Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-29-2020, 12:48 PM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: Mega (or at least big) TFT dungeons!

I definitely recognize the effect of having a map & counters in play on players, even players who have never played map & counters RPGs before, and even when you put a map down for a mundane location such as a tavern or a ship.

The physical context tends to add a lot to players' relationship to what's going on.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #12
larsdangly

Some of the posts here suggest to me that there are folks getting into TFT who do not have that much experience creating dungeons (or at last big ones) from the ground up. A few recommendations to help you get started if this sort of thing interests you:

1) Run, don't walk, to a book seller and get The Dungeon Alphabet. It is an exceptional storehouse of creative ideas, and will help prime the pump or carry you through dry spells of your own creativity. A really fun book that is filled with practical, useful, game-able material.

2) Keep in mind that the best things about your megadungeon will be unique - stuff you dreamt up, that then took on a life of its own at the table when your players interacted with it. So, no matter how good Dungeon Alphabet might be, always remember you are even better (for your group, at least!)

3) large, home-cooked dungeons are like home-cooked settings in general: the best way to make them is not to sit down with a master plan and design the thing from top to bottom; rather start modest and focused, stop drawing and writing when you stop having fun, and let the thing develop over time. Your job is to stay 1 session ahead of the players; so long as you do that, they will never know the difference between a fully built dungeon and one you are making up on the fly. Plus that way you will always be writing with fresh ideas that arise from the lived experience of your own play sessions.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:00 PM   #13
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I'll see if I can create an annotated set of pictures to document what 10-15 minutes of play looks like. I'm sure it will take 10x longer to document than it does to play!
Or just do a 10 minute video from a player's POV.

It will be easier to make and will be a lot better at demonstrating the speed of it.
Axly Suregrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #14
ParadoxGames

As I've said before, The world needs more hex maps! I'd pleased tat you're doing this. I am in the process of publishing a book of hex maps myself, and one of the maps is not a mega-dungeon, but still a rather large 11-level underground lair that 1) is somewhat maze-like, and 2) easy to build with megahex tiles set 1 or 2. The dungeon is unstocked, but a legend is provided for some rooms to inform the GM if they are meant to contain a treasure, trap, dragon, etc. The other rooms are for the GM to fill as desired. I'm also working on a megadungeon of my own, and also a moderately large structure (100x100 hexes) of a unique nature.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #15
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I'll see if I can create an annotated set of pictures to document what 10-15 minutes of play looks like. I'm sure it will take 10x longer to document than it does to play!
Or just do a 10 minute video from a player's POV.

It will be easier to make and will be a lot better at demonstrating the speed of it.
Axly Suregrip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:14 AM   #16
AndreasDavour

I really agree with Lars about the Dungeon Alphabet. I will also add another suggestion. Roll a few dice on these tables. If that doesn't create something wonder inducing you need to check your medication. ;)
AndreasDavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #17
larsdangly

Wow, great link! I hadn't seen that blog, but it has tons of good stuff.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote