Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
Rick_Smith

Default Expansions and Splat books for TFT.

Hi all,
In a thread on adventures, I said that I would not mind seeing an expansion for Mechanicers and a bunch of sample artifacts. (Plus how to game figuring out how they work.) It occurred to me, that that article was in the wrong thread.

So this thread is for suggestions of new products to expand TFT, or ones that would expand a character class. Products that are primarily adventures should go in the adventures thread.

Some examples that have been discussed before:
-- Clerics and holy powers.
-- Thieves, stealth and hiding.
-- Undead.
-- Mechanician & artifacts.
-- Cidri world book.

What are some expansions that you would love to see in the new TFT. I suggest post could be either:

A) A suggestion of a new product. Provide as many details as possible as to why you think it would be cool and help the game.

--- OR ---

B) Simply say that you would love to see such and such a product that has already been described. e.g. "I would buy both the demonology and necromancy products that Philmoure Stephans the Third suggested."

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
marctabyanan

Default Re: Expansions and Splat books for TFT.

Rick, good question. There are so many of the GURPS setting books that would be great to have for TFT, like Greece, Rome or even China. Those should not be too difficult to convert.

Outside of that, I think the Symbaroum setting books are great. Not your standard fantasy world.
marctabyanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:19 AM   #3
Jim Kane
Banned

I would like to see:
  • Mass Combat
  • Siege Weapons
  • Nation Building w/rules for Commerce and Trade at the national level
  • Ships, Navy, and Pirates
JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
Chris Rice

I'd like to see stuff on:

*Religious/Spiritual Matters.
*Colleges of Magic
*Cidri World Book
*Gazetteers on sections of the world (like D&D GAZ series)
*Higher Tech levels.
Chris Rice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
JLV

Rick,

I'm assuming that your list doesn't include a Bestiary because you consider that a core book?

If not, a Bestiary should be the FIRST thing done.

In the Splat Book range, I'd also like to see something like the GURPS Fantasy Folk book (was that 3rd edition?) added to the list.

Rather than "Colleges of Magic," I would rather see a book on alternate magic systems -- it should include a "colleges" system, but I'd also like to see Rune Magic, Spellsinging, and other "styles" of magic. So what I'm thinking is something more along the line of the series of Wizardry books we got for GURPS, way back when.

I would also love to see a series of Cidri "Gazetteers" for various cool things and places as a follow on to a big Guide to Cidri book...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Rick,

I'm assuming that your list doesn't include a Bestiary because you consider that a core book?

If not, a Bestiary should be the FIRST thing done. ...
Yes. Altho SJ has said that all books would be in one, so perhaps he just means that the Monsters section of ItL will be expanded?

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #7
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Yes. Altho SJ has said that all books would be in one, so perhaps he just means that the Monsters section of ItL will be expanded?

Warm regards, Rick.
I think when he said that he was simply referring to AW, AM, and ITL all being in a single book. Expanding the Bestiary would be nice, but is probably a separate issue right now...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:02 AM   #8
zot

Religion: of course I'd like to see an expanded form of my document and future pamphlet-sized religion docs (maybe some published as magazine articles or blog posts)

Magic: magical schools, metamagical talents like increases in duration, target size, and saving roll difficulty, decreases in difficulty, etc., maybe each limited to a school

Unarmed Combat: mystic traditions, fighting styles (D&D 3.5 Complete Warrior's Drunken Master and Tattooed Monk were very cool)

An official TFT Blog: Like a digital Spacegamer just for TFT where staff and fans can post house rules and expansions!

Thieves

Rangers

Dark Magic and Religion: necromancers, sorcery, pacts, dark religions
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
[B]An official TFT Blog: Like a digital Spacegamer just for TFT where staff and fans can post house rules and expansions!
You are gonna love what Steve has in the works for later this summer . . .
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #10
ecz

- mass combat (not involving thousands of individuals but small groups of 10/50 per side in a large area, like an attack to a fortified village, the fight for a bridge, or an ambush of the goblins to the Great Caravan). The basic unit could be a sort of squad of 5-10 elements

- clerics and holy powers, or why a PC should "really" spend so many IQ points for Priest and Theologian talents

- guilds, how they works and why they are necessary

- bestiary, this should be easy and automatic.

- a well described "world" inside Cidri, for example the one making the background for the Death Test.

Tags
expansions, new products, rules, splat book, supplements