Half-Breed/Super Munchkin," respectively," card. You may not have two copies of the same Race/Class card in play." How I take this is to be there can't be two elves, or two warriors, in play. Seeing that playing two elves with the Half-Breed card does not give any advantage or disadvantage and would be unlogical.
BackhandStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
Mister Ed

Default Re: Class/Race

No, any number of different people can have the same class or race. One player just can't have two copies. It might not seem logical for anybody to want that, anyway, but trust me, somebody would try to argue for one if they didn't make that explicit. (For instance, somebody might argue, if they were allowed two Elf cards in play, that when they helped somebody win a combat, they should get TWO levels...one for each Elf race they had. Or a "double Thief" might argue that they could backstab twice, etc.)
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
BackhandStudent

Thank you for clearing that up. Also that does make sense as in why it needs to be stated.
BackhandStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 PM   #4
JonaBullets

Furthermore on the same topic line, I have a question regarding what is stated in the following document...Munchkin Flowchart UK

I'm not sure if this is an official flowchart, so hence the question... It mentions at the top that "Once combat starts you cannot change what you are carrying in play (but you can discard your Race or Class.)"

I stumbled across the Rigged Flash Demo, and half way through it, I drew a "Shrieking Geek".

Current In Game Cards: Warrior (Class), Chainsaw of Bloody Dismemberment (+3), Boots of Butt-Kicking (+2)
Current Level: 2
Total Combat Strength = 7

Shrieking Geek = Level 6, (+6 to Warriors) = Level 12

Based on the rule above (in the PDF), I could potentially through out my Class Card, still giving me a combat strength of 7, but reducing the Geek's combat strength to 6. Thus allowing me to (at the time) be able to kill it?

In the same fight, I have a Baby (-5 to monster) card, which the demo tells me I should play, to reduce the Geek's limit to 7, but is then counteracted when the "computer" plays Enraged (+5 to monster) putting me back to the same combat score of 12.

He then tells me I should has for help, and seeing it's only me and him, he is the only one I can ask, and he helps, but being an Elf, he gets a level for it.

In short, based off the rule in that Flowchart, could I discard my Class/Role card (in combat) to avoid the +6 (or other Class/Race effecting trait)?

(I couldn't see anything in the official rule stating that a Class/Role card chouldnt be thrown out)
JonaBullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You may discard a Class or Race at any time, including during combat or another player's turn. You may only PLAY a Class or Race on your turn, unless you somehow get it on another player's turn, in which case you may play it immediately.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
JonaBullets

Ha, Sweet! So I could have out smarted that Demo :P Thanks for the heads up :)
JonaBullets is offline   Reply With Quote