Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Gigermann

Default [TacS, HT] Night Vision Monocles

There's not a lot of mention of "monocle" type NODs in GURPS, though I'm seeing them around a lot, these days; no mention in HT (unless I've missed it), and a brief mention in Tactical Shooting (p20—essentially, allowing one to avoid temporary blindness caused by white-out).

I recall from my (non-combat) Army experience, when using PVS-7s (a standard two-eye NOD), I would use them "sideways," covering only one eye, specifically to avoid the "depth perception" problem—which worked, in my case. From what I've observed lately, it seems the monocle allows one to use the weapon's sights as well, even scopes. Logically, the "peripheral vision" issue would remain, but only to the one side. So, the rules for the monocle would be as follows:
  • Negates No Depth Perception
  • Partially negates Tunnel Vision (to the off-side, only)
  • Allows "one-eye" night-vision adaptation
Any other considerations I've missed? Anyone with related experience have any comment?
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: [TacS, HT] Night Vision Monocles

Well, it's only going to negate those problems to the degree to which your eye can see in the dark anyway.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I know I talked about PVS-14s in the playtest; not sure what came of it. IME they don't quite eliminate those problems but they are better than 7 Bravos. One thing that happens is that you have to manually focus the NVG, but your eye auto-focuses, so it really only helps in the narrow range that you've got the PVS-14 focused on. IME it's almost as hard to drive with -14s as it with -7Bs; although it is a lot easier to see the dashboard instruments.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #4
Gigermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I know I talked about PVS-14s in the playtest; not sure what came of it. IME they don't quite eliminate those problems but they are better than 7 Bravos. One thing that happens is that you have to manually focus the NVG, but your eye auto-focuses, so it really only helps in the narrow range that you've got the PVS-14 focused on. IME it's almost as hard to drive with -14s as it with -7Bs; although it is a lot easier to see the dashboard instruments.
PVS-14s—I was trying to remember the nomenclature, but it wasn't coming to me :P

Happened to be reading up on the Green Eyes Perk (TacS38), and it sounds like using a monocle (such as the PVS-14) would grant the same sort of improvements:
Quote:
Your ranged attacks are at -2 (instead of -3), and you instinctively scan from left to right in a box-shaped pattern, which negates No Peripheral Vision completely.
But what if you have both, I wonder?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:13 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
Happened to be reading up on the Green Eyes Perk (TacS38), and it sounds like using a monocle (such as the PVS-14) would grant the same sort of improvements: But what if you have both, I wonder?
Maybe nothing. -2 is probably pretty much the limit there. OTOH I've never tried to shoot seriously with -14s without using a PEQ-15, so it's hard for me to say. With a PEQ-15, it's pretty easy, but not as good as daylight shooting.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
Gigermann

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Maybe nothing. -2 is probably pretty much the limit there. OTOH I've never tried to shoot seriously with -14s without using a PEQ-15, so it's hard for me to say. With a PEQ-15, it's pretty easy, but not as good as daylight shooting.
Man…they got all the cool toys in after I left. :P
Old 03-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigermann View Post
Man…they got all the cool toys in after I left. :P
So it goes. You could've stayed and be a Master Sergeant or whatever now and be alternatively freezing/roasting/getting blown up in some remote corner of Afghanistan now but you'd have a PVS-14 and a PEQ-15 on your M-4. :)