Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #21
tbeard1999

Default Re: NEW ARTWORK for MELEE & WIZARD LOGOS posted in Daily Illuminator 4/17/2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post
"Heating Spells"? Is that a typo or one of your jokes? ;-)

JK
Sadly, a typo. But it could've been a decent joke <sigh>.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #22
Kirk

Default Re: NEW ARTWORK for MELEE & WIZARD LOGOS posted in Daily Illuminator 4/17/2018

Quote:
I agree with your point on the Roger Stine cover-art, and off the top of my head, I believe your assessment holds true through-out most of the Robert Phillips artwork-at-large system-wide; if memory serves.

Kirk, can you give us your final assessment/decree on the topic-at-hand, being your opinion of the suitability of the proposed Melee and Wizard logos?

Thanks

JK
As far as the logos go, I'm inclined to render a verdict of slightly too cartoonish for the TFT I know and love. I am so happy that hell actually froze over that it can be easy to ignore planning singularities, like questionable artwork, but SJ, and us, need to guard against that.

Here is what I could find quickly on Stine, since I don't know much about him except the excellent cover work for TFT.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Roger_Stine

Thinking about Speedos that someone mentioned, when I was attending UT Austin in the early '80s my girlfriend and I were trying to decide on costumes and she pointed to the cover of Advanced M/W/ITL and said, what about that?

I asked her if she could really sew the costumes and she indignantly said, "Of course!". I had almost a perfect replication of the wizard costume, tights and all, for Halloween that year. I think, after 40 years, that the entire costume is still in a box in the garage somewhere, though I am sure the tights and probably the armbands have lost their zip, and most likely so has my ability to fit into them. :)
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #23
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
I think, after 40 years, that the entire costume is still in a box in the garage somewhere, though I am sure the tights and probably the armbands have lost their zip, and most likely so has my ability to fit into them. :)
What about the girlfriend?

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #24
tbeard1999

Quote:
As far as the logos go, I'm inclined to render a verdict of slightly too cartoonish for the TFT I know and love. I am so happy that hell actually froze over that it can be easy to ignore planning singularities, like questionable artwork, but SJ, and us, need to guard against that.

Here is what I could find quickly on Stine, since I don't know much about him except the excellent cover work for TFT.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Roger_Stine

Thinking about Speedos that someone mentioned, when I was attending UT Austin in the early '80s my girlfriend and I were trying to decide on costumes and she pointed to the cover of Advanced M/W/ITL and said, what about that?

I asked her if she could really sew the costumes and she indignantly said, "Of course!". I had almost a perfect replication of the wizard costume, tights and all, for Halloween that year. I think, after 40 years, that the entire costume is still in a box in the garage somewhere, though I am sure the tights and probably the armbands have lost their zip, and most likely so has my ability to fit into them. :)
Yeah, I find that older clothing has a distressing tendency to shrink.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:53 PM   #25
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
...and most likely so has my ability to fit into them. :)
ROFL!!!

Gentlemen, I think we all must be the unwitting victims of some evil Sorcerer to the North, who has placed a "Summon Middle-Age" spell on all of us! I suggest we form an Adventure Party, and route-out this roguish trickster, and break his accursed magic at once!

As soon as I can find my glasses, I will plan-out our overland route and make up our equipment list and supply needs... but first I need a little nap. ;-)

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 05-10-2018 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #26
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
What about the girlfriend?
When I had to leave Austin to find professional work (since Austin was fundamentally a small college town at the time) and she was still in graduate school, we broke it off.

She ended up marrying my college roommate! ;)
Old 05-09-2018, 05:39 PM   #27
Kirk

Quote:
ROFL!!!

Gentlemen, I think we all must be the unwitting victims of some evil Sorcerer to the North, who had placed a "Summon Middle-Age" spell on all of us! I suggest we form an Adventure Party, and route-out this roguish trickster, and break his accursed magic at once!

As soon as I can find my glasses, I will plan-out our overland route and make up our equipment list and supply needs... but first I need a little nap. ;-)

JK
Although I did spend most of the day trimming trees and hand sawing wood for our fireplace, I am up from *my* nap and can consider an adventure.

I remember being dismayed, after having used IQ, strength, and dexterity tests to determine TFT attributes just for kicks, along with skills gained along the way, knowing that somewhere around 50 began the attribute decline.

When I was 21 it was a long, long way off. Now after about a decade of attribute losses, we would probably be a sad party, indeed! ;) I, for one, would need a pack mule or two to carry the various vats of medicinal goods that help get me through the day, and would probably be good for about two hours of adventuring per day, every *other* day.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:20 PM   #28
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Although I did spend most of the day trimming trees and hand sawing wood for our fireplace, I am up from *my* nap and can consider an adventure.

I remember being dismayed, after having used IQ, strength, and dexterity tests to determine TFT attributes just for kicks, along with skills gained along the way, knowing that somewhere around 50 began the attribute decline.

When I was 21 it was a long, long way off. Now after about a decade of attribute losses, we would probably be a sad party, indeed! ;) I, for one, would need a pack mule or two to carry the various vats of medicinal goods that help get me through the day, and would probably be good for about two hours of adventuring per day, every *other* day.
LOL!! Kirk, you are killing me LOL!

I guess our Adventure Party would not quite resemble the classic STAR TREK episode: The Deadly Years, where the radio-active comet passed through the orbit of the planet Gamma Hydra IV; and Kirk and crew developed radiaton-sickness which presented as "Accelerated Old Age"; complete with: crankiness, stiff-joints, and failing short-term memories - but getting there LOL!

"Middle Age" - When your broad-mind and your narrow-waist exchange places. - E. Joseph Cossman

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:17 AM   #29
Chris Rice

You forget that with age comes experience. I have 30 plus years of learning to delegate and am now an acknowledged master of the art. Our party would consist of a large number of followers and poorly paid hirelings who would do all the work and take all the risks. We would ride in a carriage pulled by Unicorns and protected by magic with a goodly supply of choice food and wine. I'm not an ungenerous employer and I'd allow the survivors to divide 10% of the spoils amongst themselves 😊😊😊
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #30
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
You forget that with age comes experience. I have 30 plus years of learning to delegate and am now an acknowledged master of the art. Our party would consist of a large number of followers and poorly paid hirelings who would do all the work and take all the risks. We would ride in a carriage pulled by Unicorns and protected by magic with a goodly supply of choice food and wine. I'm not an ungenerous employer and I'd allow the survivors to divide 10% of the spoils amongst themselves 😊😊😊
It's called payin' your dues! :0

I do believe I have perfected one of the few spells I have as an experienced hero/wizard adventurer, being Invisibility. It works in bars, gyms, neighborhoods, any place where there are attractive young women, and it is always on without a strength drain when I wear my (wedding) Ring of Power.

The only place I haven't been able to successfully cast it is at the new car dealership!