Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #13
Polydamas

Default Re: Do the Archery rules cover this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Indeed. I stumbled across this video on RPGNet, where the original poster claimed that no RPG system covered this technique. To my chagrin, I discovered he was right about GURPS.

I am also interested in the alleged historical uses of this technique.
Have a look at G.T. Dennis' translation of the Strategikon attributed to Emperor Maurice, anything by David Niccole, or the book Arab Archery and A 14th-Century Archery Treatise in Mamluk-Kipchak: Kitab fi ‘Ilm an-Nushshab.

Because it is just a video meant to attract attention, I am not treating it as harshly as I would someone who made claims in writing and insisted that they were scientific or historical fact. I am actually impressed that you can do this in GURPS!

I think that our source for rapid shooting is a test for Mamelukes which required them to shoot three arrows at 70 m range so that the third was in the air before the first hit the target. Given range and velocity one can estimate time. But I doubt that they let Mamelukes cheat with light bows and very short draws.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature

Tags
archer, bow, bow art, martial arts, tactical shooting, weapon master