Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-23-2019, 10:02 AM   #1
slaapliedje

Default Expansions and balancing.

So I just kept adding new cards to my Box of Holding.

But as we were playing last night, there were many rounds where there simply were no monsters being drawn.

Amazingly we had one of the cards in play that required level 11 to win, and got 5 of the 6 players up to level 10, while the last (unfortunately me) was at level 9. And we kept preventing each other from winning until we couldn't and someone eventually drew a monster that we couldn't steal the level away!

There were some complaints though about the ratio of monsters to other cards.

Does someone have a good recommended mix of what expansions to use, and which ones to not. I mean it could have just been bad luck, and for the most part when you have 5 players even the huge deck of cards I have go through pretty quick.

Thanks for any advice on this.

(also as a side note, is there a way to get the board / accessories from Munchkin Deluxe, since I already bought the core game? I mean I could use the board from either Shakespear or Warhammer, but it'd be nice if I had the right theme of the original munchkin one).
slaapliedje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Expansions and balancing.

Sometimes, the shuffle works against you. However, if these were NEW packs you mixed in, the chances are that the monsters were clumped, because that's frequently how they come from the factory (it's an artifact of how we export the files). Always shuffle new Munchkin games and expansions thoroughly before playing.

There are a couple of ways to mitigate the "not seeing enough monsters" problem. The one I always recommend, especially when you're playing with multiple sets and/or expansions, is to use the "Listening at the Door" faster play rule on p. 6 of every Munchkin core game. You're guaranteed to see two Doors every turn and if you aren't facing monsters, you also get a Treasure - so it doesn't feel like you're totally stagnant. It's not a HUGE change but it does increase the odds that you can Look for Trouble.

As for the Deluxe board, we have you covered: check out the Level Playing Field. It's sized to fit inside a regular Munchkin box and even comes with extra cards. (Or, if Christmas is your thing, try the Yule Log instead.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:35 PM   #3
slaapliedje

Default Re: Expansions and balancing.

Awesome! I missed that rule!

Ordered the Level Playing Field, I looked all over and couldn't find that for some reason. Thanks again!

Ordered the Zombies sets I was missing too while I was at it...
slaapliedje is offline   Reply With Quote