Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 09-20-2020, 11:26 PM   #1
ashareem

Default Error code 430 on startup of GCA

Short story long - I had to replace my Lenovo flex3 laptop earlier this year, I got a Surface Book 3. Did a fresh d/l of GCA and went to install this past week.

The installation appears to go well (I have an install log if it is needed, but on first run, it crashes with an "Run-time Error 430 - Class Does Not Support Automation or Does Not Support Expected Interface" error message.

This appears to be related to launching FRx, which I apparently do not have on my system. I'm also not finding a recent site on Microsoft to obtain this from.

I've run the clear cache and data setup tips from elsewhere in the forum, but, no joy.

Windows 10 Home
Version 2004, OS Build 19041.508

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks, Ashleigh
ashareem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:05 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Error code 430 on startup of GCA

A quick search of the forums I found four different threads talking about this and a similar error.

All four suggest that the problem may be either not properly installing with administrator privilege's or linked to an anti-virus package preventing GCA from properly installing all of its dependencies (which are included in the installer).

So, first thing to do is temporarily disable your anti-virus program, if any. Next, reinstall GCA, but make sure to right-click on the installer and manually select "Run as Administrator."
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
ashareem

Eric, thank you for the response. Yes, I had found those decade-old threads while searching for solutions. Unfortunately, none of them are working for me. :/

I have also followed Armin's suggestions from this thread, with no joy.

Quote:
So, what I recommend trying (even though you said you tried something like it) is this:

1) uninstall GCA from Add/Remove programs
2) delete the GCA folder completely (if you have saved characters in there, or custom data files, move them elsewhere first!);
3) REBOOT, and run nothing that you can avoid running
4) reinstall GCA but DO NOT RUN IT
5) apply the update patcher;
6) apply the update patcher AGAIN (if there's a hitch, this should catch it)
7) try running GCA.
Turned off Firewall and Malware (Windows Defender) Uninstall, reboot, reinstall, attempt update, fail, rinse, repeat, using the patcher, updates, DLL re-register, etc.. Uninstall, manually ensure that relevant directories are empty/removed. Yes, all as Administrator.

Manually set Firewall to allow GCA through. Still getting the 430 error.

Of course, this comes as our gaming group is returning to GURPS after an absence of a couple of years consorting with other Rulesets.

I love GCA, I've been using it since before it was an "official" SJ Games product. But unless I can figure this out, it looks as though I may be done with it, until the next version (please, Armin!) makes it to release.

Again, thanks, Eric. I want to recognize the immense amount of woirk you've done for this program over the years as well.

Last edited by ashareem; 09-21-2020 at 06:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-22-2020, 04:11 AM   #4
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashareem View Post
DLL re-register
I just want to make sure, does this mean that you downloaded and ran the appropriate Reg_Fix from Armin's website (almost certainly the 64-bit version)?

https://www.misersoft.com/gca/docs.php
Kaboom-baya.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
I have also followed Armin's suggestions from this thread, with no joy.
These days, if you re-download the full installer from Warehouse 23, you don't need to use the Patcher at all.

If you reinstall using the full installer, and the error persists, and then the reg_fix batch file that Eric linked to doesn't help, then I'm afraid I don't know where the problem lies.

(I'm working on the next GCA as best I can. It's getting really close to something happening there, I just have no idea yet when that might be.)
Old 09-22-2020, 10:01 PM   #6
jimminy

I'm in the same boat here.

I can get the program to run on a very old and very small laptop, but I have no luck on my newer PC and new laptop. I remember trying all the fixes back in the day and eventually getting things to work, but none of them seem to do the trick now. I tend to just copy all the 'Documents' files when I get a new computer. Perhaps some artifact gets transferred over that monkeys with the program. Who knows.

The frustrating thing is it has stopped me from playing GURPS. If I could just get the program working reliably on a device that is comfortable to use I'd probably be running a game now, after about an eight year RPG hiatus, and I'd certainly be buying more Steve Jackson Games products as a result. I have more money than I did ten years ago! Warehouse 23 would be plundered.

I know the program is basically a one man labour of love. Thanks for keeping the game alive all these years. It looks like I'll be waiting for the next version of the program too.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:27 AM   #7
ashareem

Hi Eric & Armin,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I just want to make sure, does this mean that you downloaded and ran the appropriate Reg_Fix from Armin's website (almost certainly the 64-bit version)?

https://www.misersoft.com/gca/docs.php

Yes, indeed.

New wrinkle: I booted up the nearly dead laptop previously mentioned, discovered that it had done a complete system refresh while supposedly powered OFF :/

Ran Windows updates on it. D/L a fresh copy of GCA from Warehouse 23 (which I had also done on the Surface Book), hit run. It installed, checked for updates and appears to more or less be functional, however, I can't seem to get it to apply a racial template to the test character I was going to make.

This leaves me wondering, what's the difference between the Lenovo install and the Surface install. I'll be spending the next few days going over both machines to see if I can igure this out - they both use Windows Defender as the malware, they are on the same network, so go figure. The OS is the sae on both machines, same build, same revision.

Armin, wonderful news about GCA5; I've been keeping an eye one your development blog for it over the past several years.

Last edited by ashareem; 09-23-2020 at 12:29 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #8
ericbsmith

Alrighty, I've just spent a little time rewriting the reg_fix batch file. I don't know that this will solve the problem, but it is smarter (combines the 32 & 64 bit files; check which one it needs to run), it covers more files (reregisters all 21 files mentioned in the GCA installer, not just the subset of 8 files the previous one did) and it will spit out an error message if one or more of the files is completely missing, listing which files are missing.

You can download my file here:
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/reg_fix_win.zip

The zip file is password protected, the password is gca
This is purely precautionary, since I am not running a proper https web server and batch files can be used for nefarious purposes if you're not careful.

I'd be interested to see if running this file fixes the issue for either of you or if it kicks back an error about any missing files.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 09-23-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:29 PM   #9
ashareem

Thanks Eric. I'm calling it a day for now, and will check the reg fix in the morning. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:25 PM   #10
ashareem

I lastly replied
Quote:
Thanks Eric. I'm calling it a day for now, and will check the reg fix in the morning. Fingers crossed.
Well, bugger all if I can figure out what the problem was, but it's not there now. In between the above previous and now, I needed to do a refresh of Windows OS, due to a different problem.

After that, the first thing I reinstalled was GCA, ran the updates, and decided to go for broke and hut run. It ran. No problem.

So, my best guess is that I had a corrupt system file that was kicking out the error, and no longer have it.

Thanks for the assist in troubleshooting, but it appears my problem is resolved.

New troubleshooting step: have you deleted and reinstalled Windows yet? :D

Tags
430, run-time error